I think I've had enough now.

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

Sorry, but that is not correct in every case - "Troll" was used against a newer member that had unidentified engine noise issues...do you wish me to find it?

If you could that would be useful. I've got a vague recollection of someone asking a question, getting a lot of helpful responses and then indicating that they were just going to ignore everything that had been suggested. Was that the one? If so I'd agree that "troll" is a bit on the strong side, but it's not entirely out of order to question the motivation of someone asking for help who then proceeds to argue against the help they've been offered.

(if anyone disagrees with this opinion, can you limit it to the first two, as I've had rather a day of it)

It's only 2pm FGS - way more time for it to get a lot worse....

Edited by MJG

I would'nt feel the need to correct your spelling if you were not spouting on about ''facts'' and ''opinons'' and your overwhelming desire to put yorself forward as the person who will pull people and make those judgements.

But in person folks watch him cower gloriously.

I will put forward facts, and if something is a fact, I will say so. I will advance opinions, and if something is an opinion, I will be clear about that.

I make no claims to infallibility, and have never sought to represent that I am an authority on correct spelling. Whilst I may comment on spelling so deliberately bad as to make conversation difficult, I generally don't take issue with minor errors of spelling. If you want to argue about spelling, I will gladly oblige though.

And I don't think those forum members who have met me will have found me to be substantially different in real life to the way I am here (and I rather doubt that they noticed me cower).

Oh, and as you have opened the spelling wars front;

The apostrophe in "wouldn't" is place between the "n" and the "t", to indicate the omision of a letter, rather than between the "d" and "n" (the word junction).

See how educational this forum is.

Is that just cliquettes or the whole forum membership? B)

The latter for preference, it would also be nice if people could refrain from quoting him too, it's like being followed around by a malignant retarded goblin.

Disclaimer: Opinions stated are entirely my own and do not represent the views or policy of The Clique.

If you could that would be useful. I've got a vague recollection of someone asking a question, getting a lot of helpful responses and then indicating that they were just going to ignore everything that had been suggested. Was that the one? If so I'd agree that "troll" is a bit on the strong side, but it's not entirely out of order to question the motivation of someone asking for help who then proceeds to argue against the help they've been offered.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42715&hl=%20engine%20%20noise&st=40

Posted by Minos half way down. He did redeem himself once the OP replied as far as I can tell. The word is too easily used though.

It may be me, but could someone please explain why I find KJS's comments irritating, not mention pompous and patronizing.

I have no idea why, when such a thing is reported so very well in the media?

Edited by Captain Jack Sparrow

I will put forward facts, and if something is a fact, I will say so. I will advance opinions, and if something is an opinion, I will be clear about that.

I make no claims to infallibility, and have never sought to represent that I am an authority on correct spelling. Whilst I may comment on spelling so deliberately bad as to make conversation difficult, I generally don't take issue with minor errors of spelling. If you want to argue about spelling, I will gladly oblige though.

And I don't think those forum members who have met me will have found me to be substantially different in real life to the way I am here (and I rather doubt that they noticed me cower).

Oh, and as you have opened the spelling wars front;

The apostrophe in "wouldn't" is place between the "n" and the "t", to indicate the omision of a letter, rather than between the "d" and "n" (the word junction).

See how educational this forum is.

You sort to dictate about opinion and facts while doing so you did it incorrectly.

I gave you the mutual respect.

Frankly I couldnt care less about little black dashes and spelling as you can more than adequately understand every word I type.

I gained exactly what I wanted to gain and you supplied it gloriously as usual.

I have no idea why, when such a thing is reported so very well in the media?

A classic example of selective interpretation. It is not what you say, although I have serious doubts about the extent of the problem you are seeking to promote, it is the style which you use. I someohow find it patronizing and pompous when someone starts telling me what I should think, and how I should conduct myself.

There are well established methods of securing support for your arguement, but that appears to be a skill that has eluded you.

Edited to add:- My wife got to page eight of this thread and lost the will to live, you could add that to your anecdotal statistics.

Edited by David Schweizer

http://www.canalworl...0%20noise&st=40

Posted by Minos half way down.

Thanks. That was the thread I was thinking about, but my recollection posted above was wrong because it wasn't a "I'm going to ignore eveything situation". If we're talking about a clique of long standing members that thread is a massive argument against. Minos (350 posts) accuses someone of being a troll and several "long standing members" with numerous thousands of posts jumped in to defend the new poster who asked the question.

