What's wrong with pump out toilets

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Pump out every time for us. It doesnt have to be an unpleasant experience, as others have said, pull up at station, hand over boat to attendand, walk to shop, browse, pay for pump out, get back boat keyas and carry on as you were. No unpleasantness at all.

Oh and the other vital part of the pump out system is an pump to eject the contents of the tank overboard when in waters that permit this. Vastly reduces the cost of owning a pump out loo :cheers:

When I first bought my boat one of the requirements was it had to have a pump out. It did and it smelt so I changed all the seals and emptied out and flushed several times. The guys in the marina took great fun in walking past and telling me my boat would start to sink as she was now leaning! Cheers guys that was soooo helpful. Then whilst minding my own I managed to suddenly feel the earth move underneath me for all the WRONG reasons! Yep, the top of the elderly tank had collapsed and I was in SH*T, literally! Managed to persuade nice marine enginere to weld new top back on, all ended well.

Then had the great idea of gutting said boat and completley changing everything in it.

Despite my brilliant interior design skills I found that I did not actually have room to put anothor tank in(by now had removed old, crappy one).So invested in posh vacuflush cassette loo. Real porcaline bowl, fits anywhere and cassette is remotely mounted under dog bed, sorted! Have spare cassette and extra cassete loo under bed and only need to empty about once a week. Not up on my list of great jobs, but even if I hang around the elsan looking blonde & dumb, no one every seems to offer, so just get on with it. :blush:

Which of course only works on parts of the system that has PO machines that provide an operator.

Even the PO machine at Mercia marina where we where is self operated...

I have no idea as to the nearest location of an operated one up here - the nearest PO machine of any description seems to be at Castleford which is.....

card/self operated....

Youve hit the nail on the head Martin. Boaters who like us use their boats and travel all the system understand that in many areas pumpout machines dont exist and when they do are often closed or broken. The majority of p/o owners have shiney brass on a weekend and six months of cobwebs in the winter.

We discussed a build for a chap who, in my opinion had it spot on.

He wanted a pump out in the bathroom with a double bed sized cak tank for the majority of the time but also a Casette system in the back cabin whence iced/no pump out etc.

Unlike me. I like the pumpout loo BECAUSE I've been all over the system, I've come across as many pumpout machines as Elsans, if not more as most marinas have pumpout but in my experience relatively few have Elsan points. And I've never seen a closed or broken pumpout machine.

And the only brass on my boat is the coal hod and it's not very shiny; and the six months of cobwebs I have lived with for six months because I'm too scared to clean em off in case there's a spider in there. ;) In fact some have been there all year.

Unlike me. I like the pumpout loo BECAUSE I've been all over the system, I've come across as many pumpout machines as Elsans, if not more as most marinas have pumpout but in my experience relatively few have Elsan points. And I've never seen a closed or broken pumpout machine.

And the only brass on my boat is the coal hod and it's not very shiny; and the six months of cobwebs I have lived with for six months because I'm too scared to clean em off in case there's a spider in there. ;) In fact some have been there all year.

How many pumpout machines do you think there are between Leeds and York ? Its a long way by boat and which pumpout machine did you use ? ;)

Haha well this boat definitely isn't shiny and has travelled a long way in the three years since we've owned it and lived on it full time! We've always been able to find pump out points when we've needed them, though yes some have been self operated. I've never found pumping out to be in the least bit smelly, whether it's by an operative or self operated, and I promise my sense of smell when it comes to shit or vomit is very keen!

I don't slag off cassettes - why don't people accept that their way isn't the right way for everyone, just a choice that suits them?

And my boat doesn't smell thank you very much!

Haha well this boat definitely isn't shiny and has travelled a long way in the three years since we've owned it and lived on it full time! We've always been able to find pump out points when we've needed them, though yes some have been self operated. I've never found pumping out to be in the least bit smelly, whether it's by an operative or self operated, and I promise my sense of smell when it comes to shit or vomit is very keen!

I don't slag off cassettes - why don't people accept that their way isn't the right way for everyone, just a choice that suits them?

And my boat doesn't smell thank you very much!

I'm on another thread about the best things of being on a boat and one of the things we have noticed, (especially when non boaters suggest all thje problems with either toilet preference,) is that we are never ill. Not even a cold. We're healthier than we've ever been.

