Middlewich Narrowboats

Featured Posts

Thanks, Chuggy - SR3's sound great (though not quiet), perhaps a sound clip on your web site would appeal to the chaps amongst the potential hirers?

Roger, your point is well made - but

a) Do you see "boom" conditions returning any time soon?, and

B) I'm sure that many potential hirers are put off by the high cost of many hire boat holidays; the Midlewich site does grade the boats but you have to read carefully to discover that B stands for budget. I think the wording of the description of what "budget" means could be revamped too and given more prominence. Joe Public, who is deciding whether to chug along a ditch or to jet off to Torremolinos for his hard-earned week's hol, needs to be reminded that these boats are affordable.

EDIT: try as I may, when I type a letter b followed by a bracket it comes out as that bluddy silly yellow face. Sorry.

B( THATS FUNNY

THE WEBSITE IS DESPERATE FOR A REVAMP TOO.

This is coming along nicely: as well as someone to empty the bogs, you need a web site designer and about three marketing consultants. I'm sure that you'll find people with at least two of these three skills on the Forum.

Seriously, Chuggy, you're getting a good cross-section of opinions here and I hope it is useful to you and helps with your plans to relaunch your company. I can't remember the last time that a thread progressed to its second page without veering off-topic, you have evidently captured our interest!

I can well understand and nod sadly at the comments already posted, but I must say there are things about MN which I think are different and good.

I have used MN many times and in two different ways.

First, as a teacher running a school trip. Why do we hire from MN?

• The boats are cheap enough to make the trip affordable for the boys

• The boats can cope with a group of ten boys and members of staff

• The boats have always been clean and reliable

Second as an individual. Why do I hire from MN?

• The boats are available all the year through

• The company has always been utterly happy for me to be single-handed

• The boats are very well priced

• Boats are available which are different and interesting

In both cases I enjoy using a company which is individual and flexible. Once, I had to start a trip a day late; as there was no one hiring the boat the next week, MN let me keep it a day further – at no extra charge.

Whatever happens to the company, I hope that some of the above will survive and that the company will remain one of character.

This is coming along nicely: as well as someone to empty the bogs, you need a web site designer and about three marketing consultants. I'm sure that you'll find people with at least two of these three skills on the Forum.

Seriously, Chuggy, you're getting a good cross-section of opinions here and I hope it is useful to you and helps with your plans to relaunch your company. I can't remember the last time that a thread progressed to its second page without veering off-topic, you have evidently captured our interest!

IT’S FANTASTIC

Thank you all for your input.

All advice taken with thanks

Along with the new ‘Heritage fleet’ arrangement, you all seem to agree with me that there’s a good interest in cheaper boats to hire so long as they’re clean, tidy, reliable etc. (I call it the Travelloge model, I can hear Alex Polizzi’s voice critiquing the boats darling)

Keep the comments coming it all helps.

A model of lucidity and balance, Mr. Hammond - and perhaps words which Chuggy might like to quote in his brochure or on his web site.

Reading between the lines, do you teach at Winchester School? I sent one or two lads up there during my prep school teaching days.

(I call it the Travelloge model, I can hear Alex Polizzi’s voice critiquing the boats darling)

Now you've hit on something, even if it not the correct spelling of that budget hotel chain. Get Alex on board one: she has reviewed enough static accommodation, offer her a couple of days (preferably with her camera crew) on a MN boat - that could be high-profile publicity for you.

I can well understand and nod sadly at the comments already posted, but I must say there are things about MN which I think are different and good.

I have used MN many times and in two different ways.

First, as a teacher running a school trip. Why do we hire from MN?

• The boats are cheap enough to make the trip affordable for the boys

• The boats can cope with a group of ten boys and members of staff

• The boats have always been clean and reliable

Second as an individual. Why do I hire from MN?

• The boats are available all the year through

• The company has always been utterly happy for me to be single-handed

• The boats are very well priced

• Boats are available which are different and interesting

In both cases I enjoy using a company which is individual and flexible. Once, I had to start a trip a day late; as there was no one hiring the boat the next week, MN let me keep it a day further – at no extra charge.

Whatever happens to the company, I hope that some of the above will survive and that the company will remain one of character.

I hope so too!

