Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know but this is the "Are you new to boating" so some may not

So why suggest it in the first place? Newbies might take your suggestion to use a spanish windlass bow and stern to moor up at face value and do as you say. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So why suggest it in the first place? Newbies might take your suggestion to use a spanish windlass bow and stern to moor up at face value and do as you say. 

Because I have seen more and more boaters doing it, so I am sure new boaters will see it as well

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Because I have seen more and more boaters doing it, so I am sure new boaters will see it as well

In which case I think it should be stated that it is NOT a good idea. Which you haven't done. 

But I have now!!

Or maybe you think it is?

Ok chaps. New to all of this and doing a handling course soon. One thing I could practice beforehand is knots to tie up. 

What knots do you use please ? It's been a while since I was in cubs and I didn't get my knots badge. 

16 minutes ago, cougie said:

Ok chaps. New to all of this and doing a handling course soon. One thing I could practice beforehand is knots to tie up. 

What knots do you use please ? It's been a while since I was in cubs and I didn't get my knots badge. 

I like a bowline.You can't beat a good bowline.

Oh, and a rolling hitch, round turn and 2 half hitches, clove hitch and lightermans hitch

https://www.animatedknots.com/lightermans-hitch-knot#ScrollPoint

ETA.If I only wanted to learn two, it would be bowline and lightermans hitch.

Other useful ones are the good old reef knot, and sheet bend (or double sheet bend)

Edited by rusty69

A round turn and two half hitches if you want to attach a rope from boat to bollard/pin thing or towpath bollard to boat thingy.

Lighterman's hitch is OK to show off your advanced skills, but it's a temporary hitch, quick to tie, quick to release.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

And a clothes hitch is attempting the performance of hitching up your underpants from dangling around your knees when the elastic breaks in public without anyone noticing, difficult if you wear a frock.This happening seriousely restricts and shortens ones stride too like John Wayne's although I don't think hr ever wore frocks.  And is most uncomfortable. The carrying of a big safety pin just in case is advisable. :closedeyes:

The clothes itch could also mean trouble with fleas.

Edited by bizzard

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

A round turn and two half hitches if you want to attach a rope from boat to bollard/pin thing or towpath bollard to boat thingy.

Lighterman's hitch is OK to show off your advanced skills, but it's a temporary hitch, quick to tie, quick to release.

I like these technical terms.  ?

• Haha 1

On 19/10/2019 at 13:05, rusty69 said:

Welcome to the forum. Other likkle boats are Sea otter, and Aintree beetle, and of course, you can get some quite short narrowboats and GRP cruisers.

ETA. Ellen MacArthur is only 5'2".Technique is more important than brute strength.

Hi Rusty et al...

Thanks for all your comments...had a good chuckle too!

Yes. I guess that I will find ways around things when I get into it... I know the wilderness boats may not be pretty but better to try with something manageable and then maybe up grade...

After doing a fair bit of research over the last few days...  I'm getting the feeling that I'm not going to find a 'residential' with the Canal and River Trust (CRT?) ...I'm also seeing a few posts that 

are saying they're partly responsible for the 'selling off' of lots of mooring  (people buying up desirable land and building deluxe apartments/housing?).. so I guess I should be looking at the local level... 

So could be looking for info from anyone who may be in/around or have recently passed through the wirral/chester area recently?.... 

• 2 weeks later...

Good mooring all,

I wont bore you all with my life story-

I used to live near a canal in my youth, and spent nearly all my free time fishing the canal and rivers in my area and every opportunity i would go on narrow boat holidays with my school and family.

My wife has never been on a narrow boat, but i have shown her some tempting youtube videos of some very pretty canals, which she has fallen in love with.

I plan to take her for some short breaks to ease her into narrowboats and hopefully get her hooked.

I have done the K+A canal and the four counties ring previously - but always with experienced boaters.

I'm looking for suggestions for easy 3 or 5 day cruises with easy locks to get us into the swing of things and learn the ropes.

If there is a better place to ask the question above please let me know.

many thanks

Jeff

So I have just taken the plunge and bought a Dawncraft 25 Centre cockpit grp cruiser.

I have bought it as a project to learn how to build and maintain a boat on a more affordable scale before putting all my savings into a much bigger boat. 

Boat is currently in a yard on the Liverpool to Leeds canal. I am in Milton Keynes. The idea is to fix the hull, fit an engine get a BSC, get a CRT License, Stick it in the water and pootle down to MK. Canalplanner says 204 miles = 14 days at 7 hours a day. first Lock is the Wigan flight 21 locks I believe

Never owned a boat before so this is going to be a challenge and an adventure. 

Anyone else on the Liverpool to Leeds canal? 

1 hour ago, Welsherfarr said:

So I have just taken the plunge and bought a Dawncraft 25 Centre cockpit grp cruiser.

I have bought it as a project to learn how to build and maintain a boat on a more affordable scale before putting all my savings into a much bigger boat. 

Boat is currently in a yard on the Liverpool to Leeds canal. I am in Milton Keynes. The idea is to fix the hull, fit an engine get a BSC, get a CRT License, Stick it in the water and pootle down to MK. Canalplanner says 204 miles = 14 days at 7 hours a day. first Lock is the Wigan flight 21 locks I believe

Never owned a boat before so this is going to be a challenge and an adventure. 

Anyone else on the Liverpool to Leeds canal? 

How much work do you need to do before the boat goes back in the water? You could save a lot of travelling time (and money) by getting the boat brought down to somewhere nearer home. Shouldn't cost that much for a 25 ft cruiser.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Stuart.

Been lurking for a while and picking up lots of useful information here.

We have a number of narrowboat related plans swirling right now, with a view to being permanently on the water in 4 years time at the latest, We may buy a small project / hobby boat sooner than that. We live near the L&L and spend a lot of time walking various stretches - did the Wigan flight up and back in 90 minutes at the weekend, which must be a record ?

The most pressing engagement is 7 days on the GU and North Oxford for Christmas week. We're expecting nice, quiet locks, and to be fighting over who steers and who gets to walk because standing at the tiller is going to be cold ? 

Hi,  my husband and I are Kiwis and we are planning a long boat holiday in the UK for next year.  Neither of us have had much to do with boats despite coming from a country that oozes sailing as a sport and pastime...  However we have come up with this idea of doing this trip and would like any help we can get on long boating on the UK Canals.  Yes we have watched Tim and Prunella on youtube....We are very capable people having run a motorcycle tour business for 33 years and built two homes so we will manage ok, but I'm here for knowledge first hand from long boat people.  We have friends all over England we want to visit along the way and I imagine we would be traveling by train in between pick up and drop off points.  

Any advice will be very much appreciated!  

7 hours ago, Alison Fitzgerald said:

Hi,  my husband and I are Kiwis and we are planning a long boat holiday in the UK for next year.  Neither of us have had much to do with boats despite coming from a country that oozes sailing as a sport and pastime...  However we have come up with this idea of doing this trip and would like any help we can get on long boating on the UK Canals.  Yes we have watched Tim and Prunella on youtube....We are very capable people having run a motorcycle tour business for 33 years and built two homes so we will manage ok, but I'm here for knowledge first hand from long boat people.  We have friends all over England we want to visit along the way and I imagine we would be traveling by train in between pick up and drop off points.  

Any advice will be very much appreciated!  

Welcome to the forum.

Lack of experience of narrow boats is not a problem. In a few days you will be doing great. How long is your long boat holiday and where are you looking to hire your boat? If it really is long then it could expensive. Hire boat prices high season can be eye watering.

Where and when are you looking to start?