Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hello everyone

We are Mark and Emma. Im 40 and Emma is 32. We are in the middle of buying our first boat from Nottingham boat sales, James and Findlay are the most polite and friendliest sales people we have ever met (yea I know they are in sales but they are also very genuine, which is very very rare for sales)

The boat is a 1996 trad stern 60foot which has just had a refit by the guys as well so everything is new on the boat. All that has been used from the previous fit has been the solid fuel stove, fridge and cooker. I supopose it would be easier to post the link so you can have a look if you want ......so here it is http://www.notts-boats.co.uk/narrowboat-kathrick.html

We have named the boat "sea the stars" and we have a mooring in Uxbridge at Packet boat marnia. Although I did want to call it "skidmark N emmaroids" but Emma would not go for it.

So our first adventure in her will be getting her from Nottingham to Uxbrdige whihc we are giving our selves 2 weeks to do. Any help or hints on this "little" are appreciated. I have had 4 boating holiday trips but they have all been on the shropshire union canal which is pretty straight forward and I have never been on a river before captain.gif

Anyway thats enough about us. Hi and its nice to meet all of you.

Mark and Emma

Welcome! Mark and Emma

What route have you decided upon?

Hello Paul thanks for the welcome.

We were just going to follow the grand union? we have been told it runs from pretty much nottingham down to Uxbridge.

Er, hello! I'm an American from the part of the country that doesn't have canals, and my DH is an Englishman. We are looking at buying boat to liveaboard. Renting flats is depressing us (and losing us lots of money) and we can't really do bricks-n-mortar due to needing to move to different universities every 9 months or so. DH is completely mad for the idea, having grown up on a canal, so the curious weights & balances of marriage mean that I have to be the sensible one! So I am introducing myself to you guys in the hopes of learning about sensible things.

We are trying to make EXTREMELY GOOD choices. Just broke the news to MiL, who was initially appalled, but then decided it was a good idea. She is a wonderful lady, but would formerly "move along" CC-ers who had overstayed their welcome - she has now been converted to our cause. Now we just have to convince SiL, who works for C&RT, of our good intentions... So even if we don't end up getting this boat, that's one village where CCers won't be chased up as much, and one C&RT staffer with more sympathy? Possibly? Maybe?

We have a budget of around £45K and are currently trying to figure out things like electricity/power use, where to live, whether to moor or cruise and what that means for power, etc etc. And trying to find a boat.

oh. Yes. We have to find a boat, don't we....

ave a look at this site (Canal Plan), it's great for planning your route....(Linky)

thats where i got the grand union route from...................was a great help that site and thanks for pointing it out.

Looks like its the union all the way with a few rivers in the mix. I know this is probably going to be a silly question but is it all sign posted like a road way. I have only been on the shropshire and that was straight up and back down again. The journey from nottingham looks a alot more complicated with a few dead ends and weirs thrown in. Just dont want to take any wrong turns.

Quite scared about bringing her home as we will only have 2 weeks to do it in as thats all we can get off work lol.

HI Mark and Emma

Congratulations. I have seen your boat as we too are buying from Notts Boat Sales. You have a smashing boat there, really nice. I hope that you will be very happy on Kathrick . wink.png))

Kimclapping.gifboat.gif

Thanks Kim, nice to "meet" you.

Thanks for the congrats, as soon as we saw the boat we knew it was the one and although we only had half the money James and Findlay still did the deal on the assumption we would the other half of the money, which we have done so its all good.

Going to spend next weekend on her even though she is in dry dock to try out the outfit and see if there are any teething problems so really looking forward to that.

What boat have you gone for?

Hi Mark and Emma

We are having one built. Like the demonstrator, don't know whether you saw that. We have rearranged the insides somewhat but have gone for the modern look. We could not decide on laminate floors or carpet, but as soon as we saw yours, we decided carpet. Bet you cant wait to get her on the water. When do you launch? Findlay has been great so far. Really nice guy to deal with. Our "shell" should be onsite in a couple of weeks and then first fit be finished by end of july. Hope to be on water mid to late September.

regards

Kimboat.gifcaptain.gifclapping.gif

Hi Mark and Emma

We are having one built. Like the demonstrator, don't know whether you saw that. We have rearranged the insides somewhat but have gone for the modern look. We could not decide on laminate floors or carpet, but as soon as we saw yours, we decided carpet. Bet you cant wait to get her on the water. When do you launch? Findlay has been great so far. Really nice guy to deal with. Our "shell" should be onsite in a couple of weeks and then first fit be finished by end of july. Hope to be on water mid to late September.

regards

Kimboat.gifcaptain.gifclapping.gif

hello Kim

yea we saw the demo boat and our friends fell in love with it. We had already been on ours so could not get that excited. Was a lovely looking boat and I am really pleased for you guys, I would not be able to wait for it, already getting impatient for ours and its ready lol.

