Middlewich Narrowboats

Featured Posts

Narrowboat Hirers please help

I have just bought a great name in the narrowboat hire industry

MIDDLEWICH NARROWBOATS

I have been a customer with this company myself many times over the last twenty years and always had a fantastic time but I have heard mixed reviews from recent hirers.

I really would like to understand the company’s reputation.

Have you hired from us? What can you tell me about our reputation? Would you hire again, why?

Any other advice gratefully received. There is a lot to do at Middlewich Narrowboats for next season to make sure that our hirers have a great time, It will be done. Thank you all for your help

Greg

we as a family have used most of the local companies chas, nantwich ,abc,anglo welsh and middlewich the boat was tired but adequate and i found the staff muddled but helpful they messed my booking up but then cheefully gave me a good discount. the boat was the cleanest of all local hirers lyndsey at chas' horrendous!

to be honest as the boat was old ,the sleeping was awful we ended up sleeping on the floor it was more comfy and those diesel cookers that was the reason we never hired again the cooker just never worked and needed resetting all the time -- parking is a worry and the owner adam was so laid back you just could not wonder if he really wanted to be there but he was polite to a point and a good explainer of how to look after his boats it is a shame so many are knocking them having seen how some boats are returned it works both ways i often walk along there it's a nice wander with the dogs and some people should be ashamed how they return boats the staff just cheerfully get on with it well most, everything anywhere has room for improvement but look at the whole picture if the boat had a proper cooker i would definately hire again from middlewich i always found them cheerfull, overworked and helpfull even when they got it wrong!

we as a family have used most of the local companies chas, nantwich ,abc,anglo welsh and middlewich the boat was tired but adequate and i found the staff muddled but helpful they messed my booking up but then cheefully gave me a good discount. the boat was the cleanest of all local hirers lyndsey at chas' horrendous!

To say Chas Harderns are 'horrendous' really staggers me. We had our first narrowboat holiday with Chas and then another 'between' boats. On both occasions the boats were spotless inside and out and the training excellent.

We have recommended a number of our guests to Chas & Lindsay since starting the business and received positive feedback accordingly.

• 2 months later...

We've just got back from a week with Middlewich Boats, doing the four counties ring, and on the whole it was a good experience.

We hired their 60 foot cruiser 'Damson' which whilst undeniably old and tired by modern hire boat standards was clean, comfortable and performed ok with just one or two niggling problems which were a nuisance but nothing more than that. Every contact we had with people in the company, from the owner down, was excellent and gave the impression that they they wanted people to enjoy their holiday. They'd replaced the old diesel cooker with a new propane one, provided new bedding and made sure everything was clean and working ok.

I was aware of the change in ownership to Middlewich boats and that the new owners inherited an old and very run down fleet of hire boats. With the time available to them, they seem to have done their best to bring their boats up to a reasonable standard for this season, whilst preparing to gradually replace most the boats with new ones (I think they are hoping to keep some of their popular trad / semi-trad boats).

As a family we've been hiring narrowboats on and off for around thirty five years and it's evident that most modern hirers now have high expectations of hire-boats - quite rightly given the cost of hiring nowadays. However understandable it might be that the new owners of Middlewich wouldn't want to throw loads of money onto old boats, I hope that their reputation doesn't suffer from having to hire out the old boats whilst they gradually renew their fleet. If we decide to do the Cheshire ring sometime in the future, we would certainly consider Middlewich boats again, though in fairness only with a more modern boat. We booked with Middlewich as we wanted to support a small independent hirer and so I wish the new owners of Middlewich boats all the best in their new venture. They without doubt have a lot of work to do but they do seem to be taking things forward.

Well I'm hoping they've still got their two big boats that sleep thousands...thinking of organising a school trip next year and hope to wangle a good price out of them...Basic isn't a problem, empty pump out tanks and an early start will be a priority though.....

Andrew

Hi Foulridge

Thanks for your feedback, you were such a lovely family. Sorry the exterior of the boat didn’t get the same makeover as the interior, weather and time against us with so many boats to do. I know you had a good time and even admitted to liking the boat in the end (everyone loves Damson in the end), like we said we’ll send you a special offer on our new boat, due in the next few weeks.

