wood suppliers in Yorkshire

Featured Posts

Hello

I'm having a bit of a nightmare finding some decent wood to fit out the roof and sides of my boat. Went to Jewsons and was quoted 5,000 for oak.Bit too much! I want a wood with little or no knots in. Has anyone any suggestions of where I can find some? Need 9mm thick x 95mm wide and over 6ft lengths and tongue and grooved. Thanks

Hello

I'm having a bit of a nightmare finding some decent wood to fit out the roof and sides of my boat. Went to Jewsons and was quoted 5,000 for oak.Bit too much! I want a wood with little or no knots in. Has anyone any suggestions of where I can find some? Need 9mm thick x 95mm wide and over 6ft lengths and tongue and grooved. Thanks

Have you considered using secondhand timber

Have a look at whet the reclamation yards can offer

Hello

A few years ago I bought some oak planking from British Hardwoods, then canalside at Riddlesden but now at Cross Hills, Keighley. A little pricy but very helpful and they machined me some to order, so you may not be limited to their standard sizes.

David

We used a timber reclamation

Machell W & Sons Ltd

Ghyll Royd, Leeds, LS20 9LT

0113 250 5043 ‎

ghyll royd · architectural antiques

"period flooring, recycled timber, wood, new build, reclamation, importer, refurbishement, wood flooring, hardwood flooring, importers agents, flooring yard

Pitch pine for the wheelhouse.

Finding decent hardwood is becoming quite a challenge these days. May i suggest that if you want new timber, that you google hardwood suppliers and the locations where you are prepared to travel to in order to discuss your requirements.

There are good suppliers around but they need to be sought out, and unfortunately the timber will not be cheap. Assuming you want a lighter coloured hardwood without knots I would suggest you look at European Oak, or Ash, both of which have an attractive grain. For a less pronounced grain, Beech or Birch are possibilities.

Edited by David Schweizer

Assuming you want a lighter coloured hardwood without knots I would suggest you look at European Oak, or Ash, both of which have an attractive grain. For a less pronounced grain, Beech or Birch are possibilities.

European Oak will be twice the price of American white oak which would fit your description of what you want.

Steve

Thankyou for all your info. Really do appreciate it.

Dont even think of Jewsons, MKM or Travis Perkins££££££££££££££££££££££

Arnold Laver, Howarth Timber are local to you. Try proper timber merchants not builders yards.

Dont even think of Jewsons, MKM or Travis Perkins££££££££££££££££££££££

Arnold Laver, Howarth Timber are local to you. Try proper timber merchants not builders yards.

Something to consider. You can sometimes (more often than you might expect) you can visit an apparently small and local supplier but it is actually a subsidiary company of a large builders merchant. Won't say who but their name rhymes with mavis jerkins. So be careful, find out who the real owner is.

And re bead and butt moulding, I agree, it really does look good. only an opinion of course, feel free to disagree.

Best of luck with your search.

cheers

nigel

Something to consider. You can sometimes (more often than you might expect) you can visit an apparently small and local supplier but it is actually a subsidiary company of a large builders merchant. Won't say who but their name rhymes with mavis jerkins. So be careful, find out who the real owner is.

And re bead and butt moulding, I agree, it really does look good. only an opinion of course, feel free to disagree.

Best of luck with your search.

cheers

nigel

I use the local branch of Travis Perkins for all the softwood i use, and I have found them to be excellent. Ok, I have been a customer for so long that I get trade discount, but they also allow me to select from the stack and cut my own lengths. I always keep softwood in the workshop for several months before using it to ensure that any moisture absorbed during storage at the mill is dried out, and if the boards develop any shakes, or distort, they happily replace them free of charge.

Thanks for all information. I am getting some oak cut to size from a reclamation yard near Howden called Old English Timbers. Much, much cheaper and glad that I'm recycling, cos most of what we've used on the boat is recycled stuff. It's a father & son business, so glad to be helping them out too. It'll be ready in the new year.

Thanks for all information. I am getting some oak cut to size from a reclamation yard near Howden called Old English Timbers. Much, much cheaper and glad that I'm recycling, cos most of what we've used on the boat is recycled stuff. It's a father & son business, so glad to be helping them out too. It'll be ready in the new year.

Oh well done . . .I hope they serve you well