Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have a Landlords Certificate for the bungalow I rent out, I don't think it would be very applicable to a boat.  I think we also need to be careful when talking of what is required and what is best practice/good idea etc.

C&RT state that a hire boat is required to have a 'Gas safe Certificate' it is not a case of good practice / good idea.

We have gas certificates for caravans (I suppose they are similar to boats) and basically it consists of then checking that 'whatever gas system there is installed', is safe and compliant with the GSIUR regs.

If, for example, it was an all-electric boat I'm sure a gas-certificate would not be either applicable or required and, like the BSS, they can only test what the boat is fitted with.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT state that a hire boat is required to have a 'Gas safe Certificate' it is not a case of good practice / good idea.

We have gas certificates for caravans (I suppose they are similar to boats) and basically it consists of then checking that 'whatever gas system there is installed', is safe and compliant with the GSIUR regs.

If, for example, it was an all-electric boat I'm sure a gas-certificate would not be either applicable or required and, like the BSS, they can only test what the boat is fitted with.

But that is not a "Landlords Certificate"

The requirement is imposed under the 

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 which don't use the terms "Landlord's Certificate" or "Gas Safety Certificate". What the regs actually require is that a "record" of safety checks is maintained:

(2) Every landlord shall ensure that there is maintained in a safe condition—

(a)any relevant gas fitting; and

(b)any flue which serves any relevant gas fitting,

so as to prevent the risk of injury to any person in lawful occupation or relevant premises.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (2) above, a landlord shall—

(a)ensure that each appliance and flue to which that duty extends is checked for safety within 12 months of being installed and at intervals of not more than 12 months since it was last checked for safety (whether such check was made pursuant to these Regulations or not);

(b)in the case of a lease commencing after the coming into force of these Regulations, ensure that each appliance and flue to which the duty extends has been checked for safety within a period of 12 months before the lease commences or has been or is so checked within 12 months after the appliance or flue has been installed, whichever is later; and

(c)ensure that a record in respect of any appliance or flue so checked is made and retained for a period of 2 years from the date of that check, which record shall include the following information—

(i)the date on which the appliance or flue was checked;

(ii)the address of the premises at which the appliance or flue is installed;

(iii)the name and address of the landlord of the premises (or, where appropriate, his agent) at which the appliance or flue is installed;

(iv)a description of and the location of each appliance or flue checked;

(v)any defect identified;

(vi)any remedial action taken;

(vii)confirmation that the check undertaken complies with the requirements of paragraph (9) below;

(viii)the name and signature of the individual carrying out the check; and

(ix)the registration number with which that individual, or his employer, is registered with a body approved by the Executive for the purposes of regulation 3(3) of these Regulations.

Landlords - What are your gas safety responsibilities? - Gas Safe Register

What are your landlord responsibilities for gas safety?

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 outline your duties as a landlord to make sure all gas appliances, fittings, chimneys and flues are safe and working efficiently. If you’re letting a property with gas appliances installed, you’ve got three main legal responsibilities:

1. Gas safety checks

To ensure your tenants’ safety, all gas appliances and flues need to undergo an annual gas safety check - and always by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Once this has been done, you’ll be given a Landlord Gas Safety Record or Gas Safety certificate with details of all the checks that were carried out. It can also be referred to as a CP12 certificate.

You can arrange for a gas safety check to be carried out any time from 10-12 months after the last check, without affecting the original check expiry date. If it’s less than 10 or more than 12 months after the last check, you’ll end up with a new deadline date - 12 months from the most recent check.

Appliances owned by your tenants aren’t your responsibility - although it’s still up to you to ensure the safety of any connecting flues, unless they’re solely connected to the tenants’ appliance.

2. Gas Safety Record

Following the annual gas safety check and receipt of your Landlord Gas Safety Record, you’ll need to provide a record of this check to your tenants. By law, a copy of your Landlord Gas Safety Record should be given to your current tenants within 28 days of the gas safety check - and for new tenants, you’ll need to provide this at the start of their tenancy.

For rental periods of less than 28 days, just make sure you’ve clearly displayed a copy of your record within the property. You’ll need to keep copies of this gas safety check record until a further two checks have been carried out..

3. Maintenance

You’ll need to make sure that all gas pipework, appliances, chimneys and flues are kept in safe condition. Check the gas appliances’ manufacturer guidelines to find out how often a service is recommended. If you haven’t got access to these, we’d recommend an annual service - unless your Gas Safe registered engineer suggests otherwise.

Installation pipework isn’t covered by the annual gas safety check, but both we and the HSE recommend that when you request a safety check, you ask your Gas Safe registered engineer to:

• Test for tightness on the whole gas system, including installation pipework
  • Visually examine the pipework (so far as is reasonably practicable)

There are no formal requirements for you to keep maintenance records, but you’ll need to be able to show that you have regularly maintained the pipework, appliances and flues and completed required repairs.

9 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Just to point out that, although not in Lincolnshire as far as I know, the OP may find the Nene or Middle Levels to be close enough.

We live in Lincoln but moor our boat in Newark (half an hour away) because we like the convenience of being on the Trent.

On 25/10/2021 at 10:33, vmax666 said:

Thanks for the replies

renting out was just a thought so not so import 

What other areas are good for renting to get a good idea of the network

i have no intention to venture out to sea and mooring can realistically be anywhere not to far away as long as I can park a car while I am using the boat

This map give the scope of the main inland waterways.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190922190727/http://jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm

Bod