I can't remember the last time that a thread progressed to its second page without veering off-topic, you have evidently captured our interest!

I can!

Someone nicked a narrowboat called 'Holly' I seem to remember. Didn't return it after the hire period, hire boat company became suspicious and search started. Meanwhile, hirer re-painted it and did a runner. This, and other website forums eventually found her after loads of pages. I'm still trying to remember the hire company :blush:

Edited by I want my own narrowboat

Mrs twbm and I have not even considered hiring for many years despite both being enthusiasts because we were pretty much obliged to either pay a fortune for a boat with more domestic gizmos than our house or risk some suspiciously cheap boats. I think with a sensibly priced facelifted heritage type fleet you may be into a market of enthusiasts who can't afford their own boat. When the time is right I'd look at Facebook, there's any number of ways you could get into that community on there. Good luck with the venture - you're brave to buy into the leisure market at the moment.

Mrs twbm and I have not even considered hiring for many years despite both being enthusiasts because we were pretty much obliged to either pay a fortune for a boat with more domestic gizmos than our house or risk some suspiciously cheap boats. I think with a sensibly priced facelifted heritage type fleet you may be into a market of enthusiasts who can't afford their own boat. When the time is right I'd look at Facebook, there's any number of ways you could get into that community on there. Good luck with the venture - you're brave to buy into the leisure market at the moment.

I totally agree with you. We have hired many times between 2000 and 2008. OK it wasn't cheap, but we could just about afford it. Move on a few years - my daughter going on final school trip to Ardeche in France for a week in July 2012, so looking for a narrowboat holiday for me, wife and son whilst she is away... how much?!!!

Everything is way over £1000 for a week, and that does not include the damage waiver or fuel!

Bloody stupid prices - all we want is to hire a boat for a week that works, will get us from A to B without any problems, and is safe.

Not bothered about fancy worktops, LED mood lighting, digital TV, bow thrusters, wine racks, macerat...... actually those toilets are quite good!!!

There must be a market for families with boating experience, who just want to hire a boat for a week at a reasonable price, without all the extras - if so, I'm willing to test one of your existing boats after a re-paint - for a reasonable price of course!! :rolleyes:

Narrowboat Hirers please help

I have just bought a great name in the narrowboat hire industry

MIDDLEWICH NARROWBOATS

Hi Greg,

My first introduction to the canal system was a teenager with Middlewich Narrowboats. I attended three school trips with the company and thought what a wonderful way to holiday.

When I was old enough to hire my own boat it was a 'no frills' boat at Middlewich and the then owners were wonderful at getting us going. I then hired every year after, Juniper, Holly, Almond, and more. I introduced my daughter to boating through Middlewich. Many many years of super boating.

Even when one of the most important days of my life went belly up, I better explain, we booked our honeymoon with Middlewich and when only five minutes away from the Wharf they called us to tell us that the boat we had booked had broken down. As you can imagine we were devastated. Trish a member of the then staff met us on arrival all apologetic and in tears. The love had phoned every boat company she knew to find us a boat (Wrenbury came to the rescue) we were refunded our money, given a free week holiday whenever we wanted and a lovely bottle of bubbly.

Finally to show how much we thought of Middlewich Narrowboats when we moved to live in America we actually flew back just for two weeks on one of their boats (Cedar).

The only reason we have stopped holidaying with them is we simply now have our own boat (Empire).

If it wasn't for my time with Middlewich I don't think I would have become a Roses & Castles Painter and have a great business.

Middlewich Narrowboats for me, super, first rate, friendly with traditional boats. Thankyou Middlewich Narrowboats.

Terence :D

I'd agree there is a market for cheap and cheerful, but people do still expect "well presented" as well. You also need to know, if you don't already, that Chas Hardern at Beeston on the Shroppie is reasonably cheap and cheerful, although he's had to take his boats up market a bit as families of four just don't "do" holidays on 30 foot narrow boats any more.

Chas serves the same section of the canal network as you, although the extra distance from the Cheshire Ring makes him less attractive for that market. His boats are, however, very different, and from memory are very well presented.

