Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Thank you very much for this Starcoaster.

It is very useful and reassuring.

I came up with a blank on that mouring link though, but I know that's not going to be easy.

Mark

No worries. Better to ask now than ask later when you're committed! Mooring is often the problem or sticking point, and I'm not sure how the rules or how it goes on the Thames differ from on CRT waters.

Hello

I'm Josh, and I'm seriously considering a canal boat instead of a first house. Ever since going on canal boats when I was younger, and cycling the canals of Shipley and the like, I've dreamed of having one. The whole thought of living on the waterways just appeals to me so much. I understand it might be, less than ideal to live on one? But I'm quite a determined fellow, and still young enough to live on a sofa and not think twice, so a canal boat, I imagine, should be my own little heavenly hideout.

I've done a bit or research here and there, looking at boats, mooring, servicing and insurance, all that jaz and the bill that comes with it, but I'm not put off yet.

I am interested to know, if like for cars and the sorts, been in the under 25's bracket makes me susceptible to a whacking great insurance bill? Is there any age limits on these things, with licensing and such? Do you have to have a canal boat licence to drive one? And most importantly, can I get internet? :P

Anyway, I hope not to get shot down in flames because I'm a bit young and a dreamer, but really, this would just be the greatest start for me, and something I think I'd enjoy for decades to come.

Thanks!

Josh.

Edited by Foxtrot

Welcome to the forum Josh..

Hmm, you'll have loads of questions, of course, and piles of research to do.

May I suggest the very best things you could do,

Read loads and loads of the threads on this forum, starting with FAQ's (here), and then all the many many threads on liveaboards.

Secondly - - get down to the canal, and start talking to the boaters, (we're mostly a friendly bunch) and ask more questions

Thirdly, before you make any step towards buying a bopat, hire one, for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, (and at least 1 spell in winter!) - there are hire companies near to you

And, please be aware, if you have a job, and need to work in a specific location, you will need to rent a proper mooring, - - but that will become apparent in reading this forum.

Enjoy!

Hi All

Me and the missus are new to boating, having had our nb just 3 months now (Still waiting for the novelty to wear off). She is not much to look at right now but she is watertight and has a sound engine. She just needs some love to bring her back up to scratch. We have been looking at the possibility of living aboard for a few years and as the kids have moved out we thought it would be a good time to downsize before they decided to move back again :rolleyes: We have already learnt loads from this forum and hope to learn more as we settle into this new way of living.

My Wife put this in "New to Boating" I thought I'd put it in here too.........Not long now......... :clapping:

Just needed to say....our new boat "Swamp Frogs" should be ready early February.

We designed every detail ourselves and she is looking lovely. Hubby retires on 4th March (after 34 years at the same company).....boat in the water mid February....move aboard....sort out any snags....get to know our new home....then party on the 30th March...everyone stays overnight...breakfast on 31st then off we go! Continuously cruising the beautiful canals.....how great is that? Just wanted to share it with you all...see you out there x

Here she is

https://www.facebook...70579366&type=1

My Wife put this in "New to Boating" I thought I'd put it in here too.........Not long now......... :clapping:

Just needed to say....our new boat "Swamp Frogs" should be ready early February.

We designed every detail ourselves and she is looking lovely. Hubby retires on 4th March (after 34 years at the same company).....boat in the water mid February....move aboard....sort out any snags....get to know our new home....then party on the 30th March...everyone stays overnight...breakfast on 31st then off we go! Continuously cruising the beautiful canals.....how great is that? Just wanted to share it with you all...see you out there x

Here she is

https://www.facebook...70579366&type=1

have a great time

Hello!

We are two very excited new (and first time!) boat owners. We're leaving our jobs at Easter to spend a year on the waterways, exploring the country.

Can't wait! :clapping::)

The boat we've just purchased is Felucca, we'll post some snaps on the boat pictures thread when we have her out and about.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the tips and guidance we've received so far, from reading everyone's posts. The only thing* left to decide is where to go... Any suggestions on good routes would be very gratefully received, we start from near Crick. Plan to cruise April-Oct or whenever the weather turns on us.

Emily and Tom

*Not quite the only thing, but the most exciting thing...

Edited by wordnerd

HELLO FELLOW BOATERS

I AM THE NEW KEEPER OF A BEAUTIFUL CANAL BOAT THAT I HAD THE PLEASURE OF LIVING ON FOR 4 WHOLE DAYS BEFORE THE SHINE STARTED TO WEAR

OFF AS THE BATTRIES DIED AND I WENT ON A ROLLERCOASTER OF A RIDE TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG. WELL £500 LATER,VARIOUS ADVICE ON

" ITS YOUR ALTERNATOR,YOU NEED NEW BATTERIES" AND OTHER UNHELPFULL PAID ADVICE (NEW ALTERNATOR/BATTERY),SHE STILL HAS NO POWER.

BATTRIES ARE CHARGED AND ALL IS WELL FOR 24HRS THEN NOTHING AND THIS IS WITHOUT USEING ANYPOWER AND RUNNING THE ENGINE, CAN ANYONE

RECOMMEND SOMEONE WHO REALLY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING IN THE STAFFORDSHIRE AREA,AND A BONUS WOULD BE THAT I DONT HAVE TO SELL MY

FIRST BORN TO PAY THEM TO CHAT AND DRINK TEA!!

LOVE THE OLD GIRL JUST WANT TO GET HER WELL AGAIN!!!!

MANY THANKS

:help:

• 2 weeks later...

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi Everyone

We have just entered the world of Narrowboating, which has raised a thousand questions already !

I have found this site useful in helping me get to grips with things, even fixed a leaking strainer on the fresh water pump at the weekend.

