Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

hi all its been a year since i registered and bought my first boat.Finally put it on the water 2 months ago after re fitting the boat.A lot of work and it has paid off.Delighted to be a float.I have no doubt i will have plenty of questions to be answered.Look forward to hear from you all.By the way the boat is a 27ft creighton cruiser, anyone out there known much about this make of boat?thanks

Edited by robbio c

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody!

My name is Michael from Sweden. I and my wife Annikka visited UK with our motorhome for four weeks vacation in August/September this year. As we parked several times by the canals we had a good look at canallife and really enjoyed it. It started a process in our minds and now we have started to plan for a live abord NB in a couple of years when we retire. Qustion is how you folks would think seeing a sedish flagged NB on your waterways?

So far we have made a few scetches of different plans starting with a 58 ft long. We found it to be too short for us as a live abord so now we have extended to full 70 ft. As planning progresses I will most likely bore you all with loads of stupid questions. Be aware!

//Michael

Hello everybody!

My name is Michael from Sweden. I and my wife Annikka visited UK with our motorhome for four weeks vacation in August/September this year. As we parked several times by the canals we had a good look at canallife and really enjoyed it. It started a process in our minds and now we have started to plan for a live abord NB in a couple of years when we retire. Qustion is how you folks would think seeing a sedish flagged NB on your waterways?

So far we have made a few scetches of different plans starting with a 58 ft long. We found it to be too short for us as a live abord so now we have extended to full 70 ft. As planning progresses I will most likely bore you all with loads of stupid questions. Be aware!

//Michael

I you go as far as 70' you will not be able to do the northern canals except for the Rochdale and Huddersfield Narrow. Theodora is 60' and we managed all of the northern canals including Salterhebble lock (with extreme care :mellow: )

Nick

Hello!

I have studied the Waterway Dimensions[1].pdf from BW and I think we can live with the fact that we can´t go on the entire system. If all goes as planned and we chash in all we have here in Seden and moves to a NB to live abord we probably need the space. It will anyhow be a big difference to move frome a house of about 260 sqmeters plus a motorhome into a boat of aproximately 30 sqmeters.

At present we plan for a boat with, from the rear: office 2meters, bedroom 2.5m, bathroom 1.4m, dinette/guestroom 2m, kitchen 3.3m and salon 5.2m. As I am 191cm (6ft 4in) tall I will aim for a boat with very thick bottom plate to make ballast more or less unnecessary thus giving more headroom inside.

Edited by Michael Johansson

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Our names are Sandra & Mike/Mick

We're new to boating and like many others it's something we've dreamed of for a long time and can now finally afford to do!

We've just bought a 57' NB and hope to complete on it in about 10 days time.

I've followed this site for quite a while now and have gleaned much information which has helped our decision on what to buy.

Hopefully we can contribute ourselves in the future.

Mick

Hi

We're new to boating and like many others it's something we've dreamed of for a long time and can now finally afford to do!

I've followed this site for quite a while now and have gleaned much information which has helped our decision on what to buy.

Mick

Hi

Welcome to the site, good luck with your boat and enjoy.

Ask as many questions as you like, there is wealth of boating knowledge on this site.

Dont hesitate to ask 'daft' questions, there are many others not brave enough and nobody knows it all.

Alex

Hi

Mick

Welcome to the forum Sandra & Mick

As Alex says feel free to ask away - it's a steep learning curve that we're still undergoing and the first bit is the steepest point. There's a wealth of knowledge here at your fingertips.

Enjoy your boating!

BTW whereabouts are you based? You'll probably hook up with some fellow forum members personally if you give a little bit more info in your profile, like where your mooring is.

:)

Welcome to the forum Sandra & Mick

As Alex says feel free to ask away - it's a steep learning curve that we're still undergoing and the first bit is the steepest point. There's a wealth of knowledge here at your fingertips.

Enjoy your boating!

BTW whereabouts are you based? You'll probably hook up with some fellow forum members personally if you give a little bit more info in your profile, like where your mooring is.

:)

Thanks For the welcome

We'll be moored at Blisworth Marina.

Mick

Hi my name is Patrick (Pat) and although I'm not actually new to boating (used to holiday every year as a child boating),I'm new to narrowboats. I had a motorcycle accident a few years ago which left me paralysed in my R.arm, I always dreamed of living on and owning a narrowboat & last year after a few weeks holiday on one decided to buy. I'm now the very proud owner of a 58' Ex Black Prince boat built 2005, Duchess 3 Cruiser model. Ive changed her name to 'Caberfeidh'.

