Paint Blistering due to vactan type treatment

Biggles

Featured Posts

When you say it's a bitumen-based epoxy, is that what they call epoxy pitch - which is made to look like bitumen, but isn't actually comprised of any bitumen?

Yup thats it l buy loads for work from Practical Compounds and urethane 2 pack called "Versapox" lovely name and when l phone in the order the office always say "pardon what was that" :blush:

• 4 years later...

All the areas that have been treated with a very simular product to Vactan. (I STRESS HERE IT IS NOT VACTAN BY BRAND NAME).

We've had 2 pages of discussion now surrounding this product that is not Vactan. Unless I've missed it, the product associated with the issue hasn't been named, but 'Vactan' has been substituted for the potentially offending product many times. Now I have no connection with Vactan and haven't even used it, but I can't help feeling that studiously avoiding naming the actual potentially offending product by instead naming Vactan or using 'Vactan-like' is a bit unfair on Vactan itself. Just saying.... ;)

That is the problem with being the market leader, your name becomes the generic for the product such as of course Sellotape Blue-Tack, Hoover.

I am ALWAYS cautious to mention "type product" as I don't know the correct name for it and can only feel I can describe it as such so that people might know what I've used.

All I am saying in any of my posts by way of warning is that this type of product was and is responsible for my paint now pealing off. This might be my falut for incorrect application, but it was sold to me as an alternative to shot blasting in that it formed an chemical etch.

That is the problem with being the market leader, your name becomes the generic for the product such as of course Sellotape Blue-Tack, Hoover.

I am ALWAYS cautious to mention "type product" as I don't know the correct name for it and can only feel I can describe it as such so that people might know what I've used.

All I am saying in any of my posts by way of warning is that this type of product was and is responsible for my paint now pealing off. This might be my falut for incorrect application, but it was sold to me as an alternative to shot blasting in that it formed an chemical etch.

I better prepare a camera then, so I can make a photo of "Avalon" when you pass here before it's too late, as I don't want a picture of a paintless boat wink.png

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Lots of the blisters that have now burst on Harnser gloss paint haven't gone rusty but are a very dark colour, black, grey or maybe blue, its hard to tell.

I use Vactan a lot on the barge and generally have no issues. You do need to wash off prior to application to remove salt residue from the rust.

I am intrigued that you do not known what your product is called yet you know the suppliers. If you don't know what it's called how can you be sure you are using it properly? Summit not right here.

My suppliers call their product Rustkote but does knowing the name help visulise the product?

As for using it right, it was supplied with full instructions as well as full safety info, but I can think what they are called.

Interesting. What makes you say that Rustkote (presumably this?) is "Vactan-like"?

As far as I can tell from the Rustkote literature it's quite a different product. Firstly, you mention "washing off" after treatment - thereby introducing the one thing that you don't want anywhere near steel, namely moisture. You don't do this with Vactan.

Secondly, Rustkote calls itself a rust converter which is "overpaintable with most primers". Vactan describes itself as "a self-priming rust converter". Certainly when I have used Vactan I have then overpainted it with a top coat (Danboline, Coach Enamel, whatever) and never had adhesion problems down the line.

I think a lot of folk confuse Vactan as "just another rust converter" whereas to my mind it's quite a different product to most.

Tony

The thread should be edited and use the correct name, not Vactan as it has not been used. It just make things hard work and a long daft thread.

Now after i read all the thread on the wrong named product to get to what has been used Rustkote, i can say i used this many years ago on a car panel i repaired this also bubbled/blistering happened then. Very annoying, I had to redo the whole job again.

Just as a matter of interest why would you 'vactan' a steel surface unless it was actually visibly rusty? Furthurmore such treatments are only really designed to neutralise corrosion found difficult to remove using the usual methods - such as pitting and difficult corners.- not as a general pre-paint wash.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

I'm no expert, but as I understand matters blisters are caused by 'something' trying to get out from under the surface.

It might suggest a chemical reaction due to incompatibility between paints too.

Edited by Claude