HMS Belfast brow collapsed

Roxy

Featured Posts

Blimey! Dead lucky no-one hurt.

Nothing helpful to add, but some speculation though.

I don't remember the walkway having the scaffolding roof and side paneling on it when I visited HMS Belfast three or four years ago. I wonder if the weight of a poorly designed scaffold took it down.

ETA: Why do you call it a 'brow'? Is that the technical name for it? I read the thread thinking it was a mis-type and perhaps the HMS Belfast BOW had collapsed, somehow!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Id sure rather be happy to be stuck on the ship than to be walking down that brow when it collapsed. At least the passengers can be arranged to get off safely.

Thanks for the info peeps

[quote name='Mike the Boilerman' timestamp='1322574348' post='787434'

ETA: Why do you call it a 'brow'? Is that the technical name for it? I read the thread thinking it was a mis-type and perhaps the HMS Belfast BOW had collapsed, somehow!

You should stop drinking too much mike then you'll be able to read it properly :lol::wub:

''The brow is the gangway, or plank that people use to board and disembark the ship.''

Id sure rather be happy to be stuck on the ship than to be walking down that brow when it collapsed. At least the passengers can be arranged to get off safely.

Thanks for the info peeps

You should stop drinking too much mike then you'll be able to read it properly :lol::wub:

''The brow is the gangway, or plank that people use to board and disembark the ship.''

Never heard that expression, not in my dictionary, whence comes your quote?

Is it an RN thing, or a Thames thing, perhaps?

Tim

Never heard that expression, not in my dictionary, whence comes your quote?

Is it an RN thing, or a Thames thing, perhaps?

Tim

I have heard it used on cruise ships, to refer to the lower level gangway to the quayside from deck 4/5 (as opposed to the steeper boarding ladder from deck 7/8)

Oh FFS here we go again!!! lets all now argue on where the term brow comes from eh!??

its a naval term used for gangplank

Thankyou Jenlyn that is where it comes from

and being a ex navel ship is why I called it that and why it is CALLED THAT!!!!!!!!!! Its not the P&O bloody ferry!

HMS Belfast brow has just collapsed into the river. Cant add anymore details as yet but I sure hope no one was hurt or even killed. Does anyone have anymore info on this??

I've just popped along to have a look. I spoke to a copper who said that there were 80 people trapped on HMS Belfast when the walkway collapsed. All off safely and no one was on the walkway at the time. Could have been a very different story if this had taken place at Half Term when visitors were queuing all the way along it.

The scaffolding has only just been put up to enable refurbishment to take place. I don't know whether it's relevant but it's extremely windy on the Thames at the moment.

P1080807.jpg

P1080806.jpg

P1080803.jpg

Oh FFS here we go again!!! lets all now argue on where the term brow comes from eh!??

and being a ex navel ship is why I called it that and why it is CALLED THAT!!!!!!!!!! Its not the P&O bloody ferry!

Why so agitated?

:o

Tim

• Greenie 1

No doubt you are going to end up as one of the ones cited as a newcomer who has been picked on!

Keep your hair on!

Isn't reasonable if someone hasn't heard a word before, that they try and educate themselves about its meaning and origins ?

For the record, I've never heard them called that, and have now learnt something new. Is that really a problem ?

No doubt you are going to end up as one of the ones cited as a newcomer who has been picked on!

Keep your hair on!

Isn't reasonable if someone hasn't heard a word before, that they try and educate themselves about its meaning and origins ?

For the record, I've never heard them called that, and have now learnt something new. Is that really a problem ?

Nor me

Keep your hair on!

I certainly haven't heard the term either. I was totally mystified.

I was on the Belfast last year and am certainly glad nothing like this accident happened then. Thankfully no bad injuries.

Stewey

That is what your search engine is for ie google etc....... :rolleyes:

Actually you have to look quite hard on Google to find this particular definition of the word "brow". That's why I had to quote from the "Speciality Definition" on the Webster's Online dictionary, the main definitions being eye and hill related.

David

That is what your search engine is for ie google etc....... :rolleyes:

Im just glad no one was hurt

I must be missing out then never knew everthing I need to know in my life is on Google and wikiwatsitname.

You can learn more from talking and listening to old farts than any "search engine".

Bollox to the popcorn I shall stick to the whiskey.