Darren72

1. You booked your holiday with another company that went bust.

2. You opted not to take up the offered cancellation scheme.

3. I told you I would put your case to the liquidator.

4. I have done this.

5. The liquidator will not complete his work for 12 months.

6. I had said I may be able to top any payment the liquidator made out of good will.

7. No one I am aware of has received any payment from the liquidator yet.

8. Publicly mauling me is hardly likely to make me offer you much, remember I have had nothing from you and owe you nothing.

A little unfair don’t you think?

A concise and even-handed response, Chuggy. Have a Green Thing.

I can understand Darren's frustration, though.

Hi Foulridge

Thanks for your feedback, you were such a lovely family. Sorry the exterior of the boat didn’t get the same makeover as the interior, weather and time against us with so many boats to do. I know you had a good time and even admitted to liking the boat in the end (everyone loves Damson in the end), like we said we’ll send you a special offer on our new boat, due in the next few weeks.

Thanks 'Chuggy' ! You were great to deal with personally and as a company, and given the circumstances regarding the takeover etc, couldn't have done more for us to help us enjoy our holiday. We were also lucky to have picked such a good week weatherwise. The offer is appreciated and we wish you all the best with Middlewich Boats - hopefully we will be hiring from you again.

Well I'm hoping they've still got their two big boats that sleep thousands...thinking of organising a school trip next year and hope to wangle a good price out of them...Basic isn't a problem, empty pump out tanks and an early start will be a priority though.....

Andrew

we might be two births shorter, depending when you want, PM me any time

Chuggy

She's now moored next to me on the Stort.

She has gone to a lovely couple who were so excited to potter off in their new home. We're hoping they'll send us photos when she's all done out.

Darren72

1. You booked your holiday with another company that went bust.

etc. etc.......

8. Publicly mauling me is hardly likely to make me offer you much, remember I have had nothing from you and owe you nothing.

A little unfair don't you think?

Excellent Chuggy . . . Constructive, precise, informative - - -

I do hope that the relevant peep appreciates your response

Enjoy a thingummy-verte

Hey chuggy hope its all going well. I chugged past on Friday think i saw you standing outside wiv your coffee.

The fleet is looking better already!

Now quick question do you still hireout to single handed?

Hi daveyboi2050

Thanks a million. I stand outside with coffee a lot. I do a lot of thinking watching you foulkes go by.

Yes, i've not had time to change major policies as yet. perhaps i should do less thinking?

Chuggy.

• 4 months later...

Gregg,

Happy new year, good luck for the year ahead ... having not hired from MW

All I can say is that in passing through last September - looking for a Elsan disposal ( listed in the Nicholson guide book as a service the yard offered)

I was greeted with you can't moor there were getting a boat ready for hire - then asking about the elsan service the reply was we don't write the guidebook ! -

Hope that the elsan emptying service is up and running for Easter 2012 when we should be passing again with a full loo ...

Ian

Thanks a much better reception the wekkend before last I need to MT the loo the two guys working late could not have been more helpful - thanks you see you again soon ... PS do you operate the dry dock across the water ? were after using one in the spring if we can ? please DM me here or twitter @ianclimb8

Thanks a much better reception the wekkend before last I need to MT the loo the two guys working late could not have been more helpful - thanks you see you again soon ... PS do you operate the dry dock across the water ? were after using one in the spring if we can ? please DM me here or twitter @ianclimb8

Hi, I have used MN a number of times in the past with friends, was happy to go back to them. MN was how I got into boating, so thanks for that! They do have a good reputation, especially with more traditional type boats. Was under the impression that the fleet had not been updated as often as others, but we have not been boating up that way for a while. Hope all goes very well with your new buisness adventure, I hope to soon have a nb of my own.

I haven't hired from them but we were comming up the lock as they were doing a handover. Very good straightforward explanation of how to operate the lock, including all the safety info, cill, not leaving windlass on the spindle etc.

Before anyone says it the explanation was for the hirer not me.

Saw the boat later in the week on our way back from the Weaver family were having a great time.

Ken