The Narrowboat at Stowe Hill

suziq

Featured Posts

At that price you can afford to wobble!

Mind you they don't care who they let in there!! :cheers:

Land Rover trialers, rowdy New Agers, even rally drivers!

I may resemble one or more of those! :)

Having a chat with one of my fellow boaters over the weekend, it transpires that the new owners of The Narrowboat Public House/Restaurant do not want boaters to frequent their premises - the landlord having stated this fact to my boater friend (obviously not realising that she was in fact a boater herself).

Considering the pub is right by the canal and any person mooring up nearby (ie hirers and the like) would go there to seek refreshment and food during the coming cruising months and pass a pub called "The Narrowboat", they will obviously go into the pub, only to be turned away if they are not dressed in "appropriate attire", ie shirt and tie and no shorts.

I had already heard of a boater being turned away whilst dressed in shorts and t-shirt, although the landlord of the pub was actually dressed in shorts and t-shirt at that particular time.

Also the prices at the pub will set you back a pretty penny - a round of drinks for the boater I was talking to cost £41 (for four people). When she queried the price of her large wine (stating that she had not bought a bottle of wine, only a glass), they advised her it was £8 (because it was Chardonnay). If it was house white it would have cost her £7.50!!

Maybe The Narrowboat should change their name to something more appropriate (any ideas??)

Am I the only one that is suspicious about this post, we have no explanation why only the alleged cheapeast drink was commented on, and as Alan has commented £11 a drink for the remainder is ridiculous, you can get three/four pints for that in London!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Am I the only one that is suspicious about this post, we have no explanation why only the alleged cheapeast drink was commented on, and as Alan has commented £11 a drink for the remainder is ridiculous, you can get three/four pints for that in London!

Tim

I agree sounds strange, £41 for 4 drinks I do find really hard to believe, unless it was something really exotic. The weekend before last we ware at Twickenham for the Help for Heroes rugby match and we stayed at the Marriott in the south stand. So a very expensive hotel in an expensive location, and at £9.70 for a pint of Guinness and a Pint of Stella (I know), I thought that pricey, but still less than half the price being quoted here.

Tim

And it was all hear say, not first hand information.

Interesting website for said pub..

http://www.narrowboatinn.co.uk/

Hardly fills one with confidence.

Another good pub probably poncified to death.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/70/7097/Narrow_Boat_Inn/Weedon

It seems many more are going for the elusive high-end diner crowd. One of my favourite dog friendly local pubs (The Ship in Parkgate) has just banned dogs, given the place a lick of paint, put the prices up to deliberately send the locals elsewhere (cheapest lager nearly 4 quid a pint) and increased their food prices considerably.

Not sure if their strategy will work. At least my other local is too small to be anything other than a quaint little two room pub...

I'm assuming them the Narrow boat is a pub co. operation and the previous tenants have escaped to preserve their sanity and livelihood...

Edited by MJG

I used to moor in that area until 2 years ago and visited the Narrowboat several times by boat. Always felt welcomed and the beer was decent and a reasonable price and the location is lovely. The restaurant was pricey so something more for a special occasion, but was very good quality. Its a shame if its changed.

Interesting website for said pub..

http://www.narrowboatinn.co.uk/

Hardly fills one with confidence.

Another good pub probably poncified to death.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/70/7097/Narrow_Boat_Inn/Weedon

Err it has already been said that the pub has changed hands. They have their own website now.

That said you do give me the opportunity to say what a lovely pub The Old Red Lion, at Kizzel, is.

I used to moor in that area until 2 years ago and visited the Narrowboat several times by boat. Always felt welcomed and the beer was decent and a reasonable price and the location is lovely. The restaurant was pricey so something more for a special occasion, but was very good quality. Its a shame if its changed.

I think the main problem pubs face is that unless you have owned/managed/run one full time people even other business people do not understand the MASSIVE operating costs involved especialy if you have a brew lease with one of the cowboy pub companies of which there are many. The price you pay at the bar bares no resemblance to the price it was originally purchased for. I very very rarely complain about the price, only once a few months ago did I KNOW I was being ripped off big time and that pub has since closed.

The electricity bills alone are ginormous becaus of all the fridges/freezers cellar cooling units etc etc etc etc and that is just one of many bills that need to be met. A long standing problem is that nearly EVERYBODY thinks they can run a pub which is patently wrong as very very few make a success of it, so there are plenty of lambs for the slaughter by the pub companys/breweries and when one goes bust there is always another hapless sod ready to fill his or her shoes and also lose all their money.

The cycle continues.

Edited by mrsmelly

Err it has already been said that the pub has changed hands. They have their own website now.

That said you do give me the opportunity to say what a lovely pub The Old Red Lion, at Kizzel, is.

hi folks. I have heard from a couple of different people this summer that the Narrowboat is pricey. one showed me the menu, interesting but a touch steep. I will, however, second the Red Lion at Kislingbury - went in for first time in years last autumn and pretty impressed.

cheers.

by gad sir but it's windy!

nigel

The Globe in Weedon is reasonable. The RBOA had our AGM there this year and I beliGeve the year before. Food reasonable and not expensive and a good selection of ales.

I didn't realise there was a place called the Globe @ Weedon? Just moved from there.

The Red Lion @ Kizzel is superb

I didn't realise there was a place called the Globe @ Weedon? Just moved from there.

On the A45/A5 crossroads. Nice pub, when I last went in there...about 15 years ago.

I was a regular but fell head over heels with the lovely landlady, who was there then.

Made a fool of myself and never went back. :blush:

Yeh, they must be annoyed at the fact that If you google the Narrowboat at Stowe Hill, the first hit in the list that is of the pub variety is the link I put in.

That is what I did, googled the Narrowboat at Stowe Hill, as per the thread title.

Not being filled with confidence as in it is routine for outgoing landlord and landlady to pass on the domain name to incoming landlord and landlady. That did not happen from the looks of it.

The Narrowboat at "Weedon" did not even come up on my first page of results.

On the A45/A5 crossroads. Nice pub, when I last went in there...about 15 years ago.

I was a regular but fell head over heels with the lovely landlady, who was there then.

Made a fool of myself and never went back. :blush:

I think it is owned/run by an Asian family now

So we always enjoyed the Narrowboat, and would aim to stop nearby overnight if travelling through Stowe Hill.

If it is now off-limits as suggested here, does anyone have suitable alternatives to suggest, in easy walking distance of the cut?

David

So we always enjoyed the Narrowboat, and would aim to stop nearby overnight if travelling through Stowe Hill.

If it is now off-limits as suggested here, does anyone have suitable alternatives to suggest, in easy walking distance of the cut?

David

If you go another half-mile north of Stowe Hill, Weedon village has 4 pubs within 100 yards of the A45 bridge, 3 with restaurants - Heart of England is canalside, Globe and Crossroads are on opposite corners by the A5/A45 traffic lights. In the same short stretch, there is an Indian, Chinese takeaway and a fish &chip/chinese!! Plenty of choice, and a bit of a walk into the village centre (about half a mile), there are two more 'old-style' pubs - gives you a good choice alround.

It is a distinct possibility, it took me 20 minutes to find my car in the Asda car park today, I was only in there for 5 minutes.... :wacko:

if you have an iPhone you need this-

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/find-my-car/id349510601?mt=8

or the Android version

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.elibera.android.findmycar&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5lbGliZXJhLmFuZHJvaWQuZmluZG15Y2FyIl0.