Personally, and I am biased as my parents lived in Booth Lane for the first five years of my life, but to me Middlewich would not be the same without your hire boat base, I think it was there before I was born trading as Willow Wren Kearns, Dad used to take school parties with them by hiring three seventy foot 12 berth boats, two staff ten kids on each. You've just acquired a piece of heritage as well as a hire fleet.

I totally agree with you. We have hired many times between 2000 and 2008. OK it wasn't cheap, but we could just about afford it. Move on a few years - my daughter going on final school trip to Ardeche in France for a week in July 2012, so looking for a narrowboat holiday for me, wife and son whilst she is away... how much?!!!

Everything is way over £1000 for a week, and that does not include the damage waiver or fuel!

Bloody stupid prices - all we want is to hire a boat for a week that works, will get us from A to B without any problems, and is safe.

Not bothered about fancy worktops, LED mood lighting, digital TV, bow thrusters, wine racks, macerat...... actually those toilets are quite good!!!

There must be a market for families with boating experience, who just want to hire a boat for a week at a reasonable price, without all the extras - if so, I'm willing to test one of your existing boats after a re-paint - for a reasonable price of course!! :rolleyes:

Well said!

I can!

Someone nicked a narrowboat called 'Holly' I seem to remember. Didn't return it after the hire period, hire boat company became suspicious and search started. Meanwhile, hirer re-painted it and did a runner. This, and other website forums eventually found her after loads of pages. I'm still trying to remember the hire company :blush:

Holly was a Middlewich hire boat.

Chugalong - have a look at your competitors in the area and see what their boats/prices are like compared to yours.

Steve

Holly was a Middlewich hire boat.

Chugalong - have a look at your competitors in the area and see what their boats/prices are like compared to yours.

Steve

Steve I think ‘I want my own narrowboat’ was being ironic, if that’s the word?

I hope we make a habit of long discussions on the forums (fora? )

And I will do my research of course.

Thanks a million

Greg

Where MN got it wrong, particularly towards the end was getting a reputation for ONLY doing tired, basic, ageing boats.

Albion, your information is out of date. That was probably the case before the last change of ownership, but several brand new boats and also an ex Challenger hire boat have been added to the fleet in recent years, the latter being complete with welded on washers, trad back cabin (albeit the wash basin in the table cupboard was a little naff.... :rolleyes: ) speedwheel controls etc. Agreed, there were certainly some older boats still operating last time I was that way, but it wasn't the whole fleet by a long way.

What did the last lot do wrong? In my mind they lost sight of (or perhaps never got) what the company did best at their premium end. That was attract hirers who wanted to hire a unique boat rather than just another clonecraft. They changed the livery from a strong green to a wishy washy shade and the once traditional signwriting to stick on vinyl. They also fitted the entire fleet with rather tempremental diesel fired cookers that wouldn't work without the engine running (though the washer Josher was introduced to the fleet with the gas cooker still inact from what I remember of our hire)

Personally I've hired from Middlewich three or four times and it was the 'proper' boats that attracted us to the door. We've hired 'Maple' at least twice (the memory is going... :rolleyes: ) and the 'washer josher' (I forget its name) the last time, a couple of years or so ago. The first occasion was around 10 years ago in the Chris Cliffe era and the rest have been with the last management. We also had one of the new boats for a couple of days after 'Maple' caught fire as we came up the Church Lawton flight. Its modern, shallow draught, lightly ballasted design didn't endear us to the boat one bit and I believe we tied up above Kings lock and never went any further.

Even when one of the most important days of my life went belly up, I better explain, we booked our honeymoon with Middlewich and when only five minutes away from the Wharf they called us to tell us that the boat we had booked had broken down. As you can imagine we were devastated. Trish a member of the then staff met us on arrival all apologetic and in tears. The love had phoned every boat company she knew to find us a boat (Wrenbury came to the rescue) we were refunded our money, given a free week holiday whenever we wanted and a lovely bottle of bubbly.

Terence :D

We had similar after 'Maple' caught fire.... Perhaps you had ber booked for the following week... B)

Personally I'd be tempted to ditch the trad boats and focus on what hire companies do best. The trad boat we saw at Middlewich last August as we passed through looked very very sad and neglected indeed. .

