Stourport Inquest Verdict

Josher

Featured Posts

Accidental Death ...

typedisplay-20.jpg

No life rings at danger lock - inquest Friday 2nd December 2011 Worcester News

PASSERS-by struggled to help a boy who drowned in a canal lock because no life-rings had been installed nearby. Robert Fidoe, who could not swim, died aged 12 after falling off his bike into the lock. His last minutes were described by friend Edward Taylor in a statement read out at Worcestershire Coroner's Court. He said the pair were cycling near the canal when Robert, of Lower Heath caravan park, Watery Lane, Stourport, insisted on crossing the lock via the narrow bridge. Edward said: “I thought I’d jump in and help, but I can’t swim, a bit but not that good. He was trying to swim and I was shouting to him, ‘swim Robert, swim’. Robert said, ‘I can’t swim’. He was shouting for help.”

Robert, a Stourport High School pupil, was half way across the 20-inch wide bridge when he fell in at about 11.50am on Friday, June 3. Rescuers pulled him from the bottom of the lock about half-an-hour later. Passerby Frederick McQueen, who was visiting Stourport basin, initially thought the boys were messing about. He said: “He seemed to be treading water but after a few seconds his hands went straight above his head and he went under the water. He didn’t resurface again.” Mr McQueen dialled 999. He said: “I thought about jumping in to help, but didn’t think I could get out myself. I looked around for a pole or a hook to help but there was nothing.”

Anthony Stammers, head of health and safety at British Waterways, told the court that a 2005 risk assessment did not identify any safety problems with the 200-year-old bridge. He said life rings had been installed since Robert’s death, but he thought they should have been there before. He said: “There was a life ring at Upper Basin. I was surprised at the logic that identified a life ring was needed there, but a similar logic wasn’t applied to the Lower Basin.” He also said he would have expected to see a handrail – and one would now be put in place. However, he said there were signs banning cycling, and the edge of the lock and the side of the bridge’s parapet were clearly marked.

Robert’s parents, who were in court, questioned why there were no danger signs. In summing up, Worcestershire coroner Geraint Williams wondered if one of Robert’s bike pedals had struck the side of the bridge throwing him off. He welcomed the installation of life rings and the handrail, but dismissed the need for specific warning signs because some things were “inherently dangerous”. A verdict of accidental death was recorded.

After the inquest Nick Worthington, waterways manager South Wales and Severn, said British Waterways would continue to ensure public safety and improve systems.

He also said he would have expected to see a handrail – and one would now be put in place.

And at every similar walkway style bridge that doesn't currently have them ?

I rather suspect not, and if so question the logic between having to modify a long-standing historic structure at Stourport, whilst leaving others that might be considered equally "dangerous", untouched.

It is probably wrong to ask too many questions on the basis of a sketchy and probably not that accurate report of an inquest, and I certainly am not intending criticism of anybody who decided not to go in themselves. However on the face of it.....

I thought about jumping in to help, but didn’t think I could get out myself.

sounds a bit odd, because I feel fairly certain that, like just about every other canal lock that probably didn't once have them, there are ladders let into the walls. (EDIT: Of course there are! - The ladder is very clearly visible in the picture above....).

Very tragic, anyway, but I'm not sure I see the introduction of a handrail at this one location as a logigal response.

Edited by alan_fincher

Accidental Death ...

typedisplay-20.jpg

No life rings at danger lock - inquest Friday 2nd December 2011 Worcester News

PASSERS-by struggled to help a boy who drowned in a canal lock because no life-rings had been installed nearby. Robert Fidoe, who could not swim, died aged 12 after falling off his bike into the lock. His last minutes were described by friend Edward Taylor in a statement read out at Worcestershire Coroner's Court. He said the pair were cycling near the canal when Robert, of Lower Heath caravan park, Watery Lane, Stourport, insisted on crossing the lock via the narrow bridge. Edward said: “I thought I’d jump in and help, but I can’t swim, a bit but not that good. He was trying to swim and I was shouting to him, ‘swim Robert, swim’. Robert said, ‘I can’t swim’. He was shouting for help.”