I'm on another thread about the best things of being on a boat and one of the things we have noticed, (especially when non boaters suggest all thje problems with either toilet preference,) is that we are never ill. Not even a cold. We're healthier than we've ever been.

That's very true! I used to get colds at least twice a year but I haven't had one since we moved aboard (touch wood!)

How many pumpout machines do you think there are between Leeds and York ? Its a long way by boat and which pumpout machine did you use ? ;)

Who cares? It really doesn't matter how many there are, as long as you have a decent-sized tank. You seem to think everybody with a pump-out loo fits a 20 litre poo-tank. Whilst that may be what you did once, it's not what intelligent people do.

If all the pump-out machines on the Thames were removed, I would simply cruise down to the estuary four times a year and discharge at sea.

Your posts on this subject are really very silly.

Who cares? It really doesn't matter how many there are, as long as you have a decent-sized tank. You seem to think everybody with a pump-out loo fits a 20 litre poo-tank. Whilst that may be what you did once, it's not what intelligent people do.

I would simply cruise down to the estuary four times a year and discharge at sea.

Your posts on this subject are really very silly.

That explains the large smelly slick (Strong smell of curry and gin) that washes up on Southend Beach, Four times year.

Firesprite

In the office

Most holding tanks would easily manage the trip from Leeds to York without the need for emptying. They dont need emptying every three days like cassette loos :P

PS Leeds to York isnt such a long journey in a proper boat :lol:

Youve hit the nail on the head Martin. Boaters who like us use their boats and travel all the system understand that in many areas pumpout machines dont exist and when they do are often closed or broken. The majority of p/o owners have shiney brass on a weekend and six months of cobwebs in the winter.

How very true! :P

But not us, thankfully.

We discussed a build for a chap who, in my opinion had it spot on.

He wanted a pump out in the bathroom with a double bed sized cak tank for the majority of the time but also a Casette system in the back cabin whence iced/no pump out etc.

That's the option that we chose. A small Porta Potti is kept for emergency situations. It has never been out of its packaging yet and we're live aboards.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Most holding tanks would easily manage the trip from Leeds to York without the need for emptying. They dont need emptying every three days like cassette loos :P

Well dont know about York, but selby, castleford and Leeds have PO's. has lemonroyd? Site says it has but can't think where.

Well dont know about York, but selby, castleford and Leeds have PO's. has lemonroyd? Site says it has but can't think where.

Interesting if it does say that, because it hasn't

ed to add - on the BWML site for Lemonroyd it lists the following facilities-

Boat brokerage

Chemical toilet disposal

Electricity

Elsan

Grocery shops

Moorings

Pub / Cafe

Rubbish disposal

Toilet

Water point

Web access

No mention of a PO machine - but strangely refers to both an Elsan and Chemical toilet disposal..... and they must be hiding the pub/cafe somewhere cos I ain't ever seen it...

Edited by MJG

Which way? Scotland or the Channel? :rolleyes:

Through the inland route. It isnt that far. Leeds to Selby is only three days maximum if you intend to put in some decent cruising. Selby to Naburn is a couple of hours tops. Thats hardly the journey of a life time is it and it certainly wouldnt worry a pump out tank.

Interesting if it does say that, because it hasn't

No mention of a PO machine - but strangely refers to both an Elsan and Chemical toilet disposal..... and they must be hiding the pub/cafe somewhere cos I ain't ever seen it...

Got the info from Waterscape...

http://www.waterscape.com/services-directory/3566/lemonroyd-with-hook-ups-ltm

Which is incorrect - there defo. isn't one

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marinas/lemonroyd_marina

But then why should we be surprised if there is inaccurate info. on a BW run internet site...does beg the question what somebody would do if they pitch up at our marina with a full PO tank, based on the belief they could empty their tank here, I guess they would have to cross their legs and press on to Castleford....

Which is incorrect - there defo. isn't one

http://www.bwml.co.uk/marinas/lemonroyd_marina

But then why should we be surprised if there is inaccurate info. on a BW run internet site...does beg the question what somebody would do if they pitch up at our marina with a full PO tank, based on the belief they could empty their tank here, I guess they would have to cross their legs and press on to Castleford....

If they were that despeate to empty their tank then Castleford isnt that far away is it?

Methinks some of you are blowing this non existent problem out of proportion :rolleyes: