Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

There are a lot of places from which you could commute for a day into central London, some of them along the Grand Union, particularly the lower end of it in west London, so hang on to that dream chilli, it's kind of possible! For example, you could look around in the Midlands for a bargain boat that suits your needs, which you feel capable of buying and getting into shape, then slowly approach London in it.

Do plan carefully. It'll be a learning curve, but could turn out well for you.

On 07/12/2019 at 14:37, Phoenix88 said:

Hi all!

I'm a 31 y/o female, living in London. Completely new to boating, but looking to find her first home afloat by Spring 2020. 

Anyone in the community looking to connect to discuss all things boat?? :)

I believe there is a London boaters group [might be fb] which you should also join.

Apollo Duck is a good site, private and broker sales.

I would suggest you look at ABNB and Rugby Boats which often have good boats.

Can you give us an idea of your budget, and where you intend to keep it ....

There is a huge amount of info on here, and some "off the wall" comments.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Not new to boating but fairly new to narrow boating.

Own a fishing boat, rib, rowing boat and a couple of tenders.

Live in Cornwall by the way. 

Need a base near London then intend to cruise a bit so later this year will be looking for 57foot ish one.

Lots of questions but will browse the site before I start. 

Edited by Flyingchuck

1 hour ago, Flyingchuck said:

Hi Folks

Not new to boating but fairly new to narrow boating.

Own a fishing boat, rib, rowing boat and a couple of tenders.

Live in Cornwall by the way. 

Need a base near London then intend to cruise a bit so later this year will be looking for 57foot ish one.

Lots of questions but will browse the site before I start. 

How close to London do you need/want to be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2004 at 15:40, kackara said:

Hi everyone

Our names are Doreen and John and we are new to boating.

We decided to follow our dream and buy a boat,

We didn't want to look back in years to come and say "why didn't we"?.

This website is brilliant for all levels of boating from novice to advanced, and i'm so glad there are so many people out there willing to help, even us newbies.....

Thanks

Doreen :o

Me and the wife are seeking a boat but for the 20 grand budget we have it's a big gamble any advice would be greatly appreciated ??

5 minutes ago, Dean4444 said:

…….. advice would be greatly appreciated ??

Don't spend all your budget on a boat.

You will need several £1000's for surveys, moorings, maintenance, insurance etc etc and will need to maintain some "Just In Case" money in the bank. A new engine could be £3-5,000 and new gearbox £1000

This looks like (probably) the best available for around £10,000.

Don't let it slip away.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrowboat-Dawncraft-Highbridge-30ft-fibreglass/114043738347?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3D43c5cb63ae9f433689db23f8cd3220bd%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D182011126132%26itm%3D114043738347%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

Not got the 'lines' of a steel narrowboat, but not got the price tag either.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, GoingNowhereSlowly said:

Hi.  I'm Andrew, living in Woking now, and orginally from Johannesburg.  I don't have a boat, but like the idea of one, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can before taking the plunge.

Welcome and your easiest bet is to start reading the various topics on here.

13 hours ago, GoingNowhereSlowly said:

Hi.  I'm Andrew, living in Woking now, and orginally from Johannesburg.  I don't have a boat, but like the idea of one, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can before taking the plunge.

Hi Welcome, we've spent some time in Woking. Beautiful bit of canal to walk down. Done it all on foot/bike. Not yet done it on our boat as that bit of canal has restrictions.

I know Woking a bit for various reasons. I lived in Frimley Green for a year or so in the 1970s and cycled there, and my daughter and her family lived in Woking for a few years more recently, and I've been there and back by boat from the Thames once a few years ago with the NBT. 

You could I suppose look at the canal where it runs close  to the N side of the town centre, or find the nearest locks on it (where are they? I remember some between Woking and  the junction with the Wey),

and hang around there chatting to passing boaters (not many I suppose?).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2004 at 14:42, Sam said:

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi Everybody. I'm new to the world of boating and would appreciate some guidance. At some point in the near future i would like to have a wide beam built. Ca anybody recommend a good boat builder who can fit out as well.

