Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Interesting! What date is photo? Yes she has a particularly long narrow bow. Is that a bit like a josher bow? Pan 91 has roof bars not a lip at edge of roof (don’t know proper terms for this,) cut of side flanges look v similar!

10 minutes ago, Catali said:

What date is photo?

That sailaway is a piccy from their website - http://jdnarrowboats.com

It's the shape of the bow that made me think of JD but I don't want to over commit myself to this train of though because I'm not the most experienced person to be having this discussion with. JD Narrowboats aren't a particularly old company but I'm sure there is a story behind how they started. Ironically I think that Matty, the chap that's getting married, knows quite a lot about them. 

ETA - I can't find it now that I'm looking for it but I'm sure that the yard at Shardlow where JD Narrowboats work out of was a working boat yard before they took it over but I can't remember who had it or even if they evolved into JD for some reason - I'm grasping at straws now, so probbly best to wait till some one who knows their stuff comes along. ?

Edited by Tumshie

Yes, just had a look at the site. Maybe was an early experiment!? She’s a kind of reverse layout which might have been unusual then? Been reading a lot about Hull thickness/corrosion... our main worry really. we noticed a lot of rust below bow decking. (We’d taken off the steps from forward cabin up to bow well if that makes sense.) would we have been looking down on the top side of the base plate?

21 minutes ago, Catali said:

Maybe was an early experiment!?

You learn traits from whoever you serve your time with, you carry them and then they evolve with time so if there is any link at all it could be in a few different ways. Or I could be completely wrong. ?

Been reading a lot about Hull thickness/corrosion... our main worry really.

Now that could give you nightmares but it might not be as big a minefield as you imagine. 

we noticed a lot of rust below bow decking. (We’d taken off the steps from forward cabin up to bow well if that makes sense.) would we have been looking down on the top side of the base plate?

Have you taken any pictures because that would be helpful. Rust can often look worse than it seems. 

17 minutes ago, Catali said:

Yes, maybe I’ll ask the question again in a day or so. Thanks for your help and ideas! We’re a bit obsessed with the subject atm!

That's not a bad idea - starting a new thread, with the link to the boat and giving quite a lot of info and all the bits that you would like to go over and I'm pretty certain you will get quite a few people chatting about it. 

Nothing wrong with being a little obsessed when you're boat hunting. ?Night night and I'll watch with interest tomorrow. 

Edited by Tumshie
  • Happy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just putting some rough figures together for monthly costs, think I've got most things covered but -

What's the average price of a pump out ?

How much diesel does an Eberspacher (sp?) use per hour (or whatever unit you wish to use).

28 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Just putting some rough figures together for monthly costs, think I've got most things covered but -

How much diesel does an Eberspacher (sp?) use per hour (or whatever unit you wish to use).

Electrical consumption of an Eberspacher for a popular sized NB is around 115 watts. Diesel consumption can be as high as a litre an hour if permanently on high, again though on average ran for a normal 24 hours I'd say around 15 litres. A diesel stove such as a Refleks is a bit less. As for pump outs, if you have £20 ready that'll cover all instances.

48 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

47 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Recently, I had a couple of pump outs, one was £14, the other £16.

39 minutes ago, Iain Johnston said:

Electrical consumption of an Eberspacher for a popular sized NB is around 115 watts. Diesel consumption can be as high as a litre an hour if permanently on high, again though on average ran for a normal 24 hours I'd say around 15 litres. A diesel stove such as a Refleks is a bit less. As for pump outs, if you have £20 ready that'll cover all instances.

Thank you. They don't seem very economical ? I don't think I'll be going through the depths of winter so just the occasional use on chilly nights.

37 minutes ago, davem399 said:

Recently, I had a couple of pump outs, one was £14, the other £16.

Thanks. Have to keep emptying out to once a month then !

1 minute ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Thank you. They don't seem very economical ?

The 'blower' on my Eber is a continuous 10 amps (240Ah per day), when the 'burner' is firing it is even higher.

I have 2x 230Ah batteries purely to power the eber.

Fuel consumption (l/h) 1.05  litres per hour on high, 0.4 litres per hour on low.

Electr. power (watt) 115 w continuous, 330 w on start up.

On 17/06/2019 at 18:47, NewCanalBoy said:

Thank you. They don't seem very economical ? I don't think I'll be going through the depths of winter so just the occasional use on chilly nights.

Thanks. Have to keep emptying out to once a month then !

I have an oil drip stove, I find having it on its lowest setting keeps the boat toasty warm (about  21°C or more, depending on outside temperature). It uses about quarter of a litre per hour, so a maximum of 6 litress per 24 hours at around 80p per litre (100% domestic).

However it is so easy to switch on and off that I usually turn it off when we go to bed and delight it in the morning.

20 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Who are the more popular insurers ?

Anything I should add to the policy that might not be obvious to a newbie ?!

Can I claim 30 years NCD as I've never had a car crash ?!

Only if you have been driving your car down the canal and rivers for 30 years

As to best?  Do you mean lowest cost (that may not pay out without a fuss) or gives a quick service but costs more?

I have insured with GJW direct for a number of years but never had to make a claim, so can not comment on personal experience of claiming.

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

As to best?  Do you mean lowest cost (that may not pay out without a fuss) or gives a quick service but costs more?

Reputable, reliable, honest, non fussy, helpful, won't stick me up in my hour of need - kind of people !!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2004 at 14:42, Sam said:

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi I’m looking to purchase a widebeam soon and have looked at a few and I intend living in a marina for first year whilst doing short trips out and getting used to the boat and fitting solar before going constant cruising. This will be a single crew experience so any guidance please very welcome . Thanks Martin 

14 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

Hi I’m looking to purchase a widebeam soon and have looked at a few and I intend living in a marina for first year whilst doing short trips out and getting used to the boat and fitting solar before going constant cruising. This will be a single crew experience so any guidance please very welcome . Thanks Martin 

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating.

The initial guidance would be to look carefully where you pan to use the boat and get one that fits the local canals.

If you care to give your planned area of operation you will get suggestions as to the best sized boat.

(You have maybe seen the thread about the fat-boat that having been craned into the water is too big for the canal and is now 'stuck')

Hi all, I'm Carl

I'm new to the forum speaking wise but been taking advice for a few years now of other people's posts... 

I'm 36 years young ? I'm on my 2md narrowboat first was a 60 foot trad back (had to sell due to divorce ??) current boat is a 70 foot cruiser stern made by abc in 1993. I have been refurbishing it since 2016, painted it last year, cruised in it for the first time this year (last month) did the 4 counties and loved every minute of it ?

Pleased to meet you all 

Carl 

• Greenie 1