What have you changed in the fitout?

Mark and Emma

no front well deck, pushed bedroom forward so full size. walk through bathroom. From front cruiser deck, which we have extended, into galley, open saloon and dinette for space (as we have dogs). Still gone for modern look with different galley cupboard doors. cant wait.

Is it this weekend that you have had on Kathrick?

New to canals and living on board based at riley green Lancashire, but plan to do continual cruizing up to Lancaster. do we buy a cruizing license.

Can we run her on red deisel legally.

Any tips on living on board.

Help!! i am looking for a marine electriciation to help with a Les Allen narrow boat. Have had problems with batteries staying charged and have paid ££££ to have alternator replaced but to no availe.This is not my boat i am babysitting for a friend who lives in Oz and they are coming over in a month and it still will not start or hold charge when jumped. Can anyone recommend in Rugeley area pleasssssssssse!

Help!! i am looking for a marine electriciation to help with a Les Allen narrow boat. Have had problems with batteries staying charged and have paid ££££ to have alternator replaced but to no availe.This is not my boat i am babysitting for a friend who lives in Oz and they are coming over in a month and it still will not start or hold charge when jumped. Can anyone recommend in Rugeley area pleasssssssssse!

MCH Marine Electrics @mchancox

Self Employed Boat Electrical Engineer based in the Midlands. Cover all aspects of Electrical Engineering onboard Narrow Boats, Cruisers, etc.

this guy may be able to help you, regards

Kim

MCH Marine Electrics @mchancox

Self Employed Boat Electrical Engineer based in the Midlands. Cover all aspects of Electrical Engineering onboard Narrow Boats, Cruisers, etc.

this guy may be able to help you, regards

Kim

sorry, this is his link https://twitter.com/mchancox

no front well deck, pushed bedroom forward so full size. walk through bathroom. From front cruiser deck, which we have extended, into galley, open saloon and dinette for space (as we have dogs). Still gone for modern look with different galley cupboard doors. cant wait.

Is it this weekend that you have had on Kathrick?

Thats is a few changes.......very exciting times.

Nope its this weekend coming we are on the boat, really lookimg forward to it. Going up saturday morning.

Hi, I have been a lurker here for ages, thought it was about time I made a post and introduced myself. From reading the forums I know a couple of people from another forum *waves*

Been dreaming of moving onto a boat for more years than I care to remember and have now decided action is required! Aiming to make it happen in the next 2-3 years. Looking forward to learning from all your experiences in the meantime. Interested to hear from any lone female boaters as I will be going alone (unless a miracle happens in the meantime biggrin.png ) well when I say alone, I mean with my two dogs, two cats and my rats biggrin.png

Maybe I should just build an Ark.........

Edited by daisydreamer

thats where i got the grand union route from...................was a great help that site and thanks for pointing it out.

Looks like its the union all the way with a few rivers in the mix. I know this is probably going to be a silly question but is it all sign posted like a road way. I have only been on the shropshire and that was straight up and back down again. The journey from nottingham looks a alot more complicated with a few dead ends and weirs thrown in. Just dont want to take any wrong turns.

Hi Skid & Roids,

Yes the junctions are signposted. Coming down from Nottingham, the first junction you come to is Trent Lock which is a big junction where the Trent, the Soar, the Trent & Mersey and the Erewash all meet. I'm guessing you'll be going down the soar towards Leicester which is left - simple! If you haven't already, get some guides. I favour the Nicholson's guides, but rival versions are available. That way you can plan ahead properly and keep it handy when cruising so you can check whats around the bend. Some people keep them in poly-pockets or similar on wet days. The guides are like maps excepts with a lot of extra info from which weirs to look out for to which pubs to drink in.