We are based at Swanley on the Llangollen. Looking forwards to exploring the area through the coming year.

Alan

Hi Everyone

We have just entered the world of Narrowboating, which has raised a thousand questions already !

I have found this site useful in helping me get to grips with things, even fixed a leaking strainer on the fresh water pump at the weekend.

We are based at Swanley on the Llangollen. Looking forwards to exploring the area through the coming year.

Alan

Hi all, we are Karen and Chris on nb Myfanwy. We bought her in March last year and bought her down from Notts boats to Nuneaton. So far we have ventured up the Ashby on several occasions and done a lovely cruise to Banbury. Recently moved and taken a mooring at Hawkesbury. Loving every minute and are really considering the idea of up-sizing already with a view to eventually live aboard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new, and wondering where best to post my questions. And even wondering what my questions should be!! We decided a few weeks ago that instead of moving from this rented house to another rented house, we want to try living on a boat. This is me, my husband, and our 7yo daughter. We have a small budget, and need to be out of our house in about 5 weeks. My husband is very preoccupied with his work so I am trying to sort it all out, but there is SO much to learn. Which is the best place for me to ask questions so I can stop pestering my few boating friends?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, :)

I'm Corenne, currently looking into buying a boat with the family to become liveaboards, purely looking for a more laid back way of life, being self sufficient and getting away from busy towns! I've been lurking on the forum reading lots and lots of sound advice on all sorts of subjects for a while now, so thought I would come and introduce myself to you lovely bunch! :D

Hi - we are going to be joining those who live their lives on boats very shortly (hopefully before Easter); we have bought our boat, she's a cruiser style narrow boat on the Shropshire Union (Chester Canal) at present - haven't a mooring yet as the people were going to give their mooring up have decided to buy a bigger boat! We hope to get one in the Mid/North Cheshire area. Does anyone know of anywhere that's going - I have beenn watching the BW (CRT) site, but nothing as yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we are Rory & Sarah from Portsmouth, bought boat back in September 12, and loving it and hope to move onboard some day in the not to near furture.

Hi we to are from Pompy,

Hi we are Graeme & Sue from Portsmouth......More new boaters....will there be any room left on the canals! jusy imagine if all these moorings in the marinas suddenly deceided to take a trip on the same day, grid lock!!!

Been hiring for a few years now, been looking at options, i have a thread in holidays 'hire boat blues' its time i think to bite the bullet and look for a share option

Edited by Rory & Sarah

Good day everyone.

My name is Robin and i am about to embark on a boating adventure / challenge. I have fancied canal boating for many years and now found myself in a position to afford one.

I know 3 people with boats, one live aboard and two pleasure craft all narrow boats and this has been the focus of my research for some time. I have however now started to look at wide beams and having seen one it has opened up a whole new area of research!!

I am shortly going to be based in Chorley Lancs very close to the L + L. I have the skills to fit out a sail away so this is also on the option list.

I would welcome contact from anyone with either NB or WB in the Lancashire area who would be pleased to welcome me aboard for a look round, discussion and maybe cuppa. I will bring the biscuits.

I would also welcome views on the pros and cons of each type of boat. There is info posted obviously but would welcome any views however outrageous.

Many thanks happy sailing.

Robin

Hi all, we are Karen and Chris on nb Myfanwy. We bought her in March last year and bought her down from Notts boats to Nuneaton. So far we have ventured up the Ashby on several occasions and done a lovely cruise to Banbury. Recently moved and taken a mooring at Hawkesbury. Loving every minute and are really considering the idea of up-sizing already with a view to eventually live aboard.

Hi Karen & Chris

We are Chris & Kevin, absolute newbies. I am at the moment trying to gain as much knowledge as possible about canal boating with a view to buying one and using it for holidays and weekends and maybe living on it when we retire. I have always wanted a narrowboat and now we have the means to go for it but I want to be as prepared as possible before we do. I just wondered how much previous experience you had with boats before you bought one. I assume this is your first nb? What size is she? I would be very grateful for any advice.

Chris.

Welcome Chris and Kevin and the others who have arrived.

I spent days and weeks reading all I could find before buying my boat last December. The best advice I could give you is get to a banter - Gnosall at Easter and others listed in a sub-heading in the Virtual Pub. You will meet lots of boaters and might even be invited onto a couple of boats. Walk the towpaths/marinas and talk to boaters - you will find nearly all are very friendly and willing desperate to share their experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Although not entirely new to narrow boating, I am new to this forum. My family and I have been enthusiastic canal goers for quite a few years now, spending many weeks and weekends on the waterways of the North West, and further afield on occasions. We enjoyed the pastime so much that a few years back we had the wonderful opportunity to purchase a boat from a lovely couple who happened to be very good family friends of ours.

We have had some very joyful years and a plethora of happy memories using our boat, unfortunately the captain and commander of our vessel, being my father, passed away some 18 months ago, and although I learned many aspects of the canal community and the boat itself from him, there are many things which I still have to learn.

I’m sure that with the vast knowledge available on this site I will be able to answer some of the many questions I have, and maybe even at some point share my experiences to help others along the way too.

Warm regards,

Matt

Welcome Chris and Kevin and the others who have arrived.

I spent days and weeks reading all I could find before buying my boat last December. The best advice I could give you is get to a banter - Gnosall at Easter and others listed in a sub-heading in the Virtual Pub. You will meet lots of boaters and might even be invited onto a couple of boats. Walk the towpaths/marinas and talk to boaters - you will find nearly all are very friendly and willing desperate to share their experiences.

Thats brilliant advice many thanks Alanji! :)