My wife wasn't to happy with the idea of boating but, after holidaying a few times on BCN & Worcester & Birm, she has changed her mind. (Phew) :captain: anyway the idea now is getting her to agree to Liveaboard???. I would be grateful to any and all tips & hints on living aboard and narrowboating in general.The Boat is moored still at Stoke Prior, and I'm looking forward (after electrics fitted and a new signwritting) to some REALLY Long Cruising in 2011. I'm hoping to gain some movement in my R.Arm after surgery & have an engineer standing by to move the Gears to the starboard side if not.Many thanks to the owner of n.b Creedence of Clearwater for his help and advice at Diglis Basin to turn around due to stoppages in R. Severn. I've really met some reat people on the cut & only once thought of giving up when the tiller was wrenched out of my weak arm due to strong wind and I accidently bumped into a moored boat(sorry mate, maybe now you understand, & won't burst anymore blood vessels shouting at newbies).I'm eh whisper...50yrs old and if you see me out there on the waterways drop in for a cuppa or something stronger. I'll be glad of your knowledge & advice. :cheers: Pat.

• 4 weeks later...

hullo. im fred (ian).

i keep having these dreams that i want to live a pastoral existence in the sanctity of a narrowboat. to indulge in the solace, travel and observations of both nature and time.

i keep thinking about it, then going back to the rat race, then thinking about it again.

obviously, im back to thinking about it.

i have just about enough to buy a boat and have a job where i can work from a laptop, so i should really do it.

im 40 !!!!!

aieeeeeeeee.........

I'm 43, and also have a job working from a laptop. Just bought an old boat, and spending the winter preparing it for a liveaboard experience...including wife, 3kids and father in law. It's a 57ft narrowboat, with a boatmans cabin seperated from the rest by an engine room...so the layout should work :) If I was you, I would hurry up and go for it. Not much to lose...I'm sure you'll be able to sell your boat again if you decide you hate it. :)

Hi sam

We are Craig and Diana AKA the linnys, weve been looking into a liveaboard throughout this year as we have both our houses on the market, fortunatly we have movement on both properties and the time is nearing that we shall soon be intensifying our search for the boat that ticks all the boxes. As i said we have viewed and tried several boats throughout this year and narrowed our search to a mere handful of choices, this has been a difficult time as we have a teenage daughter to think about that will be aboard with us and so we have been looking for a permanent bedroom for her as well as ours. On that note i am looking at finding out what is the best solution to have access to the internet on a mobile basis as the marina we have secured a mooring at does'nt have wi-fi. Any suggestions would be great. Looking forward to joining the many happy people onto the canal network. More to follow as i shall post our progress and im sure there will be many more questions to come.

Hi Craig and Diana...

We got a system called MiFi from 3 Mobile...which lets you share up to 5 computers...and connects you to the web via a mobile signal..right from your boat, into the clouds (no marina needed. :) We also have kids onboard, so it isnt possible to give them all bedrooms... instead we've made sure that during the day, every room can be multi-purposed. That way, hopefully, bodies can find a new spot to chill in. My experience in a house, is that teenagers sit in 1 place all day anyway (in front of a PC).

Hi

Mick

Hi Sandra and Mike/Mick :)

Congrats on your new boat. I have a 57ft older boat, but I think this piece of info applies to all. At some point, condensation gets under your floorboards, and builds up...and up.... so make sure you have a little hole somewhere, that you can stick the end of a water vac...that lets you suck it out. :) Typically towards the back of the boat, where water runs too via gravity.

hi all its been a year since i registered and bought my first boat.Finally put it on the water 2 months ago after re fitting the boat.A lot of work and it has paid off.Delighted to be a float.I have no doubt i will have plenty of questions to be answered.Look forward to hear from you all.By the way the boat is a 27ft creighton cruiser, anyone out there known much about this make of boat?thanks

You haven't got any questions yet, and you're in the water...thats GOOD going..hehe...I'm only cruising in March next year, and I have posted about 50 questions already..(I really need to stop asking so many :))))

Hello, my name is John and I'm a "Noob". LOL

I have a question, (just one? LOL,) before I buy my First "Live-Aboard". (57' Semi-Trad.)

To set the scene;

I'm a competent "tradesman" in Electrics/Electronics, Plumbing, Carpentry, ETC.

1/. Shell, Sail-away, or 2nd hand/failed project?

I want a Vintage engine with a "Jerk Pump" so I can take advantage of "Free Fuel".

Large hot water tank fed by back boilers on the Cooker/Stove.

Large "Fresh Water" tank, (enough for one shower a day for 7 days and normal cooking water use)

12Volt LED Lighting throughout. 12 Volt systems wherever possible, (I will do all the wiring myself.)

I know these points may have been covered in other threads/posts but having spent the day looking through them all I find that most of the answers should be in "Chat" and not as answers to a Thread/Post.

Happy Christmas all.

John

Oh, I forgot; Is it really unlucky to rename a Boat?

Hello, my name is John and I'm a "Noob". LOL

I have a question, (just one? LOL,) before I buy my First "Live-Aboard". (57' Semi-Trad.)

To set the scene;

I'm a competent "tradesman" in Electrics/Electronics, Plumbing, Carpentry, ETC.

1/. Shell, Sail-away, or 2nd hand/failed project?

