Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

On 11/05/2020 at 08:44, Sascha Auweiler said:

Hi everyone,

I’m Sascha and thinking about buying my first narrow boat this year. I’m looking for a boat with residential mooring as primarily it will be my place to live. Does anyone know residential moorings in North London//North of London? Tried Springfield Lee Valley but unfortunately they haven’t residential ones. Please let me know. Thanks, Sascha 

Rental of Residential moorings is sometimes offered by C&RT but tend to fetch around £15,000 per annum. (Provide your own boat)

You are looking to live in the most demanding area, you and 5,000 others looking for a 'cheap-flat' in an expensive city.

Hello All - We have bought a small cruiser for fun on the Shropshire / Llangollen canal / River Dee hopefully going to be moored at Chirk Marina.  Its a Mircoplus 501 Explorer - good nick and clean and tidy and the outboard (Honda 4 stroke) has been regularly serviced.  Its our first foray into boating so looking forward to doing a test run to Llangollen and back - nice and easy first time.   Suggestions for some guidance - Had RYA Power Boat Level 1 suggestion from a friend before we head out - sounds like good guidance... thoughts on that?   thanks for any replies 

4 minutes ago, Jason Boulton said:

Hello All - We have bought a small cruiser for fun on the Shropshire / Llangollen canal / River Dee hopefully going to be moored at Chirk Marina.  Its a Mircoplus 501 Explorer - good nick and clean and tidy and the outboard (Honda 4 stroke) has been regularly serviced.  Its our first foray into boating so looking forward to doing a test run to Llangollen and back - nice and easy first time.   Suggestions for some guidance - Had RYA Power Boat Level 1 suggestion from a friend before we head out - sounds like good guidance... thoughts on that?   thanks for any replies 

I doubt that would cover how to work locks etc and I am not sure if you can get to the Dee at the moment via Chester

O sorry, welcome to the forum and to boating, it has been known to be addictive

Edited by ditchcrawler

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I doubt that would cover how to work locks etc and I am not sure if you can get to the Dee at the moment via Chester

O sorry, welcome to the forum and to boating, it has been known to be addictive

Thanks ditchwater. Not a deal breaker getting onto the Dee.   Initial reading up last night suggested there was a way off the Shropshire onto the Dee but I can’t confirm.  Chirk marina rent out narrowboats so I am going to ask them about lock lessons etc.  Don’t mind paying for some guidance and as they just have novices renting I’m sure they offer something.   Just waiting for lockdown to ease.   

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Jason Boulton said:

Had RYA Power Boat Level 1 suggestion from a friend before we head out

There is an RYA Inland Waterways course if you want a certificate, but you would do better just being shown how to do locks etc by either one of the hire fleets as you suggest or just by someone who knows how to do them.

Just be aware that a small GRP boat behaves differently to a narrowboat so don't choose someone who has only ever had one narrowboat.

Watching the boater's handbook video will give you a basic understanding of what is involved.

32 minutes ago, Jason Boulton said:

Presumably at the moment with the 5-mile laws, you cannot get from St Asaph to Chirk (45 miles) anyway.

Our boat is 'stuck' at Y Felinhelli and we cannot get to her as its more than 5 miles away from home.

2 hours ago, Jason Boulton said:

Jason, welcome to the wonderful world of boating.

Most people learn by just getting on the boat and trying it out.

Boaters are generally a friendly lot, so if you are unsure what to do at a lock, just wait for another boat to come along and ask them to show you what to do.

I've been boating for nearly 50 years and always help newbies out because I can still remember how daunting my first trip seemed to be. With the help of a few friendly boaters my fears were overcome and it became a lifelong addiction.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably at the moment with the 5-mile laws, you cannot get from St Asaph to Chirk (45 miles) anyway.

Our boat is 'stuck' at Y Felinhelli and we cannot get to her as its more than 5 miles away from home.

Yes waiting for a relaxation in rules.  At the moment in storage locally.  

• Sad 1

Just now, Jason Boulton said:

Yes waiting for a relaxation in rules.  At the moment in storage locally.  

I'm not seeing any likely relaxation of the rules in the next couple of months - they have already said there will be no movement before early July and that even then they do not really anticipate lifting the 5 miles before the August review, and then it is not guaranteed.

Wrexham, Gwynedd and Denbighshire  seem to be still pretty 'hot' areas.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'm not seeing any likely relaxation of the rules in the next couple of months - they have already said there will be no movement before early July and that even then they do not really anticipate lifting the 5 miles before the August review, and then it is not guaranteed.

Wrexham, Gwynedd and Denbighshire  seem to be still pretty 'hot' areas.

Hopeful of some relaxation of rules ahead of that but will follow the guidance that is there to keep us all safe.  Suggestion on the news the following will be announced this week in wales.  We won’t know until the 18th when official review and press conference.   If it stays the Same then so be it.  

1. Re-opening non-essential shops where social distancing can be maintained.
  2. Re-opening schools from June 29.
  3. Relaxing further restrictions on more outdoor activity.

51 minutes ago, Jason Boulton said:

Hopeful of some relaxation of rules ahead of that but will follow the guidance that is there to keep us all safe.  Suggestion on the news the following will be announced this week in wales.  We won’t know until the 18th when official review and press conference.   If it stays the Same then so be it.  

1. Re-opening non-essential shops where social distancing can be maintained.
  2. Re-opening schools from June 29.
  3. Relaxing further restrictions on more outdoor activity.

