Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sam

Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Featured Posts

On 29/11/2019 at 23:07, bertiebasset said:

Hi again 4-50. I was asking if you are a CC'er or not. I realise the requirement for CC'ing is to keep moving. What I was asking was: Is it acceptable to move on a daily basis but only for a couple of hours whilst the ice has thawed on the boat's deck to maintain ones own safety.

I would have thought the cut comes to a virtual standstill if the temperature is below freezing for a period of time as I would not wish to become an ice breaker,,, also would not want the ice floe to be knocking on the hull of my boat.

If through the rest of the year your cruising pattern clearly exceeds the minimum, then you are not going to get much grief from CRT if a big freeze means neither you nor anybody else can move. But if you hang around in one smallish area and claim that you now can't move because of ice when others are able to do so, then you can expect some attention from CRT. Basically if you obey the spirit, as well as the letter, of the CC requirements and don't take the p*ss you will be fine.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

If through the rest of the year your cruising pattern clearly exceeds the minimum, then you are not going to get much grief from CRT if a big freeze means neither you nor anybody else can move. But if you hang around in one smallish area and claim that you now can't move because of ice when others are able to do so, then you can expect some attention from CRT. Basically if you obey the spirit, as well as the letter, of the CC requirements and don't take the p*ss you will be fine.

Thanks David. this is the way I had read their criteria. I am still trying to convince SWMBO that it is a good idea but she values her land base so may have to do this alone with occasional visits from her. But I would intend to keep on the move as much as possible.

There are a lot of places from which you could commute for a day into central London, some of them along the Grand Union, particularly the lower end of it in west London, so hang on to that dream chilli, it's kind of possible! For example, you could look around in the Midlands for a bargain boat that suits your needs, which you feel capable of buying and getting into shape, then slowly approach London in it.

Do plan carefully. It'll be a learning curve, but could turn out well for you.

Thanks for the reply @Peter X :)

Sounds good! Yeah, I'll build up a plan before diving in. I'm thinking of around March as a target to get afloat. I imagine that boat prices go up a bit in summer as the nice weather come around? 

On 19/10/2019 at 19:48, ditchcrawler said:

Because I have seen more and more boaters doing it, so I am sure new boaters will see it as well

DSCF3132small.jpg

Hi all!

I'm a 31 y/o female, living in London. Completely new to boating, but looking to find her first home afloat by Spring 2020. 

Anyone in the community looking to connect to discuss all things boat?? :)

On 07/12/2019 at 14:37, Phoenix88 said:

Hi all!

I'm a 31 y/o female, living in London. Completely new to boating, but looking to find her first home afloat by Spring 2020. 

Anyone in the community looking to connect to discuss all things boat?? :)

I believe there is a London boaters group [might be fb] which you should also join.

Apollo Duck is a good site, private and broker sales.

I would suggest you look at ABNB and Rugby Boats which often have good boats.

Can you give us an idea of your budget, and where you intend to keep it ....

There is a huge amount of info on here, and some "off the wall" comments.