Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, cksantos85 said:

Im am new to narrowboating. Live in hawaii. I want a boat looking for a 50/50 partner. Or house/boat swap of some sort. 

There was a post the other day someone looking for a long share, think it was MikeBangkok  or some such name

On 22/01/2005 at 17:34, DHutch said:

Excellent, welcome aboard both of you

- hope you find this place during your adventures!!

daniel

Hi I''m so new to this idea of narrowboat living I  have a thousand questions. I'll start with this one:  I'm thinking a residential mooring on the Kennet and Avon. Is it necessary to find a mooring BEFORE buying a boat? (I'm assuming moorings are difficult to come by......correct?) 2 With residential moorings are there any regulations about minimum time living on the boat?, ( I would like to go away during the winter, how practical is it leaving a boat for say 6  months? ) How does the allocation of residential moorings work? Time limit or lease length, for example. I expect it's different from place to place. so asking costs of mooring is a difficult question to answer, if I do go ahead with this idea I'll need utilities such as electricity internet etc. Am I dreaming?  . 3: council tax, how does that work  ...any advice? That's it for now, thanking you in advance, Cheers Richard 

On 04/10/2019 at 09:38, ditchcrawler said:

There was a post the other day someone looking for a long share, think it was MikeBangkok  or some such name

I did chat with mike. We are both doing reasearch and taking our time. Best not do the wrong thing fast. He wants a classic diesel. Im not so sure i want one for my first boat. I was looking more for a 8/10 person ex hire boat. I also am very interested in canal side land with multiple moorings if anyone wants to create a mooring syndicate. Lots of neat stuff for sale canal side. We could crowdfund it. Could be like a club type thing. I dunno just thinking out loud. I think when the right opportunity comes out it will makes sense. 

5 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Hi I''m so new to this idea of narrowboat living I  have a thousand questions. I'll start with this one:  I'm thinking a residential mooring on the Kennet and Avon. Is it necessary to find a mooring BEFORE buying a boat? (I'm assuming moorings are difficult to come by......correct?) 2 With residential moorings are there any regulations about minimum time living on the boat?, ( I would like to go away during the winter, how practical is it leaving a boat for say 6  months? ) How does the allocation of residential moorings work? Time limit or lease length, for example. I expect it's different from place to place. so asking costs of mooring is a difficult question to answer, if I do go ahead with this idea I'll need utilities such as electricity internet etc. Am I dreaming?  . 3: council tax, how does that work  ...any advice? That's it for now, thanking you in advance, Cheers Richard 

It doesn't work, because there aren't any CRT residential mooring on the K&A that I can think of. 

Virtually all boaters living on boats either have no mooring and cruise, or illegitimately moor on leisure moorings, or have spaces inside marinas.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

if I do go ahead with this idea I'll need utilities such as electricity internet etc. Am I dreaming?  

What about water, gas suppliers and toilet emptying facilities ?

All your requirements could be met by mooring your boat in a Marina (with residential planning permission & vacancies) but are unlikely to be met 'on the canal'

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What about water, gas suppliers and toilet emptying facilities ?

All your requirements could be met by mooring your boat in a Marina (with residential planning permission & vacancies) but are unlikely to be met 'on the canal'

It wasn't me asking! 

You quoted from my quote I suspect. Yet another basic bug in this Godawful forum software.

49 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It doesn't work, because there aren't any CRT residential mooring on the K&A that I can think of. 

Virtually all boaters living on boats either have no mooring and cruise, or illegitimately moor on leisure moorings, or have spaces inside marinas.

There is always freehold canal land with mooring rights

5 minutes ago, cksantos85 said:

There is always freehold canal land with mooring rights

Really? With statutory mooring rights such land falls into the 'hen's teeth rarity' category. 

Most canalside land requires CRT approval to moor, with a shedload of hoops to jump, restrictions applied and swingeing charges levied.

Got any examples of canalside land for sale with fee-free mooring rights? I'd be rather interested in buying myself... 

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

On a Canal, or a River ?

Canal. He may still have to pay access fees to trust tho i dunno. He didnt respond to inquiry so maybe its an old post. Thiers stuff out there if you look. Anything good in greater london is $$ but outside london theres deals. Little marinas, houses and cottages with moorings. Some already negotiated with CRT some not. Some of the more expensive properties are magical. I would like to create something on the canal before i die. I saw houses that go for 60 million in london on canal. So the potential is there. Just need to find the right spot. 

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmmm thats a gross return of over 10%!

Go for it!!!

Real estate flips in hawaii can do over 30% so whatever i do above and beyond a boat for myself its gotta beat deals here. Managing a boat yard from afar sounds like a recipie for disaster. However with the right group of people anything is possible. 

Edited by cksantos85

10 hours ago, cksantos85 said:

Real estate flips in hawaii can do over 30% so whatever i do above and beyond a boat for myself its gotta beat deals here.

A 'real estate flip' here has (or had) a very tightly defined meaning. Here, it means to contract to buy a house or flat and at the same time to market it for sale, find a buyer and contract to sell it to them, all in such a short time that you don't have to actually complete the purchase it yourself, you just sell them your contract to purchase it. The point of this is to avoid having to pay the (approx 5% assuming you already own another house) government tax on buying a property. 

Here though, you are tlking about buying the canal side land and keeping it, so to us Brits that is not flipping, it is buying as a business investment for the long term.

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A 'real estate flip' here has (or had) a very tightly defined meaning. Here, it means to contract to buy a house or flat and at the same time to market it for sale, find a buyer and contract to sell it to them, all in such a short time that you don't have to actually complete the purchase it yourself, you just sell them your contract to purchase it. The point of this is to avoid having to pay the (approx 5% assuming you already own another house) government tax on buying a property. 

Here though, you are tlking about buying the canal side land and keeping it, so to us Brits that is not flipping, it is buying as a business investment for the long term.

Ah, yes thats not what i meant. Sounds like its an epic loophole tho. Flip for me is buy low, renovate, sell/rent high. Adding value to old retirees business is usually really easy. Value add would be a better term but less well known. 

Nice. is that a slip or the entire marina? Or just the 

drydock shed?

Nevermind i just clicked on link and its all there. 

That would be a cool group buy. I wonder if theres enough interest to do something more ambitious like this. 

Edited by cksantos85

1 hour ago, cksantos85 said:

That would be a cool group buy. I wonder if theres enough interest to do something more ambitious like this.

Hold up. Where did THAT come from!!

Why would any of us want to buy a freehold mooring? We are footloose and fancy free itinerants. One of the main attractions of boating is not to be tied down to a freehold property......

You buy it yourself!!

• Greenie 1