Edited by Spesh

You sort to dictate about opinion Frankly I couldnt care less about spelling as you can more than adequately understand every word I type.

1) Evidently not.

2) Well, actually, no, as "sort" means type or variety; perhaps you intended to write "sought", as in "past tense of seek"; this would rather alter the meaning of your post.

Mr. T., shurely "pangolin"?

Edited by Athy

You sort to dictate about opinion and facts while doing so you did it incorrectly.

I believe that the word you want is "sought", not "sort".

Rule number 1: NEVER open a new front on spelling or grammar unless you are certain that your own is impecable.

A classic example of selective interpretation. It is not what you say, although I have serious doubts about the extent of the problem you are seeking to promote, it is the style which you use. I someohow find it patronizing and pompous when someone starts telling me what I should think, and how I should conduct myself.

There are well established methods of securing support for your arguement, but that appears to be a skill that has eluded you.

Edited to add:- My wife got to page eight of this thread and lost the will to live, you could add that to you anectdotal staistics.

Could you tell me where my general comment about the concern of vulnerable users is aimed squarely at you. I have failed to find my post which names you as the sole party responsible for this action.

Go ahead, adopt the Ostrich pose and jam your head in the sand, that way you can continue to ignore something that is a real problem in modern times. You don't have to be concerned if you choose not to.

I find it offensive that you fail to accept that the problem could even exist when it so clearly does. This forum is not immune unless you can prove otherwise.

I suppose your comment about adding your wife to the statistics is akin to mocking someone that is suicidal. I'd hold off on applying to The Samaritans for now if I were you.

I believe that the word you want is "sought", not "sort".

Rule number 1: NEVER open a new front on spelling or grammar unless you are certain that your own is impecable.

Photo-finish I think, Dave!

Did you mean "impeccable"?

• Greenie 1

Yes, but I mean, actually go through the members list and see their post count. I'm not talking about spam bots.

Cap'n jack

You have been a member for twenty days and this depth of knowledge allowed you to post fairly unpleasent remarks about it on Just Canals. Yes we do not always agree and yes just like real life there are people who enjoy nothing more than insulting other peoples views. It is a forum agree or disagree it is your choice, no one forces anyone to join or to take part in any discussion.

Ken

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I gained exactly what I wanted to gain and you supplied it gloriously as usual.

Which presumably was a reaction. Any arguments against this sort of thing being trolling?

Looks like, sounds like, it must be but then all the posts have been like that.

Start to lose the discussion and then move onto another tack.

Classic trolling but this is only my opinion, no other clique or member has influenced me in this posting.

No, "it" is spelled with an "i" and a "t". There's no "c". Idiot.

However, "the world" contains seven "c"s. It's not easy this spelling lark, I can see why people get confused.

:P

Go ahead, adopt the Ostrich pose and jam your head in the sand, that way you can continue to ignore something that is a real problem in modern times. You don't have to be concerned if you choose not to.

Sorted your mattress out yet, Doc, sorry Capt.?

Could you tell me where my general comment about the concern of vulnerable users is aimed squarely at you. I have failed to find my post which names you as the sole party responsible for this action.

I find it offensive that you fail to accept that the problem could even exist when it so clearly does. This forum is not immune unless you can prove otherwise.

I suppose your comment about adding your wife to the statistics is akin to mocking someone that is suicidal. I'd hold off on applying to The Samaritans for now if I were you.

There is little point in seeking to debate an issue with someone so convinced that they know everthing, that they will invent what others have said (or not said) in order to massage their failing arguement.

I am out of this discussion, and unlike you who threatened the same nearly three hours ago, I will not be enticed back into your dreary little world by more of your dillusionary imnsults

I think I'll step out of this anyway as my pointing out the vulnerability of certain people who frequent forums/social sites ,etc

For the benefit of anyone who hasn't sussed him.

Captain Jack Sparrow is Theguitardoctor.

Slags us off, on the friendly forum, but he just can't stay away.

There is little point in seeking to debate an issue with someone so convinced that they know everthing, that they will invent what others have said (or not said) in order to massage their failing arguement.

As I found out, with his previous incarnation.