HMS Belfast brow collapsed

Roxy

Featured Posts

I must be missing out then never knew everthing I need to know in my life is on Google and wikiwatsitname.

You can learn more from talking and listening to old farts than any "search engine".

Bollox to the popcorn I shall stick to the whiskey.

Google is very useful but also very energy intensive & therefore not terribly friendly to the environment. I don't think it's a good idea to encourage a general attitude that looking on Google first is the way to go.

Tim

Slightly less sensational BBC news link than the Daily Fail one posted elsewhere......

HMS Belfast - Two Injured At Gangway Collapses

However I think you can play things down a bit too far....

Mr Reed said work had been carried out on the walkway for the past seven weeks and it passed a safety test.

"It was quite safe for people to walk across," he said.

Oh really ?!?

Slightly less sensational BBC news link than the Daily Fail one posted elsewhere......

HMS Belfast - Two Injured At Gangway Collapses

However I think you can play things down a bit too far....

"It was quite safe for people to walk across,"

Oh really ?!?

Well it was.....

Just for information planning consent has been granted recently for the rebuilding of the entrance pavilion to HMS Belfast. See link planningI understand work was being done to the access walkway as part of the enabling works. It was schedued to have the new pavilion completed prior to the olympics - this may now be in doubt. HMS Belfast is part of the Imperial War Museums who are funding the improvement works

• 2 weeks later...

I was taught to call it the brow as well. Interestingly enough though I just had a class on construction and stability and apparently the technical definitions are:

The gangway: Is the opening in the side of the ship by which people embark and disembark

The brow: Is a flat section at the base of the gangway where people can step

The gangplank: Is the bit that goes between the ship and shore.

For those that were curious.