Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

I'm skin aka Mark, and along with my other half we are looking to embark on a new chapter in our lives and buy our first boat.

Sooooo many questions you'll be quite sick of me :)

Cheers

Skin

On 10/07/2019 at 16:05, Graham stan said:

Seeking cheap temp or full time moorings aire and calder  near pocklington can anyone help looking at buying first boat but need somewhere to take it 

Hi Graham - you might want to repost your question in the general boating section because I thing it may have got a little left behind over here. 

17 minutes ago, Skin said:

Hi everyone

I'm skin aka Mark, and along with my other half we are looking to embark on a new chapter in our lives and buy our first boat.

Sooooo many questions you'll be quite sick of me :)

Cheers

Skin

Hello Skins and welcome, no questions are silly questions. :D

If your other half want's to have their own account then the more the merrier. ??

7 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Welcome aboard !! Haven't seen that one yet but have enjoyed 'Journey With Jono' very much !!

cool, just started watching, the guy(jono?) sounds knackered for some reason...

they are all pretty good

'cruisingthecut' is by a guy who was a local tv journalist, his videos are pretty calming, everything slow and gentle and very informative.

another one I watched a bit is jimmy (freedom and survival) who lives on GRP, not many views but like his rants about various stuff :)

Guest Nomad

Hi All

have been browsing the forum for a while now. Having been living a nomadic life since last century, most recently in a self built camper conversion (since ‘13) and am now just about ready to take to inland waterways in Ireland for a few years. 

A small wide-beam is going to meet my living requirements, something around 45-50 x 10-12 feet. A new sail away is the way I plan to go as the fit-out is easy enough. 

Where to buy is my dilemma at present. 

Should I buy a sail away in England and incur transportation costs or buy local in Ireland ? 

Hi everyone,

We have been on our boat since September of last year and are on a continuous cruiser license on the Kennet and Avon.

We decided to jump in with both feet and haven’t looked back since!

We are on a Wide beam and are currently in Great Bedwyn on our way to Devizes but have had to stop here due to the Crofton pump being broken. After waking up this morning I soon realised that the water level has dropped by nearly 1ft but I can’t find any information for a explanation anywhere. I do know that they were supposed to be fixing the pump over the weekend so maybe this is the reason, who knows?!

Coby

28 minutes ago, Coby said:

I soon realised that the water level has dropped by nearly 1ft but I can’t find any information for a explanation anywhere. I do know that they were supposed to be fixing the pump over the weekend so maybe this is the reason, who knows?!

If the pump was already broken, then probably 'taking it off line' to fix it wouldn't have any effect.

No doubt C&RT will say "some boater left a lock gate open"

There is a broken pump at the opposite end of the summit apparently, at Wootton Rivers. Only one of two in working order. But Great Bedwyn is at the bottom of the the Crofton flight so I'm not sure this is relevant. More likely the pumps pumping it back UP the Crofton flight have been running too much. 

I noticed the church Meadow pound being a foot low too a couple of times recently and Church Lock was all closed up correctly, so it won't be that. 

Hi Mike!

It seems that they have a problem with a lot of the pumps then!

To be honest, I’m not fully clued up with how this all works and what relevance each part has to another.

Obviously I understand how a canal works but it’s probably down to lack of local knowledge and that I’ve found that whilst people try to be helpful it’s not always entirely accurate!

Finding this forum seems to be a godsend!

13 minutes ago, Coby said:

Hi Mike!

It seems that they have a problem with a lot of the pumps then!

To be honest, I’m not fully clued up with how this all works and what relevance each part has to another.

Obviously I understand how a canal works but it’s probably down to lack of local knowledge and that I’ve found that whilst people try to be helpful it’s not always entirely accurate!

Finding this forum seems to be a godsend!

Understanding canal architecture and water supply is actually a surprisingly complex subject and few boaters have much of a clue, so you do get fed all sorts of rubbish out on the towpath by other boaters. 

Anyway I'm only guessing too. I don't actually know for sure why the pound here was low. Level is about 6" low here now but I don't know about the levels further up the flight. Will go out and have a look later!

7 hours ago, Coby said:

Ok, thanks! Keep me informed!

Ok so you must be in the pound below Church Lock, it was about 18" down this morning. Two widebeams down there, neither of them showing a name or a licence disc :P 

Anyway that pound has a history of low levels overnight. The top gates of Burnt Mill lock at the bottom end leak like a sieve so if last boater through leaves the bottom gates open, the level in the pound drops by a foot overnight. And that seems to be what happened. Dunno why this has suddenly shown up on CRT's radar after many years of this but it has, they issued a stoppage notice at 5.13pm today to have a bash at fixing it. 

So there we are!

All one needs to do is shut the bottom gates/paddles and levels slowly return to normal, but at lunchtime today one gate and one paddle were still wide open despite a couple of CRT bods wondering about looking at their phones.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, we are Rich & Lisa currently Landlord n landlady of the Midland spinner pub in warmley bristol,  it's been our dream to own a boat so that's what weve done ! Weve bought a gorgeous 30ft Dawncraft having her brought down from coventry next weds then launching her in bristol and making our way to Kelston Mills mooring where we  will be spending our time relaxing away from the pub at every opportunity! Would appreciate any tips and help you may offer x

30 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

So you have a pub and a narrow boat.

Life's complete.

My dream when I was younger was to hook up with a beautiful nymphomaniac millionairess with a weak heart who owned a pub... 

I settled for beautiful :)

11 hours ago, Rich2019 said:

Hi all, we are Rich & Lisa currently Landlord n landlady of the Midland spinner pub in warmley bristol,  it's been our dream to own a boat so that's what weve done ! Weve bought a gorgeous 30ft Dawncraft having her brought down from coventry next weds then launching her in bristol and making our way to Kelston Mills mooring where we  will be spending our time relaxing away from the pub at every opportunity! Would appreciate any tips and help you may offer x

Rich & Lisa, welcome to the wonderfulworld of boating.