Robert, a Stourport High School pupil, was half way across the 20-inch wide bridge when he fell in at about 11.50am on Friday, June 3. Rescuers pulled him from the bottom of the lock about half-an-hour later. Passerby Frederick McQueen, who was visiting Stourport basin, initially thought the boys were messing about. He said: “He seemed to be treading water but after a few seconds his hands went straight above his head and he went under the water. He didn’t resurface again.” Mr McQueen dialled 999. He said: “I thought about jumping in to help, but didn’t think I could get out myself. I looked around for a pole or a hook to help but there was nothing.”

Anthony Stammers, head of health and safety at British Waterways, told the court that a 2005 risk assessment did not identify any safety problems with the 200-year-old bridge. He said life rings had been installed since Robert’s death, but he thought they should have been there before. He said: “There was a life ring at Upper Basin. I was surprised at the logic that identified a life ring was needed there, but a similar logic wasn’t applied to the Lower Basin.” He also said he would have expected to see a handrail – and one would now be put in place. However, he said there were signs banning cycling, and the edge of the lock and the side of the bridge’s parapet were clearly marked.

Robert’s parents, who were in court, questioned why there were no danger signs. In summing up, Worcestershire coroner Geraint Williams wondered if one of Robert’s bike pedals had struck the side of the bridge throwing him off. He welcomed the installation of life rings and the handrail, but dismissed the need for specific warning signs because some things were “inherently dangerous”. A verdict of accidental death was recorded.

After the inquest Nick Worthington, waterways manager South Wales and Severn, said British Waterways would continue to ensure public safety and improve systems.

It's always someone else's fault..... :angry:

Had this happened to me (and I know what it's like to loose a child... :( ) I would be blaming myself for neglecting to teach the kid how to swim. Why do the courts never point out the obvious.... :closedeyes:

Very tragic, anyway, but I'm not sure I see the introduction of a handrail at this one location as a logical response.

Indeed. I'd have thought that a hand rail would have made it even more hazardous when cycling across it. :wacko:

Seriously, though, there are several locks just up from this one with a footbridge of an identical pattern. It could be argued (and here I am doing it) that a hand rail would make it more dangerous. In its current state, people with normal risk assessment capabilities would look at the bridge and go, "Hmm, that looks a trifle unsafe, I shall walk around". Equip it with a hand rail, and people will think, "This must be where I am supposed to cross, still looks dodgy but I'll give it a go". Followed by an "oh!" and a splash.

Mind you, I know what they mean about the signs. I recently had to take a hammer back because there were no warning signs on it not to strike it against my forehead.

As a sidebar, this sorry case highlights the advisability of teaching children to swim. I know that with clothes on swimming is harder work, but at least the lad would have known what to do.

Swimming is a life skill, and a life saving one. If I couldn't swim, I too would have died this year, in the river Avon

The lad was in High School. Surely, all children are taken for swimming lessons in Primary School, or has that been cut back now?

I don't know, I had swimming lessons at school, but we have no Children and my parents are well into their retirement from teaching. I do know that our local pool (5 minutes walk from the house) is unavailable for much of the week because schools have booked it, but then we live in Somerset and are stuck in the 1970's, which isn't entirely a bad thing

It's always someone else's fault..... :angry:

Had this happened to me (and I know what it's like to loose a child... :( ) I would be blaming myself for neglecting to teach the kid how to swim. Why do the courts never point out the obvious.... :closedeyes:

Indeed, I believe NOH at the time pointed out the bridge is OBVIOUSLY dangerous, so a warning sign is pointing out the bleedin' obvious, and a daredevil kid would ignore it.

I would have thought something either side that forces a cyclist to dismount would be a better bet

A tragedy for the family

edited to add: whilst I do not blame anyone who felt they could not go in after the lad, the guilt I'd be feeling had I stood and watched would not be good, but to some extent it is instinct, as Alan said, there must be a ladder, but most members of the public don't know this as a matter of course. I'd be the one who jumped in and then found the ladder I'd assumed was there wasn't...

Edited by magpie patrick

BW have just finished repairing the top two locks at Fradley & the one with that type of bridge has had the handrail treatment. I guess that they will all have them in due course.

I hope that they slap some paint on this one, at the moment it looks like it's been knocked together from some old packing cases.

edited to add: whilst I do not blame anyone who felt they could not go in after the lad, the guilt I'd be feeling had I stood and watched would not be good

David Blagrove talks of the same feelings in his book, 'The Quiet Waters By'. When, working as a Thames relief lock keeper, he witnessed a drowning at Mapledurham IIRC.