This was Middlewich's niche market and what they did best 10 years ago. There is definitely a market for something different to everyone else. Couldn't agree more that the older boats need a good going over. We're not all philistines, Malcolm Webster built the 'Maple' so it has a place in the hearts of some of us enthusiasts.... B)

Having hired from other companies in the past we hired Holly in February last year and had a wonderful holiday. Loved the boat and found the staff very friendly and helpful. It was the best holiday we have had and were fully expecting to hire from you again until we unexpectedly bought our own boat last summer. Would have no hesitation in recommending Middlewich Narrowboats and love the Trad boats you have. Still trying to get family to take a narrowboat holiday and would definitely recommend they hire from you.

The basic no frills boat is exactly what we look for in a hire boat and we found Holly to be clean and well presented. As we slowly refit our boat we keep referring back to Holly and thinking of what we liked so much about her. There is only one very slight criticism and that is the awful diesel cooker! Please install gas cookers like every other hire fleet - the diesel cooker on Holly was the worst cooker we have used!

Wish you all the best for the future but please keep the trad boats basic and at a reasonable price. Polished granite worktops and inverters are not required by all hirers! If the refit of our boat continues for much longer we may have to hire Holly or Willow again just to get back on the water!

Cheers

Tom and Bex

This was Middlewich's niche market and what they did best 10 years ago. There is definitely a market for something different to everyone else. Couldn't agree more that the older boats need a good going over. We're not all philistines, Malcolm Webster built the 'Maple' so it has a place in the hearts of some of us enthusiasts.... B)

If that is the case, then I would market them separately completely separate from the main stream boats.

Different 'livery' and distinctive sign writing would be the first change.

Narrowboat Hirers please help

I have just bought a great name in the narrowboat hire industry

MIDDLEWICH NARROWBOATS

I have been a customer with this company myself many times over the last twenty years and always had a fantastic time but I have heard mixed reviews from recent hirers.

I really would like to understand the company's reputation.

Have you hired from us? What can you tell me about our reputation? Would you hire again, why?

Any other advice gratefully received. There is a lot to do at Middlewich Narrowboats for next season to make sure that our hirers have a great time, It will be done. Thank you all for your help

Greg

I find this enquiry odd some how?

I would have done my research before buying the business and not have bought it before I had a very clear business plan as to what section of the market I intended to pitch it at.

Is this a gentle piece of customer tickling?

No disrespect intended.

I find this enquiry odd some how?

I would have done my research before buying the business and not have bought it before I had a very clear business plan as to what section of the market I intended to pitch it at.

Is this a gentle piece of customer tickling?

No disrespect intended.

Well no-one else seems to think it odd. Of course it's abit of gentle advertising, but it's also I think a genuine attempt to canvas the opinions of probably the largest and most experienced group on t'internet. Greg could hardly have asked his questions on a public forum before buying the business, could he? - "Do you think I should buy this business?" I'm sure he did as much research as was possible before taking over.

I would be sorry to see the Middlewich Narrowboats livery disappear from the canals. I've never hired from them but for some irrational reason I feel quite affectionate about them and always smile when I see one of their boats. I think it is because they are so unfussy and look as though they have been around as long as the canal leisure industry itself. They seem to attract similarly unfussy type of hirer too who invariably look happy and content when I pass them; so they must have been doing something right.

I would be sorry to see the Middlewich Narrowboats livery disappear from the canals. I've never hired from them but for some irrational reason I feel quite affectionate about them and always smile when I see one of their boats. I think it is because they are so unfussy and look as though they have been around as long as the canal leisure industry itself. They seem to attract similarly unfussy type of hirer too who invariably look happy and content when I pass them; so they must have been doing something right.

I Love this, somehow it makes perfect sense.

as for the two above? your both right ;)

I have no experience of Middlewich personally, so make no comment, I did however email the company recently on a business basis, and didn't even receive an acknowledgement. Sadly typical within boating business communications, which I find sad. We are not in competition, as we are a small, out of area, bespoke builder, but I had a question about a specific experience relevant to Middlewich.

I would like to think you may be starting fresh, and whilst I am sure you have more than enough on your plate right now, connections within the business often help in unexpected ways, so perhaps something to keep in mind.

All the best with your new opportunity, network and keep an open mind, work to the best you can, and you shouldn't go far wrong. Customer service is your golden rule IMO.

Good luck with the venture! :cheers: