Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

HI there,

my name is hughie and I'm retired maintenance fitter who lives alone with my working cocker spaniel.It is my intention to sell my house and live on a narrowboat.I don't need to ask any questions at present because just by working my way through the forum pages covers most problems.Every day we walk along the canal here at whaley up to buxsworth so I'll keep a lookout for you .Keep up the good work.Many thanks.Hughie.

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hello

We are returning to boating after 21 years ( have had two sons in the meantime, that can now look after themselves).

We are currently considering buying a boat of approx 58 foot and are currently trying to work out whether the buy a secondhand boat ( but can't find one that ticks all the boxes), or to have a sailaway plus additions such as heating, water and electrics, or whether to have a new one commissioned from scratch.

Any advice would be appreciated, including which hulls / boatbuilders to use.

Thank You

Hi just thought i would introduce myself here, not exactly new to boating but not very experienced. We (me, my mum, dad and my husband) all used to go on at least two narrowboat holidays a year. Then after inheriting some money from my grandad when he passed away we bought a 59ft Cruiser Stern narrowboat (called at the time "Taylor Made") now called "Seven", after our very brave border collie but thats a whole other story. We bought the boat two weeks after I gave birth to my son, who is now 22 months old, and due to a whole host of reasons my husband, me and my son have not really been able to go on the boat much, apart from a week last summer and a couple of weekends.

Anyway we are hoping that this year to be on there a lot more, now my son is walking and almost talking we think he would love spending weekends there. Bit of a ramble but there you go :)

Good afternoon

I'm a new member here and new to the world of boating. biggrin.png

My offer for the purchase of a Norman 23 was excepted today and I will soon be its proud owner.

Its moored on the Lancaster Canal about 30 minutes from home and I cant wait to begin its restoration.

Its fine as it is mind and it will sail (if that's the right terminology) , it just wants a bit of TLC.

I belong to a few other forums for my other hobbies and find them invaluable.

So bear with me whilst I pick up on the boating lingo and I apologise beforehand for all the newby questions I will undoubtedly will be asking.

Thanks for having me.

So.....

I'll jump straight into it and post my first question on the appropriate forum section in a bit.

Regards

Gordon

Hi

I'm Andrew and have been a lurker for a while. Currently me and the missus are living and working in the city but are both looking to move back to the countryside where we belong and making a new life on board a NB. We both spent a couple of years of our misspent youth living in other types of transportation (Dreadlocks and all). We must be mad as we are even looking forward to the bleak winter months huh.png - you don't properly see the seasons living in central London.

Hi my name is Ian. I am new on here but have been a lurker for some time. After getting divorced I spent 2 years looking for a trad or semi trad boat while waiting for the house to sell.when it did I then bought Blue Orchid a 44ft cruiser lol. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. Totally not what I ever thought that I would buy to live aboard. I sailed her up from Mercia marina to rufford last summer single handed, My first sail ever single handed and my previous trips on a narrowboat had been as crew on only 2 or 3 times in the past . It has been 1 of the best things that I have ever done.I have had 1 or 2 problems with her ( webasto, calorfier,and now a problem with the alternator) but have found that every boater that I have meet up with more than helpful to put me intouch with someone that can get things sorted out.I wish that I had done this years ago. This season I intend to sail from Crooke on the L+L to Strattford on Avon and Oxford or wherever the fancy takes me. It will be easier this year as I now have crew(Karen) lol. Say Hi if you see us

HI me and my partner are planning to aquire our own boat in the next five years to live aboard with our 2 children. We go up to Braunston a lot and have walked a lot of the canal towpaths there and near us on the Kennet and Avon. We will be attending the boat festival there in june!! My partner (Judith and MArk by the way ) has boated in the past but I am a novice! I have done locks a lot tho.

Hi all!

I'm new to boating too but have picked up some great tips on here and thought it was about time I registered. We seem to be coming into it at a different stage to a lot of people, being in our mid-twenties. We thought it might not be cheaper than living on land, but we'd never be able to get a mortgage for our own space (I'm self employed, so borrowing's a nightmare) so we saw this as the way to do it. We've got three months left on our flat and are hoping it's long enough to do up the 50ft narrowboat we just bought!

Lucy and Matt

Hi We are John,Sally and Charlie,

Looking to buy are first boat very soon.

I know im going need loads of Qs answered please before we make the big step.

