I think I've had enough now.

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

My experience has been that there is a core of regular posters on here who have a tendency, possibly unwittingly, to generally put down, criticise, round upon, attack, belittle or overwhelm anyone who's not part of the clique..............

The fact that you are collecting "greenies" Trevor would indicate there is support for your views, (unless it is twits like me that manage to hit the "greenie" button when I am actually trying to hit the "multi-quote" button!....).

Widespread support for the idea always intrigues me, because whilst I feel there are a definitely number of forum regulars who are always more prominent, (no surprise there really, I guess!), as soon as people start using terms like "clique" or "mafia", or "usual suspects", to me it indicates a group of people ganging together to pick on others as a regular thing.

The idea doesn't stand up for me. I can only guess who you, (or anybody else), might consider to be part of the clique, but I suspect it would produce a list of names that can be quite easily demonstrated to be taking very different sides of many of the debates that take place. Certainly the list would not all be people who are always good buddies, would it ?

I perceive the regular appearance of many newcomers, often quite forthright in their approach from their forum debut, who simply never get subjected to what you are suggesting.

I would put it to you that there are only a relatively small number of people who actually appear then try and start dissent on a whole series of different fronts, but don't actually have the facts or debating skills to back up their position.

It is actually quite bizarre in those cases, (and I actually don't think there are that many), to see people who would normally be poles apart become almost united in their frustration at what is going on.

I can think of many of the more prominent posters on here who know that they will never agree with each others points of views on certain issues, but between them only very rarely do things descend to the levels that people have sought to provoke recently.

But I probably would say all that, if I were considered part of the "clique", wouldn't I ?

• Greenie 2

I think its just a matter of the regulars are better versed at self preservation and rebuttle there fore giving a slightly aggressive appearance, anyway just to derail things slightly I need a brain scan thats a leveller :o

You need a brain though for it to be scanned....

that's a leveller :P

I've only been here a few weeks myself, and no one has belittled me or been tw***y about any of my admittedly stupid questions.

(For instance, asking the best way to move 100weights of ballast from the marina entrance to the moored boat... Rather than even thinking of moving the boat to the ballast! :lol: )

Infact some of the people whom I assume are being classed as the 'clique' or 'in gang' are the people who have been the most friendly and helpful to me, both on the forum and actually coming out on their own free time to help me in person or inviting me to social and boaty events.

And before I joined this forum in September, nobody here knew me from Adam, so if there is a clique, I must say it's not that hard to gain admittance!

Edited by Lady Muck
swearing
  • Greenie 4

The problem with the "clique" theory is that there is no coordinated response by those I assume the theorists think are in said clique.

If I'm involved in a row I do not ask for any support, nor do I expect it.

I also agree or disagree with anybody on the forum, depending on what they say, not who they are or how long they've been a member.

First rule of The Clique is DO NOT talk about The Clique... ;)

For what it's worth, there are I think a selection of regulars, some of whom can come down hard on people asking questions the regulars think stupid. But I don't think they're a clique by any stretch of the imagination. The only thing they have in common is their disagreement!

My experience has been that there is a core of regular posters on here who have a tendency, possibly unwittingly, to generally put down, criticise, round upon, attack, belittle or overwhelm anyone who's not part of the clique, and then act all hurt and self righteous when it leads to people withdrawing from debate on the grounds that they were simply exercising their right to have an alternative opinion. If they end up just sniping at each other because the rest of us can't be bothered setting ourselves up to be knocked down, it's self inflicted.

Yes, greeny

First rule of The Clique is DO NOT talk about The Clique... ;)

For what it's worth, there are I think a selection of regulars, some of whom can come down hard on people asking questions the regulars think stupid. But I don't think they're a clique by any stretch of the imagination. The only thing they have in common is their disagreement!

I think you are quite right and I think they believe that they are simply consumate forum debaters. They don't agree with one another a lot of the time but they become united mass-debaters at times.

• Greenie 1

And before I joined this forum in September, nobody here knew me from Adam, so if there is a clique, I must say it's not that hard to gain admittance!

I did. Adam's that daft bloke that walks around wearing a fig leaf. I think there's a thread on here somewhere about naked narrow boaters that's to do with him too.

• Greenie 1

Oh, bollocks it's all gone silly; I'll shut up then... :) but...

I'm down the bottom of page one and I will read further but having today had Snib's advice, valued as it is; I can sympathise with "ah F*ck it" for the ill informed diatribe in certain threads.

The offside might be that we *have become a bit cliquey although I think it's probably that we have got tired of arguing the same points over the years and seeing the same below the belt jibes come back. I used to argue that "use the search" was to stifle conversation; these days that conversation might be best not have happened at all...

Bear in mind that it's often the same people; who make valuable contributions, the end up circling the pit in times like these!

HOWEVER... I take pride in contributing to probably the single, best, concentration of waterways knowledge, from SNib's alternator advice to Gibbo's battery understanding to Big John's mooring notes & I think we can take pride in the resource this site has become.

Edited by Smelly
  • Greenie 1

I've only been here a few weeks myself, and no one has belittled me or been twatty about any of my admittedly stupid questions.

Youre lucky though. A few months ago it may have been a different story, but your posts are open hearted and likeable, always welcome :)

HOWEVER... I take pride in contributing to probably the single, best, concentration of waterways knowledge, from SNib's alternator advice to Gibbo's battery understanding to Big John's mooring notes & I think we can take pride in the resource this site has become.

Thats a deffo

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Deal Martin. Actually I've just spent the day in the company of a lot of nurses, STH knows why...and they were very nice.

Mysterious - but uninteresting.. I've spent 33 years with 'em

I've not been a member on here for long, but it rapidly became obvious that there was a hardcore of "long standing members" who regularly descended into personal abuse and wrecked the topic. Personally I don't think that is probably their intention, but I do think they lack the social skills to appreciate how repulsive others see their rantings. The trouble is though, I find these same people have a great deal of knowledge and experience which I have found extremely interesting and valuable. So I don't know what the best answer is except to encourage them to learn how to respect others who take a different view or have less knowledge than them. They have a lot to offer, but they also have a lot that's not wanted. Sort out which is which and we'll all benefit.

Now watch me get slagged off for that !!!!!!

Love you lots!

Brian

Really?? are you sure??? really really sure??

wow look two greenies....splendid...

Edited by MJG

I've not been a member on here for long, but it rapidly became obvious that there was a hardcore of "long standing members" who regularly descended into personal abuse and wrecked the topic. Personally I don't think that is probably their intention, but I do think they lack the social skills to appreciate how repulsive others see their rantings. The trouble is though, I find these same people have a great deal of knowledge and experience which I have found extremely interesting and valuable. So I don't know what the best answer is except to encourage them to learn how to respect others who take a different view or have less knowledge than them. They have a lot to offer, but they also have a lot that's not wanted. Sort out which is which and we'll all benefit.

Now watch me get slagged off for that !!!!!!

Love you lots!

Brian

have a greenie

• Greenie 3