Boating and marinas are more aligned with camping, camp sites and caravans than schools and shops.

You'd probably be OK launching at Rhyll and having the day at sea. (Do you have any coastal / tidal experience)

Current Gov.Wales restrictions :

Can I go out in my boat?

Yes, if you can do it locally. Outdoor leisure activities are allowed under the regulations if they can be done within your local area, including sailing, windsurfing and motor boating. This generally means not travelling further than 5 miles to access marinas, ports and harbours.

There should be no overnight stays on boats, no landing in any place beyond the immediate local area and a return to the point of departure. Activities should only be undertaken with crews of people from the same household. We advise boaters to be mindful of the potential impact that you could have on other water users and to not place unnecessary pressure on the RNLI, coastguard and emergency services.    

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Boating and marinas are more aligned with camping, camp sites and caravans than schools and shops.

You'd probably be OK launching at Rhyll and having the day at sea. (Do you have any coastal / tidal experience)

Current Gov.Wales restrictions :

Can I go out in my boat?

Yes, if you can do it locally. Outdoor leisure activities are allowed under the regulations if they can be done within your local area, including sailing, windsurfing and motor boating. This generally means not travelling further than 5 miles to access marinas, ports and harbours.

There should be no overnight stays on boats, no landing in any place beyond the immediate local area and a return to the point of departure. Activities should only be undertaken with crews of people from the same household. We advise boaters to be mindful of the potential impact that you could have on other water users and to not place unnecessary pressure on the RNLI, coastguard and emergency services.    

Ok that was my understanding.  Just need the five mile thing relaxing. Let’s see if anything changes.  Thanks for your replies. 

2 hours ago, MidnightStroller said:

Good Morning. 

Brand new to boating, moving my boat today for the first ever time - very excited. 

60x11 widebeam. 

Looking forward  to learning lots. 

Welcome to the forum.

Tell us a bit about your new boat and how you get on!

9 hours ago, MidnightStroller said:

Good Morning. 

Brand new to boating, moving my boat today for the first ever time - very excited. 

60x11 widebeam. 

Looking forward  to learning lots. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating! ?

Hey Folks, 

I'm Jonathan, I just bought my first boat, a dinky little 15ft Cara Cruiser in mint condition.  I am thrilled to be part of the boating community and will be looking to get as many tips and advice from other boaters.

I am struggling to get quotes for fully comp insurance, is this because I am new to boating? What would get companies quoting me and do you have any recommendations?  For now I only want to use the boats on the canal systems but maybe in the future I'll take her on coastal areas when I know more about it and have a depth gauge. So for inland canals it should be fairly inexpensive from what I understand especially for a little 15ft fibreglass boat.

Anyways, would love to get to know some of you. Please do get in touch if you'd like to have a chat.

Cheers,

Jonathan 

2 minutes ago, jon.h said:

I am struggling to get quotes for fully comp insurance,

Try Craftinsure online.  They will require a recent survey on an older boat, and a Caracruiser is likely to be!

Pictures please, many of us like unusual watercraft.

21 minutes ago, jon.h said:

Hey Folks, 

I'm Jonathan, I just bought my first boat, a dinky little 15ft Cara Cruiser in mint condition.  I am thrilled to be part of the boating community and will be looking to get as many tips and advice from other boaters.

I am struggling to get quotes for fully comp insurance, is this because I am new to boating? What would get companies quoting me and do you have any recommendations?  For now I only want to use the boats on the canal systems but maybe in the future I'll take her on coastal areas when I know more about it and have a depth gauge. So for inland canals it should be fairly inexpensive from what I understand especially for a little 15ft fibreglass boat.

Anyways, would love to get to know some of you. Please do get in touch if you'd like to have a chat.

Cheers,

Jonathan 

I guess that during your research you have found that in addition to Insurance you need to have a Boat Safety Certificate (Like an MOT inspection), and a Boat Canal Licence.

Despite many years of 'Lumpy Water' boating I wouldn't be even tempted to take a Cara Cruiser on the Sea.

Its a 'fun thing' but a seaworthy boat it isn't, use it and enjoy it on the canals where you will be safe.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Despite many years of 'Lumpy Water' boating I wouldn't be even tempted to take a Cara Cruiser on the Sea.

Its a 'fun thing' but a seaworthy boat it isn't, use it and enjoy it on the canals where you will be safe.

Absolutely!

Welcome to the forum jon.h.

Caracruisers are brilliant things with cavernous space for such a small boat but they are totally unsuitable for the coast. Fantastic for the canal, where you will get a lot of enjoyment and safely learn some boating basics.

If you then fancy the coast, it's second boat time!

As others have said, please don't think about coastal cruising in this boat. It is totally unsuitable,  and the fitting of an echo sounder will not make a scrap of difference.    Enjoy your boat on the safety of the inland waterways and when you think you may fancy exploring further afield look around for a more suitable boat which is at least designed for the purpose. 

Howard

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Try Craftinsure online.  They will require a recent survey on an older boat, and a Caracruiser is likely to be!

Pictures please, many of us like unusual watercraft.

Thanks for the recommendation, I tried but have to wait for them to call me. Here's some pics :)

IMG_20200624_2047106_compress84.jpg

IMG_20200624_2047042_compress85.jpg

IMG_20200623_1921519_compress8.jpg

IMG_20200624_2046410_compress13.jpg

IMG_20200623_1921519_compress26.jpg

• Greenie 2