Marina Receives Award

Doorman

Featured Posts

I appreciate that Marina mooring is not to everyone's taste, but, if that is your preference, then opt for one with credibility and standards that are well maintained.

Overwater Marina, based on the Shropshire Union Canal near Audlem in Cheshire, has recently gained the 5 Gold Anchor award from the British Marina/Yacht Harbour Association. An award that has never been previously granted to an inland waterway Marina. Still very much in its infancy, the location is set in an idyllic rural position and offers a peaceful retreat from modern day life.

Looking back on some previous threads concerning sharp practice amongst Marina operators, both moorers at, and owners of these sites should look towards the standards achieved here and aspire to reach similar levels of service for boaters.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

I appreciate that Marina mooring is not to everyone's taste, but, if that is your preference, then opt for one with credibility and standards that are well maintained.

Overwater Marina, based on the Shropshire Union Canal near Audlem in Cheshire, has recently gained the 5 Gold Anchor award from the British Marina/Yacht Harbour Association. An award that has never been previously granted to an inland waterway Marina. Still very much in its infancy, the location is set in an idyllic rural position and offers a peaceful retreat from modern day life.

Looking back on some previous threads concerning sharp practice amongst Marina operators, both moorers at, and owners of these sites should look towards the standards achieved here and aspire to reach similar levels of service for boaters.

Mike

Are you trying to get a discount, Mike? :)

How does this process operate

- as nice as it is at Overwater and congrats. to them - I'm surprised though it's the first inland marina to gain this award - there are some equally good marinas, out there surely...I can think of at least 1...

Not suggesting it is the case here, but in many industries, if you pay enough for your 'special' subscription to some 'independent' body, you are pretty much guaranteed an award (particularly rife in the food & drink industries).

Not suggesting it is the case here, but in many industries, if you pay enough for your 'special' subscription to some 'independent' body, you are pretty much guaranteed an award (particularly rife in the food & drink industries).

I'm afraid that is what I was thinking...but as you say we don't know this is the case here....

Several of the Thames marinas seem to be listed as "5 Gold Anchors", so I think it is perhaps stretching things a bit to say it has never been awarded to a UK inland waterway marina.

Perhaps never to one on the canal system, but almost certainly not true if you include rivers.

A bit surprised by this award considering the state of the pot hole riddled approach road. Many of the berth do not have a water tap dspite what the advertising blerb says - Not 5 star rating in my book. Think I agree with the previous posts on this one.

Granted I am new and inexperienced but I am amazed at the generally cynical reaction on here to what I would have imagined was something to celebrate.

In these hard financial times when a lack of funding is unanimously accepted the biggest threat to the future of the waterways and taking into consideration the experience at Barby, shouldn’t the ‘community’ be encouraging businesses like that at Overwater for taking what I imagine was /is a big investment risk and getting it right.

My partner and I have just returned from a 3-week tour of the UK inland waterway system where we visited all manner of canal side businesses and marinas. When we got to Overwater, we were both immediately impressed with the obviously high standard of the development and I recall commenting to my partner that someone had obviously spared no expense. I was genuinely surprised. The warm and friendly welcome of the management mirrored this.

In light of the cynicism expressed so far, I should point out that I do not know the owners or management of Overwater and am not looking for a mooring there, we were visiting Rugby boat Sales who have an office there.

Joshua

It's not cynicism but rather an appreciation of how these things operate sometimes in the real world.

The business world is littered with such practices so it's not surprising to some that in the absence of info. to the contrary that this scheme is operated similarly.

Sure Overwater may be a very good marina, from my one visit to it that was certainly my impression but from actually being moored at another I can tell you of another one that is at least as good if not better not least because it has been up and running longer and is run extremely well.

:lol: Already secured. Simply by introducing a new moorer to the Marina. Dead easy really, as the place sells itself!

A bit surprised by this award considering the state of the pot hole riddled approach road. Many of the berth do not have a water tap dspite what the advertising blerb says - Not 5 star rating in my book. Think I agree with the previous posts on this one.

To be quite fair about the road comment. If visitors and sadly some of the moorers, abided by the 15mph speed limit on the 'pot holed riddled approach road', it wouldn't be so. It is a temporary surface and not a drag racing strip.

With regard to the water taps, these are in plentyful supply and as yet, I've not spotted any moorers suffering from dehydration.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

10 seconds with google will get you the criteria and process; oh look!

I agree with your post Joshua I guess some people would rather be cynical & knock all they can instead of celebrating the good things in life.

Overwater is a great marina not just because of the fantastic location & comprehensive services but because they go out of their way to look after the moorers. for example, I was there last winter when all boats were stuck solid in ice for ages they organised a mobile pump out truck which they did not have to do. They also appear to listen to what the moorers want and accommodate it if they can - this winter the shop has a much wider range of more useful products than before. They also have the Audlem Boat Company on site for your painting, blacking & mechanical repair needs. And the fantastic Cheshire sky of course.

for the cynics: no connection to either the marina or ABC apart from being a satisfied customer of both.

