Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi Everyone, :)

My name is Graham and I'm new to boating. I intend to buy my own narrowboat in July, as soon as my divorce settlement allows me to access my own money. I should say a big thank you to my ex-wife for divorcing me (for a younger model) and giving me the golden opportunity to do what I want....at long last. I shall live aboard permanently and be a continual cruiser, with my collie, Meg.

Many thanks for an exceptionally good website.

regards,

Graham.

Good for you mate.

Welcome to the clan.

Let us know how your search for a boat is going !

Mark

Hi Everyone, :)

My name is Graham and I'm new to boating. I intend to buy my own narrowboat in July, as soon as my divorce settlement allows me to access my own money. I should say a big thank you to my ex-wife for divorcing me (for a younger model) and giving me the golden opportunity to do what I want....at long last. I shall live aboard permanently and be a continual cruiser, with my collie, Meg.

Many thanks for an exceptionally good website.

regards,

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am new to Owning a narrow boat (this week end)

as you can see the boat is called Mr Jake My real name is Dick.

Please use either..

Hope to meet you all either on the water or on here

As the boat needs some TLC I will be asking some dumb questions I think.

Best regards

dick aka Mr Jake

• 1 month later...

Hello My names Ian and my wifes Heather we are just about to purchase a Narrow or Widebeam boat as a second home to our Spanish home

We hope to be aboard in the summer and in Spain in the winter.

Found this fantastic helpful forum and were trying to learn as much as we can.... (up to now we know theres a point at one end of a boat and the other ends blunt soooo.... we`ll probably take a course if we decide to travel in it.

We are looking forward to meeting likeminded folk who love the idea of living on a boat.

Keep up the good work on this helpful site Thanks and nice to meet you all.

Are you a newbie to boating?

No, but I'm new to European canals.

Well introduce your selves right here!!

OK, I'm Brian Godfrey. As with other things in my life, my boating experience is varied and unspecialized. Jack of all trades and master of none. I've rowed (sculls - for many years), sailed (in a small boat my friend and I built, on some plastic boats, and on the schooner Adventuress out of Seattle, Washington, in the US), canoed, lived in a floating home in Portland, Oregon, US, owned a heavy duty aluminum jet boat (for salmon fishing) and worked on a tugboat in the Aleutian Islands for 1.5 years (while in the Navy.)

I am currently land-locked, though I will start sailing the small sailboat again once I have done some re-finishing.

A while ago I casually mentioned to my wife "maybe we should buy a barge and cruise the canals in Europe for a couple of years." To my everlasting surprise and delight she said "that's the best idea you've had in a long time." I have been busy every since.

It turns out that she was serious. She likes boats, but it's not an illness like it is with me. But she really likes touring rural Europe and she really likes the idea of doing it at 4 miles per hour. She has been in one high pressure job after another for too many years. The end of the road is (distantly) in sight and she wants to go out and do something totally fun and relaxing before going into retirement. That means I'll have most of the responsibility for the boat, but that's OK with me. I feel really lucky and we're not even there yet.

There is a lot to do before we are ready to really go for it. We need to get our house fixed up and sold. We also need to get our business in order for a hired manager or to sell. After that, we'll need to find a boat and cast off the lines... In the meantime, I will be asking lots of questions in my weird American dialect. Please have patience with me and I will one day pass on what I learn to someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The Name's Roger and I reside in Tiptree

I'll be Taking my first Holiday for thirty years on the 19 June

Hireing from a marina in Whitchurch, Yellow boats, and will be going through to Llangollen.

Will be crewing with an old Army Pal, we met in the 60's, and his Wife. also my Sister. My Sister recons she will be sitting on the floor in the middle of the boat when we go airborne over the viaduct.

I wouldnt say I,m looking forward to it, but most of my packing is already done.

Roger

Hi Roger and welcome. I am sure the reality of your holiday will live up to your expectations and I hope you can induce your sister to at least risk a brief peek out of a window as you pass over one of the wonders of the industrial revolution.

