Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

The address is Lock marina,Upware,Cambs. near Wicken close to the Five Mile from Anywhere Pub. This is the address the seller gave me. Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am a bit weary about this boat, it was for sale last year but did not sell, it's dated 1970 and seems quite cheap for just under £8000. It's 27ft.

How much does one think it will cost to get the boat out of water to be surveyed?

Kirsty ... I suggest you put a post in General Boating section with details about the boat, where it is and your questions about survey and cost and recommendations in your area. Or do it here in the New to Boating Section.

Point is to start a new topic of your own such as "Is This a Good First Boat for Me". Then everyone will see it. This section is usually just checked so that we can say "Hello" to newcomers; use the General Boating thread and you'll probably get more answers than you know what to do with!!

Oh ..... and ...... Hello :cheers: Welcome!

Edited by Jo_

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I'm that new to all this I don't even have a boat yet.

I'm looking forward to reading through the posts and get as much help and info as I can. What I can't find I'll as you good people for.

looking forward to a natter with you.

Cheers for now.

Vik

• 2 weeks later...

Hello :)

We are new to boating but have decided to try living on the GU for 6-24 months. We have viewed many boats and are awaiting a survey on one at Whilton Marina. Should the boat be sound then we will let our house and live aboard.

We will be looking for moorings somewhere between Milton Keynes and Tring at least over the winter then cruise next year when we have more experience.

I will try and find answers to my questions on the forums before asking, but from experience sometimes it is better to ask your own question than adapt the answer from elsewhere :)

Please go easy on me :)

David

I will try and find answers to my questions on the forums before asking, but from experience sometimes it is better to ask your own question than adapt the answer from elsewhere :)

Please go easy on me :)

Welcome to the forum, David!

I'm sure some of the questions I've asked over the last year have seemed a bit naive/stupid to the experienced folk on here, but I've always been treated fairly and gotten some excellent advice.

Good luck with the survey! :cheers:

Welcome to the forum, David!

I'm sure some of the questions I've asked over the last year have seemed a bit naive/stupid to the experienced folk on here, but I've always been treated fairly and gotten some excellent advice.

Good luck with the survey! :cheers:

Thanks Cl@rkey :) So much to think about but the first question is where to moor the darn thing (assuming we buy it) :)

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi I have just bought my boat. I am taking it down to London from Leicestershire. I will be living on the boat in a Marina.

Everything is ok EXCEPT I have yet to fully figure out the electrics. I have a landline, a battery charger and an inverter.

I also have a control dial whihc reads 0 1 2 3 4 - I know 1 is for the landline not yet sure what the others are for any ideas?

I have been putting the battery charger on while I have been connected to the landline. I have not used the inverter yet.

Boat needs some TLC and painting. I thinkI will be using this forum quite a lot with lots of questions.

cheers!

Hi all

Am not new to boating but intend to be new to "canal"ing in 2 years time when I retire or get made redundant - whichever comes first. Currently have boat in pic with twin 425hp engines and quite capable of emptying its 1000Ltr tanks in a day - what a pleasure it will be to potter along at 4 knots in peace and quiet using next to no fuel at all. Looking forward to being an inland CC'er

Regards to all

Martin & Karen

Brighton Marina(at the moment)

Hi I have just bought my boat. I am taking it down to London from Leicestershire. I will be living on the boat in a Marina.

Everything is ok EXCEPT I have yet to fully figure out the electrics. I have a landline, a battery charger and an inverter.

I also have a control dial whihc reads 0 1 2 3 4 - I know 1 is for the landline not yet sure what the others are for any ideas?

I have been putting the battery charger on while I have been connected to the landline. I have not used the inverter yet.

Boat needs some TLC and painting. I thinkI will be using this forum quite a lot with lots of questions.

cheers!

Welcome Mike! This is meant to be just an 'Introduce Yourself' section. I would re-post your question as a new topic in 'New To Boating', so that more will see it. Of course, if I knew the answer myself, I'd tell you - but I'm just a newbie too!

Good luck! :cheers:

Hi all

Am not new to boating but intend to be new to "canal"ing in 2 years time when I retire or get made redundant - whichever comes first. Currently have boat in pic with twin 425hp engines and quite capable of emptying its 1000Ltr tanks in a day - what a pleasure it will be to potter along at 4 knots in peace and quiet using next to no fuel at all. Looking forward to being an inland CC'er

Regards to all

Martin & Karen

Brighton Marina(at the moment)

Welcome along, Martin & Karen. :cheers:

I'm sure you'll love the CC way of life! Soak up as much info as you can on here - it may help you avoid some of the common pitfalls.