Cheers John

Hi, We have had are our boat for 6 weeks now, we took 2 years to find out exactly what we wanted in our boat. We then took another 6 months finding the right builder. 1 tip that was given to us was "don't rush, take your time and get it right fist time and if you can, only ever but 1 boat" The people who told us this bought a boat and then 3 years later decided to have a boat built to their exact requirements but then took another year to sell their first boat delaying their retirement by a year.

Hi just thought i would introduce myself here, not exactly new to boating but not very experienced. We (me, my mum, dad and my husband) all used to go on at least two narrowboat holidays a year. Then after inheriting some money from my grandad when he passed away we bought a 59ft Cruiser Stern narrowboat (called at the time "Taylor Made") now called "Seven", after our very brave border collie but thats a whole other story. We bought the boat two weeks after I gave birth to my son, who is now 22 months old, and due to a whole host of reasons my husband, me and my son have not really been able to go on the boat much, apart from a week last summer and a couple of weekends.

Anyway we are hoping that this year to be on there a lot more, now my son is walking and almost talking we think he would love spending weekends there. Bit of a ramble but there you go smile.png

Well done for boating with a todler. We bought a share in Fulbourne when my firstborn was a few weeks old and twenty years later all three kids have grown up boating (and very confident with it). We have met so many people who have given up boating when their kids were born, and it seems such a shame. My parents took me boating aged 7, and nearly 50 years on I'm still at it!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Well done for boating with a todler. We bought a share in Fulbourne when my firstborn was a few weeks old and twenty years later all three kids have grown up boating (and very confident with it). We have met so many people who have given up boating when their kids were born, and it seems such a shame. My parents took me boating aged 7, and nearly 50 years on I'm still at it!

David

Believe me it is a challenge at times. Currently we are trying to work out the sleeping arrangements, as he is too big now for a travel cot, but the bed is rather high and if he fell out of it would probably end up hurt. Still working on this one but hopefully we will get it sorted soon.

HI all........I will make this brief as i am sure i will get on your nerves with all the questions i will be asking as my wife and i plan our move back to the UK in the not too distant future.

We are Bob and Jane,... Having taken early retirement in 2008 and after years of travelling around Europe in various motor homes we have put down tenuous roots here in central Portugal.

It is our intention to return to the UK and end our days living on a canal boat and touring the canals of our home country with our little dog Fizz.

I should say we are no strangers to the ways of the cut having spent many happy holidays on hire boats but that was many years ago and i have no doubt things have changed in many ways.

I said i would keep it brief and really that`s it for now......I look forward to much banter about our chosen lifestyle.

Regards.

Bob,Jane and Fizz.

Hi y'all!smile.png I am Ben from Alsager, Cheshire.

I have thought about living on a narrowboat for many years.

Through my job I came across a narrowboating couple and after much chatting and looking around their boat I am now seriously thinking about selling my bricks and mortar and living on a narrowboat. I am both nervous and excited. I have a lot to learn so be gentle with me!boat.gif

Edited by Benjam

Hi

my name is Di and I am new to boating (although as a family we have had sail boats in the past - hubbie sails & powerboats and our daughter (14yrs) is a sea cadet who sails too - probably better than either of us both if we're honest)

We have just bought our first narrow boat - shes called Nemesis - (picked up her keys yesterday and gave her a good ole clean) shes a sound enough vessel (phew) just needs a little TLC and a good ole session with my sewing machine (a bathroom refit and new cooker and fridge but we can muddle on in the meantime)

looking forward to chatting to everyone xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi the name is Philip and am very new to boating - at the moment I am fulltiming in a motorhome (and have been for six months) I managed to drop out and get early retirement last year after my divorce! I bought the motorhome with a view to do some travelling and have been away to France for several months, I really enjoyed it but now realise that the local councils here just don't cater for motorhomes in fact I think the majority wish we never darkened their doors again. with the motorhome I have to move every day unless I am on a camp site. Whereas with a boat I could actually relax.

So now its time for a change my brother has lived on a narrowboat for several years in the past and now its my turn. I am on the verge of buying a Tug style Trad that's just had a new fit out......just cant make my mind up!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

My name is Andy & am hoping to get lots of information over the coming year, for myself becoming a boat owner. I've just got back from the Crick show yesterday and actually spent 2 days up there, getting further insights into ownership. I think it'll be a year before I have sufficient funds in place. I'm coming at it as a new homeowner as I don't own a bricks & mortar home...

I'm in the West Midlands, around Bromsgrove/Droitwich area.

In anticipation of learning lots in a short space of time, perhaps I'll bump into some of you at various shows/open days.