:lol: Already secured. Simply by introducing a new moorer to the Marina. Dead easy really, as the place sells itself!

To be quite fair about the road comment. If visitors and sadly some of the moorers, abided by the 15mph speed limit on the 'pot holed riddled approach road', it wouldn't be so. It is a temporary surface and not a drag racing strip.

With regard to the water taps, these are in plentyful supply and as yet, I've not spotted any moorers suffering from dehydration.

Mike

How long has the marina been open - 2 years?

Oh dear does this mean you might have to actually move the boat!!!!!!

Couldn't move the boat my bow thruster doesn't work ! :wacko:

Discount? Remember those that had tracker mortgages that tracked below base rate and the customers got money back!!!! That's more l(m)ike it. Must be, how else can he afford to be down the shroppie everyday!

Lack of water taps? You sure which marina you were at? I have the choice of 2. (unless mike is there first...is it normal to use a double hose to fill yer boat?) And I like the road like it is, keeps the riff raff out....

T

Discount? Remember those that had tracker mortgages that tracked below base rate and the customers got money back!!!! That's more l(m)ike it. Must be, how else can he afford to be down the shroppie everyday!

Aye, aye, I represent that remark!

Anyway, if the Shroppie Fly had pump out facilities, grumpy neighbours and a difficult entrance we'd moor there instead. The main issue is that the only dry dock available is The Bridge Inn at the entrance to the Wharf. :rolleyes:

No time to write any more, off for a pint. :cheers: :cheers:

L(m)ike

Edited by Doorman

Why is it that when someone recieves recognition for something the world has to go all gooey and believe that someone else could always do better :banghead:

Some of the threads on here are bordering on being near rude, to almost imply Overwater has paid for this award.

They simply deserve this award along with the Best start up business of the year WELL DONE !!!!!! :blush:

Couldn't move the boat my bow thruster doesn't work ! :wacko:

:P

The 'temporary' road surface was I believe, a condition of the initial planning application made by the owners. The proviso was that the road should resemble that of a farm track. In saying this, it still astounds me to see an element of drivers tearing along there with some sort of suspension death wish.

Insanely, those very same people, continue to drive in such a manner around the perimeter road, even though it clearly states on several key locations (including the Marina entrance) that a 10mph speed limit exists. Considering that many moorers have young children visitors to the Marina, who naturally play around the grassed areas, these moronic motorists appear to believe that they're exempt from the safety speed limits imposed upon them.:angry:

Believe it or not, the limits are not optional, they're an integral part of the Terms & Conditions laid down by the owners. Besides which, common sense should prevail before anything else. Sadly, it's not so common with some people.

:P

The 'temporary' road surface was I believe, a condition of the initial planning application made by the owners. The proviso was that the road should resemble that of a farm track. In saying this, it still astounds me to see an element of drivers tearing along there with some sort of suspension death wish.

Insanely, those very same people, continue to drive in such a manner around the perimeter road, even though it clearly states on several key locations (including the Marina entrance) that a 10mph speed limit exists. Considering that many moorers have young children visitors to the Marina, who naturally play around the grassed areas, these moronic motorists appear to believe that they're exempt from the safety speed limits imposed upon them.:angry:

Believe it or not, the limits are not optional, they're an integral part of the Terms & Conditions laid down by the owners. Besides which, common sense should prevail before anything else. Sadly, it's not so common with some people.

Of course any marina owner should be allowed to put down any type of road surface they see fit and impose any speed limits they think appropriate, I have no problem with that. I meerely expressed my surprise at the 5 Star rating. I would expect any business that invites public access, whether it be a hotel, camp site or marina etc and has a top 5 Star rating to be accessed by a reasonably smooth tarmac roadway, and not "resemble a farm track" as you accurately describe it. Perhaps the priviso you mentioned was aimed at the appearance of the roadway,the hedges, fencing and grass borders etc rather than at the actual raod surface itself.

fy1ic8.jpg

In light of the cynicism expressed so far, I should point out that I do not know the owners or management of Overwater and am not looking for a mooring there, we were visiting Rugby boat Sales who have an office there.

Joshua

Here they are.

Anyone who misguidingly thinks that I may have a vested interest in posting this thread, think again. This lot (part of the Overwater team), scare the life out of me when I take our Lab out for a walk at night. They stand motionless in an adjacent field and it's only their white patches that allow sight of these cumbersome creatures.

Sometimes, when I venture over Bridge 80 to take Paddy for a walk along the canal, the buggers suddenly appear on the crest of the bridge, thus blocking our way back to the Marina. On one occasion, we had to wait some 20 minutes until the last one moved on, not before taking a disparaging glare at us from over the bridge parapet wall. :unsure:

Edited by Doorman