I wish I was about to retire! Oh well, only another 20 years to go (assuming the retirement age hasn't gone up - which it undoubtedly will, of course!) :angry:

Morning! Although not my first post on here, I am a a bit of a newbie - multiple boating holidays, and soon to be buying our first boat and venturing onto the water full time. I've found loads of very useful advice, but I'm sure as we get closer to buying our first boat, I'll be asking stupid questions on a daily basis. I do promise to avoid any questions about toilets without reading all the threads I can find first ;)

Im new im new! Im a 37 year old male looking for a good time, oops, wrong website! Ive posted a few questions already but basically ill soon be looking for a 45+ft cruiser stern to live on the lancaster canal. Im looking forward to it, still plenty of homework to do though, so standby for some tedious questions folks!

Hi all, completely new to all this, no boat as yet but have an offer in subject to survey, so hoping to be on the water very soon indeed. Just found and joined this site and keen and excited to be able to learn from the rest of you and hopefully get to know a few of you at least. Me and my partner James will be moored at Keynsham and I'm sure we'll be posting loads of questions soon.

Welcome to a milder version of the madhouse, Alanji!

Seriously, you won't find a better place to ask questions than on here, so don't be afraid your question might be seem obvious or too basic for the rest of us, just ask it. You'll find boaters love to pass on their experience to newbies.

Enjoy & grab as much info from us as you can handle.

1263351733.CR-DrDeisel-WELCOME.gif

Edited by Spuds

Thanks Spuds. Just booked a weeks hire from Hilperton on the Kennet & Avon for the 30 Sept to give it a try, so I guess you should all stay well clear :unsure: Not been on a narrow boat before but have done a fair bit of cruising over the years - Bit of Grand Union, Thames 3 times, Broads 3 times and the highlight being the Great Glen - in good weather!

Edited by Alanji

Hi everyone!

My name's Phil and I'm poised on the brink of purchasing a narrowboat with the intention of taking a year off and go continuous cruising on the canal network with my dog. Haven't pinpointed the exact boat I will be making the plunge with, so may be looking for pointers on specific items from the members here as I have little experience in this area.

Been cruising the canals a few times but will undoubtedly be looking for lots of advice before I venture out for real, hopefully next spring.

Thanks

Phil

Thanks Spuds. Just booked a weeks hire from Hilperton on the Kennet & Avon for the 30 Sept to give it a try, so I guess you should all stay well clear :unsure: Not been on a narrow boat before but have done a fair bit of cruising over the years - Bit of Grand Union, Thames 3 times, Broads 3 times and the highlight being the Great Glen - in good weather!

Thats definately a very sensible idea, if only to see how you get on with it. With that kind of thinking, you'll have no problem adapting to our wonderful canal world. Good on yer.

misc-thumbup.gif

Edited by Spuds

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Boathunter here - that's a bit of a giveaway!

Yes, you guessed right, I know very little about narrowboats except that they look small and cosy. :rolleyes: Ok I'm not quite that green and luckily I have a friend who knows a lot and is trying to guide me in my search. I also have another good friend who's letting me rent a canalside plot for a bean which is lucky to say the least.

I'm a bloke getting divorced from my naughty wife. :D I tried to persuade her we should live on a boat 25 years ago but she said the kiddywinks would fall in and drown so it never happened. You can't win against that kind of view so I've been stuck in a house but now I can do what I want. :)

It's not just me - I have a 21 year old son along for the ride. It's proving difficult to find a boat with enough privacy for both of us and I'm limited to 60ft, so I'll be asking stupid questions on here for a while I'm guessing.

Enough info for this thread I think.

See you around. :)

Hi - I am new to boating and the proud owner of an old 35-foot NB called Daisy Mutlar. Last week she got me single-handing from Braunston down to Cowroast in under 5 days (the time I could get off work) - in retrospect a foolhardy enterprise that I couldn't have done without the help of all the extraordinarily kind and welcoming boaters and lock-keepers I encountered on the way. And the little boat didn't let me down once - everything worked! Even before buying her I found these forums incredibly helpful - and I hope to be able to contribute when I know a bit more.

Hi - I am new to boating and the proud owner of an old 35-foot NB called Daisy Mutlar. Last week she got me single-handing from Braunston down to Cowroast in under 5 days (the time I could get off work) - in retrospect a foolhardy enterprise that I couldn't have done without the help of all the extraordinarily kind and welcoming boaters and lock-keepers I encountered on the way. And the little boat didn't let me down once - everything worked! Even before buying her I found these forums incredibly helpful - and I hope to be able to contribute when I know a bit more.

Welcome,

I used to live near Wendover and started school at the CofE School near the clock tower. (1954/59)

Am moored at Cowroast - if you need any help give me a shout (you will have to do a few more posts before you can send PM's)

Best of Luck with the boat.

Leo.

Greetings everyone.

Whilst new to narrowboats I have sailed for many years on the lumpy stuff. Have subscribed to Waterways World for a couple of years and have been lurking here for some time reading posts in that all important quest for knowledge. Unfortunately as I live in Northern Ireland ownership will have to wait till the daughter legs it to university in two years time but hopefully after that we intend to do some long term cruising getting to know the waterways over your way.

Take care