I want a Vintage engine with a "Jerk Pump" so I can take advantage of "Free Fuel".

Large hot water tank fed by back boilers on the Cooker/Stove.

Large "Fresh Water" tank, (enough for one shower a day for 7 days and normal cooking water use)

12Volt LED Lighting throughout. 12 Volt systems wherever possible, (I will do all the wiring myself.)

I know these points may have been covered in other threads/posts but having spent the day looking through them all I find that most of the answers should be in "Chat" and not as answers to a Thread/Post.

Happy Christmas all.

John

Oh, I forgot; Is it really unlucky to rename a Boat?

Hi John and welcome to the forum

You'll get more answers to your question if you post it as a new thread - this one is generally only used to say hello and doesn't necessarily get read by all the knowledgeable folk.

Good luck :)

Hi all,

Typical noob, I started a new thread to introduce myself when I should have posted in here. :rolleyes:

I've just bought a 42' cruiser NB called Tortoise, currently on winter moorings at GU Batchworth. It needs a few weeks of finishing inside but is fully functional for cruising and liveaboard - I just need the weather to improve! I've been reading these forums for a couple of weeks and am impressed by the level of expertise, helpfulness and humour shown by you lot. I think that I will need plenty of all three when the work (and play) starts in earnest in the new year!

Cheers,

Willber

PS - Does anyone know anything about this boat? It was built in 1986 and done up by the previous owner.

PPS - Can I upload pictures here direct from my PC or do I need to use Photobucket or somesuch?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I'm Robbie and I'm very new to boating.

Living on a canal boat has been a dream of mine since I was in single digits. I recently purchased a very cheap old 1981 Springer that needs a LOT of work so expect to see me asking for advice!

Thanks!

Hello all!

I'm Robbie and I'm very new to boating.

Living on a canal boat has been a dream of mine since I was in single digits. I recently purchased a very cheap old 1981 Springer that needs a LOT of work so expect to see me asking for advice!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Robbie :)

There's a goldmine of knowledgeable people on here as we found when we sought and bought our first boat two years ago.

Best of luck

Ange

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everone,

Janet and I are new to narrowboats, we bought a 58ft semi trad called Bolthole 2 and we are marina'd (? or moored, or marinated or just pickled) at Braunston. We escaped the Australian sunshine (and cricket - I am a dedicated future member of the barmy army) and the kids and grandchildren 6 months ago. We took a trip on the French canals last year after I was made redundant and we really enjoyed it. Friends in England said when we started looking to buy a narrowboat just look and the right narrowboat will find you. This is what happened.

I enjoy reading this forum. The people who write in sure are a cross section of the people we have met so far on narrowboats: Lovely people and very helpful and others just can help themselves with their comments but come to the party, they're very funny.

See you out there

Owen and Janet

I am John, a complete novice who has just bought and moved onto a narrowboat. My first night on the boat was my first on any narrowboat, so I am completely raw and have a awful lot to learn, but that just adds to the appeal.

In March 2010 I returned home having cycled 37,000 miles around the world in just under 3 years, passing through 30 countries. As time passed I learned to go wherever ‘felt right’, and so often everything fell into place, I never worried about where I would stay for the night, but that’s easy when you are carrying a tent. Travelling that way I met so many wonderful people who showed incredible generosity and kindness to a complete stranger. When I returned home I vowed to try and live the same way, head in the direction that felt right. For a few months nothing much happened and I guessed in a year or two I would be off cycling again, may be from north to south through the Americas, or from Oxford overland to South Africa. In July Judith and Andre from Germany came over to the UK for a cycling tour. We originally met in Istanbul and cycled together for three months through Iran, U.A.E and India before heading our separate ways. I knew we would meet again someday. We set off from Oxford, through the Cotswolds to Bath, over the Severn Bridge to Wales and on to Snowdonia before heading back through Ludlow to finish up in Aylesbury. As we cycled we crossed canals and I told them how people lived on the boats and spent holidays afloat and what an idyllic life it must be. Before long each time we crossed a canal bridge I would point to the boats and shout out “There’s my house.” I was only joking but the day after I returned home I looked at a few boats on the internet, it had caught my imagination...it felt right, there would be no turning back.

Five months later I moved onto a narrowboat starting a new stage of my life, a new adventure. The concept suites me, I still don't want to stay in one place, but now I can just take my home with me. I have only just moved onto the boat and spent just one week there so far. I know nothing about boating so I guess I have a lot to learn...I just hope I learn fast!

Hello Everone I'm Joss i've not got a boat yet so i'll be asking loads of questions , i have fount out i have some friends on here from the Sleaford area and one from Gloucester . i just need a kick up the a***s to get me in gear to get myself a boat i can live in . :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ange & welcome to the mad house.

Can we assume that you are going to re name your boat soon?

Tony

Thanks and yes must rename it soon, i keep referring to it as "the boat".... maybe that should be it's new name?

probably not i'll think of something!