When does cheeky become insulting?

DCH

Featured Posts

..............but if we did i would find it cheeky to be offered a price more than 10 percent lower than the asking price.

Well possibly you might be asking a realistic price, but not everybody does, as is evidenced by replies here.

Based both on responses here and elsewhere boats regularly change hands not just at 10% below asking price, but often 20% or even 30%......

That is not to say it can be implied that any particular boat is 20% or 30% overpriced, but clearly if their true value is taken as being only what someone is prepared to pay, (rather than what someone hopes it to still be worth), there are a great many being advertised where that kind of discounting is not only possible, but actually happening in practice.

As a recent boat purchaser i am suprised that so many here seem happy to talk prices down.I am also a classic car/bike owner and visit forums for these,generally people on these forums would not be so keen to push prices downwards.Wife and i only brought our first boat this year and cant imagine that we would want to sell her,but if we did i would find it cheeky to be offered a price more than 10 percent lower than the asking price.

Ian.

The problem with boats is they have always gone up and down in price at the same time as the housing market. As houses are now in free fall with buy one get one free in some areas at the moment that is why boats are well down and likely to remain so for some considerable time.

The problem with boats is they have always gone up and down in price at the same time as the housing market. As houses are now in free fall with buy one get one free in some areas at the moment that is why boats are well down and likely to remain so for some considerable time.

Are house prices in free fall?

Ian

As a recent boat purchaser i am suprised that so many here seem happy to talk prices down.I am also a classic car/bike owner and visit forums for these,generally people on these forums would not be so keen to push prices downwards.Wife and i only brought our first boat this year and cant imagine that we would want to sell her,but if we did i would find it cheeky to be offered a price more than 10 percent lower than the asking price.

Ian.

Completely agree the price is the price. I don't take offers, if something hasn't sold and I want rid, I drop the asking price. Try taking a pint of milk to the checkou and offering 30p.

If I think someone is likely take an offer, even if they've done the completely crazy thing of overpricing it. (2 for the price of 3 in tesco's anyone?) I simply ask them what they want, if it's too much I walk away or wait. If not then I give what is asked.

Mind there are a lot of overpriced boats about. Daft I call it, they sit around for months and months.

it's not worth 45k imo

6k hours in five years is a heavily used boat. That's three hours of engine a day, every single day. I concur with mike.

I offered 6k less than the asking and I really wish I'd offered less now, considering they accepted almost immediately. And mine had already been reduced at least once.

Just right for battery charging every day

You need to ask about those engine hours though, which would be my main concern.

Very, very few boaters, whatever their circumstances, cruise anything like the number of miles that would be needed to accumulate that number, so if genuine, far more likely it has been run many of those hours just to charge batteries. (The presence of a 3KW inverter is possible evidence of the need to have done this.) It is generally accepted that running a diesel off-load much of the time is not a "good thing", and likely to knacker it far more quickly than actually putting it under proper load by boating.

Up until last year we clocked up about 1000 hr per year and if any of you read our trip reports you will see we cover a lot of ground to do that, very really less than a 7 hr day, often nearer 10 and yes it does involve a lot of oil changes.

We looked at having a boat from this builder/fitter at around the time this boat was built. he was quoting £1,000 per foot so the original owner would have paid out £60,000. So 25% depreciation over Five years.

Have you actually seen the boat

If its not the original owner can you find out what price he paid how long he had it why is it for sale.

I think the advice given by Mike the Boilerman is sound and if followied indicates to the broker you are potentially a serious punter. :cheers:

I would suggest the present owner has had it since July 2010 when he started doing his own servicing. Also some Liverpool boats had small diesel tanks.

but a 90% price reduction on a boat must be something like an all time record.

I refloated a boat (Hesperus) and, at the start of the day he offered it to me for £2000.

Draining the water out of the engine, after she was afloat again, he told me he couldn't cope with the stress and said it was mine for £100.

Having Lucy and Usk already I had to decline and, a couple of weeks later, I was told that the new owner had got it for nowt.

I was also offered another wooden boat for the price of a bacon butty and cup of tea (in all seriousness)...I bought the owner breakfast but didn't insist on taking the boat.

Don't forget the premium people put on boats for sale down south. As witnessed by the boat I posted about (on the general forum) that was for sale in the Midlands at 17k - is now 20k on the Thames - and the yard thought it worth bringing it down on a lorry.

If anyone sees something 'reasonable' for less than £20k let me know - there is one on Apollo but not sure of the layout.