It has been up there for 200 years so statistically it is not likely do anything silly whilst you are passing over it.

Some people get a bit snooty about the Llangollen but as you are probably already aware you will be passing through some of the nicest countryside in Britain.

I am sure that several people here will be giving you tips about where to stop and visit. Don't forget to let us know how you got on.

Hi,

I`m Sumo (Sue really) and really hooked on narrowboats and canals.

Have had many such holidays in the past with ex-partner. Miss them much more than the Ex! These forums are my way to get a Canal fix (sad!) as I don`t live anywhere near the canal system. Love reading the various messages.

Hi,

I'm David Bridle, and my wife Ann and I are very new to narrowboating. We have sailed dinghies (and the occasional yacht) for decades but this is our first season on the cut.

We ordered our new Leisure Quester from Ken Yates Marine in Northampton (42'6", Cruiser Stern, Beta 38, Alde CH) in October last year, and she was launched, on time, in March. She's called "Rallentando" and there is a picture posted in the galleries. We have been very pleased so far with our purchase. Only problem on the snagging list was a weeping stern gland which we fixed having read all the helpful posts on this here on Canal World.

Speaking of CW I am delighted to have found this resource. I have been lurking here since last autumn and have found almost every question we ran into over the boat answered here. Internal layouts, bed extensions (I'm 6'2"!), water filters, power inverters, choice of TV's, oil-changes, central heating choices and, and, and!

It was all covered, and with lots of useful opinions, thank you all very much.

I've also enjoyed the obvious "family" feel to this site, with special welcome from "Maffi" - thanks Maffi, and the regular banter in the virtual bar. I hope we can all support the site staff in their recent problems over moderation etc. It would be a dreadful shame to lose this fabulous facility.

So, why have we stopped lurking - well we are now out boating more often. We have a mooring at Cowroast Marina and we intend to be at Blisworth for the bi-centenary celebrations (we sent in our applications the same week we ordered the boat) and hope we might see some of you there

If you see us please say hello, and make allowances for our beginner's mistakes.

Thanks again

Regards

David and Ann Bridle

PS Rallentando is an Italian musical term meaning slowing down gradually. There are several others on the system, but it's especially relevant to us since I own a music shop and I am approaching that certain age!

WELCOME ABOARD, both of you!

- Hope you enjoy this place and find it as usfull as i do.

With special welcome from "Maffi" - thanks Maffi,

Out of curousitly, did hi include the bit about the spell checker? (an in joke)

Daniel

Dan

I diplomatically can't remember about the spell-checker and maffi's welcome e-mail.

I can remember, however, that I always enjoy your posts - no matter how they are spelt, and that Emily Anne and the web site are excellent.

Regards

David B

Just so there is no mis-understandind this is the welcome message that I have sent to the last 300+ new members. The last paragraph was added I think some time in April and the brackets after it was commented on by a recent new member last month.

Hello

Welcome to the Canal World Forum

We are by and all a mixed bunch of boaters from "I don't have one yet" (me) all the way through to "I've had several" and all points in between. We have some boatbuilders on the forum as well as people from BW.

There's a nice community feel (most of the time) and plenty of virtual booze in the pub.

Enjoy!

Maffi

PS If it is any help you can download a spell checker from HERE This sits in your IE tool bar and can be used to check emails, posts or any other place that you write on the web.(No offence intended)

Hi Sumo!

Wlecome :lol:

Get post old chap - not much is happening at the mo!

(and are you sure you don't where a big nappy :blush::lol: - only kidding)

Edited by Sam

Maffi,

I personally think it is very nice of you to wlecome the members in such a way!

Keep up the good work old chap!

Sam

Old chap!

Not a good choice of words, Sam.

Old is a state of mind, whilst my mind might be in a state old is certainly not a word I associate with myself.