2 minutes ago, Spoonyy said:

Hi Everybody. I'm new to the world of boating and would appreciate some guidance. At some point in the near future i would like to have a wide beam built. Ca anybody recommend a good boat builder who can fit out as well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Inland Waterways.

Your question is a bit like "I want to buy a car, what sort should I buy".

Maybe a little more about your intentions would enable you to get some sensible replies :

1) What is your budget ?

2) What size are you looking for (a Widebeam can be 8 feet, 9 feet 10 feet, even up to 14 feet wide, and anything from 30 feet to 70 feet long)

3) Where do you plan to use it ?

4) Are you going to be liveaboard or a 'leisure / weekend / holiday' user ?

5) Are you looking for a permanent mooring or are you going to continuously cruise ?

It is not uncommon to suggest that for a 1st boat you buy a second hand one so you can find out what you actually need / want, then after a few years have one built to your requirements.

Depending on your budget, I know of a nice, well equipped 4 year old Widebeam for sale at just over £300,000 if that is of any interest.

40 minutes ago, Spoonyy said:

There are loads of 2nd hand (one or two year old) widebeams on the market now - with their owners realising that they cannot get to large parts of the network as many of the UK canals are not designed for widebeams. Have a look at what is available. You may be surprised the features you want are already there.

I agree with Alan. Far better to buy a boat and live in it for 2-3years before building a new one, as without that experience it will be very difficult to know what you need. Our requirements have changed a great deal in the 3 years we have had this boat.

If you buy a second hand widebeam you should definitely consider where it is and where you want to use it, because of the north/south divide; you cannot move a boat wider than 7 feet from the K&A/Thames/GU to or from the Trent etc. by water (except going around by sea which has its perils!, most likely  between the Thames and Humber up the east coast) because the connecting canals are  all narrow. However I've read it's not too terrible to get up the Severn from the K&A, or to cross the Wash between the Nene/Ouse (only connected to the GU by the narrow Northampton Arm!) and some Lincolnshire waters?

Alternatively, you'd have to get it craned out, transported  by road and craned back in; not cheap! Widebeams might be cheaper in some areas than others, but for a reason?? You'd have to plan carefully! Sometimes people buy  certain types in the Netherlands and bring  them by water across the North Sea, which I've read can make some sense with the right boat, skipper and crew, and timing and the right mooring to go to! I would be way out of my depth attempting that, literally!

Hi Im Eram?

My boyfriend Kristaps and I are building our widebeam boat in London.

Im so excited to start our new life together in such a house.

Now we are in the stage of windows fitting, so the question is: Do you have timber frame windows? How do you perform it? And are there issues like condensation or steel corrosion?

Thanks

Edited by Eram

For now I will assume this is a genuine question but talk of an inexperienced couple building a boat in London rather than fitting out seems a bit strange to me.

We need to know what type of wide beam boat, it could men almost anything with a beam (width) of more than about 7ft. You may be fitting out anything from a motor cruiser made form GRP or wood, through a steel or aluminium one to what is probably best known as a wide beam narrowboat that look like a very fat narrowboat.

The way the windows may be fitted varies from boat type to boat type and your personal taste. If its a steel or GRP boat typically you will make a suitable cut-out in the side of the cabin and fit an aluminium pre-made  window in the hole using some type of waterproof bedding and small screws or bolts. You could also use rubber glazing gasket and glaze directly into the hole. This will be like older car's windscreens were fitted.

People have make or fitted UPVC  and wooden framed windows in such craft but it does nothing to enhance their visual value.

I do hope that you have a mooring where you can stay for a long time that allows you to live on the boat. If you think you can just moor up on any bit of canal in London and stay there for days, weeks or months on end you will have a nasty surprise and may potentially loose the boat.