Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, Peter Duddigan said:

Thanks Alan. All points noted. I meant the commercial building of recreational craft. As I am fitting my engine in a reconditioned hull, not a new one, I shan't be going the RCD route. I shall still install exhaust emissions controls all the same. 

Thanks Biscuits. Points noted. 

What hull are you fitting it in, and how big a prop do you plan on fitting? Nice looking engine

On 11/08/2020 at 13:53, Cardboard_Frog said:

Hello ! I’m Paul , I’m 18 and autistic. I’ve developed a really big interest in Narrowboat’s and I’d love to learn more about them and get some experience with them : o) One day I would like to create an eco friendly life aboard ( ideally a less than 40”! , love the idea of tiny homes ) 

Currently situated in a Liverpool , if anyone is passing by I’d love the opportunity to visit and be educated by a captain!

Hi Paul.

If you are only autistic, you are way out front of many of many the folk who post on here!

Get down the canal and talk to boaters, put yourself about.

2 hours ago, Peter Duddigan said:

A 57 foot semi trad. Narrow boat. Don't know it's history. Prop will be a four bladed 21inx 18in. Powered through a Newage 3:1 oil driven gearbox. Engine is a 3VSHM Ruston. 34hp 3.5 litre. 

I look forward to see how well it all works out, it sounds as if the prop will be turning quite slowly.

Hi I’m a retired Marine Mammal Observer

and will be looking to buy a narrow boat in a year or so.

ive joined the forum for advice and to learn all the ins and outs of this life as I’d like to spend my retirement living on a boat.

im living in London and fed up of being in the big city and city life.

looking forward to meeting people and perhaps making some contacts ?

Thank You all.

46 minutes ago, Jonty1962 said:

ive joined the forum for advice and to learn all the ins and outs of this life as I’d like to spend my retirement living on a boat.

Thank You all.

Hello and welcome.If you go to the start of the web page and have a couple of hours to spare,scroll through and you will find tons of advice,good and bad,about boating and just about everything else.

54 minutes ago, Jonty1962 said:

Thank You all.

Welcome aboard. 

Hi Peter,

Thank you for replying to my post.

yes I’m 58 years old..., haven’t yet gone into where to base myself would like to cruise the canal network first after I buy.

Are you going for a new build with yours and  to your own specifications..?

Also where are you based now you’ve taken the plunge so too speak...

Jonathan.

Hi Jonathan. I'm a 1959 baby so into my 60's now. We are getting set for retirement so a downsize and a boat are on the agenda. Working on a refurb vintage style boat that we are hoping to launch next Summer. It will be based at Barrow on Soar Middle England. I'm a Berkshire boy but headed North some years ago and love Leicestershire where my wife comes from. Good luck with your boating adventure, sounds grand. We've hired boats and done a couple of canals so got the bug and took the plunge so to speak. A grand way to live in this mad world I say.??

8 hours ago, Peter Duddigan said:

Hi Jonathan. I'm a 1959 baby so into my 60's now. We are getting set for retirement so a downsize and a boat are on the agenda. Working on a refurb vintage style boat that we are hoping to launch next Summer. It will be based at Barrow on Soar Middle England. I'm a Berkshire boy but headed North some years ago and love Leicestershire where my wife comes from. Good luck with your boating adventure, sounds grand. We've hired boats and done a couple of canals so got the bug and took the plunge so to speak. A grand way to live in this mad world I say.??

Where are the photos then?? We like photos

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, miladluuk said:

Hello everyone,

I am new here.

Welcome aboard.  Don't avoid asking questions because you think they make you look stupid - its the people who don't ask questions they need to know the answer for that are stupid.

If you do ask questions you will often be asked for more information or a photo. That is so we can give a more reliable answer because unlike cars no two boats are the same. If you don't understand the questions please tell us and like wise id you don't know how to do what we ask again tell us.

Whatever you ask the topic will almost certainly veer off with some people making jokes at your expense. its best to ignore them.

Please try to feed back the results of anything we suggest because that is the way we all learn.

Finally spend a bit of time reading the technical topics so you get a feel for those who have are answering from  extensive experience and those who are not. Any could give the correct answer but some are more likely to do so that others. It the experienced ones that often ask for more information because they know how much boats vary.

1 minute ago, miladluuk said:

Basically I am a New York (US) citizen, and I am working in UK.

There is any problem?

None apart from the separated by a common language thing when discussing technical things and if you start talking/asking about US based boats we may be at a bit of a loss. Not may huge petrol engines in UK inland boating!

Just now, miladluuk said:

Basically I am a New York (US) citizen, and I am working in UK.

There is any problem?

No problem at all - just putting your location as New York led me to wonder which one, as I live very close to the UK New York, and wondered if your boat was based on the near-by River Witham.

We may have been "ships passing in the night".

Screenshot (103).png

Hi all

We're Terry and Louise. We're new to narrowboats, and boating, and looking forward to our adventure.

Our boat is Orpheus and it needs a little work before we spend our first night on it. 

This site looks great, especially the community. I've got to fit a new chimney and collar before we spend our first "warm" night on it, so might need some pointers here and there.

thanks

Tez.

1 hour ago, ANarrowEscape said:

Hi all

We're Terry and Louise. We're new to narrowboats, and boating, and looking forward to our adventure.

Our boat is Orpheus and it needs a little work before we spend our first night on it. 

This site looks great, especially the community. I've got to fit a new chimney and collar before we spend our first "warm" night on it, so might need some pointers here and there.

thanks

Tez.

Terry and Louise, welcome to the wonderful world of boating.

Ask away, there is almost always someone who can help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm Martin and I'm just in the process of buying a 57' semi-trad. We both need work. I had lesson number one today as I lifted up the cover over the rev-counter and it flipped off its rusted hinges and over the rail. I shall be taking a large magnet on a rope with me next time. Lesson number two was closing the hatch cover and realising that I'd left the keys inside. Fortunately the front doors were only latched and not bolted. As a lover of detective fiction I was delighted, in a very mouldy drawer, to find an engine service bill from 2008 inside the handbook for the Vetus M4.15. The technician had written that he felt the engine might be over-propped and threatened dire consequences for various overloaded parts as a result. My survey says that the prop is 18"x 12 and 3-bladed. I looked up the Vetus specs and that is at the top of the range for the motor but not over. Nevertheless I shall be paying close attention to mounting bolt tightness and so on. the surveyor also told me that the prop was in really good nick. Since I know the boat has seen very little use that might be the original or a replacement. Lesson number three is to wait and see. now I'm just off out to look for a bit of steel to make a new Throttle-Quadrant cover just in case the magnet fails...