You'll be on rivers for the first bit of the journey so prepare for that. River levels fluctuate with rainfall and are not always navigable when the levels are too high - try to factor that in when working out how long the journey will take. When you do get going you'll find you can go faster on a river because it's wider and deeper so you're not ploughing through mud. Make sure you have an anchor and chain and you know how to use them. Make sure your engine is running well because a break down will lead to you drifting downstream until you meet a weir. This is bad and is the reason for needing an anchor.

I'd advise joining a breakdown and rescue service such as RCR unless your very mechanically minded.

This is a good basic map to be going along with http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm

Above all - enjoy it. You'll have a fabulous time. smile.png

Edited by Dave_P

Hello everyone

<snip>

So our first adventure in her will be getting her from Nottingham to Uxbrdige whihc we are giving our selves 2 weeks to do. Any help or hints on this "little" are appreciated. I have had 4 boating holiday trips but they have all been on the shropshire union canal which is pretty straight forward and I have never been on a river before captain.gif

Anyway thats enough about us. Hi and its nice to meet all of you.

Mark and Emma

hi Mark & Emma ..... I bought mine from Nottingham and they were brilliant too. I brought her down to Apsley in 8 days in November 2011 so I'd say 2 weeks to Packet Boat should be plenty of time. It's a great way to learn about your boat.

Good luck - I'll keep an eye out for you passing

Kevin

Hi, I have been a lurker here for ages, thought it was about time I made a post and introduced myself. From reading the forums I know a couple of people from another forum *waves*

Been dreaming of moving onto a boat for more years than I care to remember and have now decided action is required! Aiming to make it happen in the next 2-3 years. Looking forward to learning from all your experiences in the meantime. Interested to hear from any lone female boaters as I will be going alone (unless a miracle happens in the meantime biggrin.png ) well when I say alone, I mean with my two dogs, two cats and my rats biggrin.png

Maybe I should just build an Ark.........

Welcome Daisy. I know a few lone female boaters but I'm racking my brains to think of any lone female cc'ers. From what I hear, single handing as a lone female has its advantages as apparently there never a shortage of males keen to lend a hand. On a more serious note, in a variety of situations, I've noticed plenty of ingenious ways which girls find to tackle jobs which require less physical exertion that the 'brute force and ignorance' approach adopted by many men (myself included). I'm sure you'll do fine.

Welcome Daisy. I know a few lone female boaters but I'm racking my brains to think of any lone female cc'ers. From what I hear, single handing as a lone female has its advantages as apparently there never a shortage of males keen to lend a hand. On a more serious note, in a variety of situations, I've noticed plenty of ingenious ways which girls find to tackle jobs which require less physical exertion that the 'brute force and ignorance' approach adopted by many men (myself included). I'm sure you'll do fine.

Didn't someone set a group up specifically for loon women boaters?

Edited by ditchcrawler

Tree tried to set up a group for LONE female boaters, but it didn't really take off. It wasn't really something I was interested in but bizarrely, a fair few guys seemed to be most put out at the very idea of it... rolleyes.gif

I think most of us manage pretty well anyway. smile.png

Edited by Starcoaster

That's good to know :D I'm going to try and get as much practice in on friend's boats before I venture out on my own

Didn't someone set a group up specifically for loon women boaters?

I think the term 'loon' woman boater will cover me nicely laugh.png

Tree tried to set up a group for LONE female boaters, but it didn't really take off. It wasn't really something was interested in but bizarrely, a fair few guys seemed to be most put out at the very idea of it... rolleyes.gif

I have no problem with a group for lone (or loon) women boaters. Well, so long as you let me join. I promise to put my heels and lippy on when I log in.

That's good to know biggrin.png I'm going to try and get as much practice in on friend's boats before I venture out on my own

I think the term 'loon' woman boater will cover me nicely laugh.png

Sorry, fingers out of control again

Tree tried to set up a group for LONE female boaters, but it didn't really take off. It wasn't really something was interested in but bizarrely, a fair few guys seemed to be most put out at the very idea of it... rolleyes.gif

I couldn't remember who it was. My posting was a genuine mistake as I am sure you will know from my spelling in the past and no offence was intended.