Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi guys, this is a new adventure for us having spent the last decade invading all corners Europe in our motorhome(s). Our only boating knowledge stems from an annual Broads holiday for the past 25 years. (NB from Rugby back in '82 with mum & dad.)

We'll be looking for a 50ft new build within the next 12 months so any advice from you knowledgeable folk will be greatly appreciated, vertical foldover mattresses, diesel or multi fuel stoves, bow thruster yes/no etc etc.

I'm a fairly active participant on the motorhome forums so I'm looking forward to this...

Iain.

2 minutes ago, Iain Johnston said:

Hi guys, this is a new adventure for us having spent the last decade invading all corners Europe in our motorhome(s). Our only boating knowledge stems from an annual Broads holiday for the past 25 years. (NB from Rugby back in '82 with mum & dad.)

We'll be looking for a 50ft new build within the next 12 months so any advice from you knowledgeable folk will be greatly appreciated, vertical foldover mattresses, diesel or multi fuel stoves, bow thruster yes/no etc etc.

I'm a fairly active participant on the motorhome forums so I'm looking forward to this...

Iain.

Welcome Iain, enjoy.

Hi, I am trying to find a map that has both the river network and canal network on it - to compare them.

Just wondering how much I will be limited by if I got a cabin cruiser that could only go on rivers ? I assume it would limit me greatly compared to the canal system ?

If I had a map that overlaid both it would be brilliant.

Cheers

This has a little of what you need http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/mwp.php?wpage=Inland-Waterways-of-England.htm

However cabin cruisers come in a vast number of sizes, drafts, air drafts and cross sectional profile all of which have probably more bearing on the ability to use a waterway than the simple beam and length. Think about the canal's arched bridges where there can be well over 600mm difference in clearance between the centre and the edges of the boat.

1 hour ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Hi, I am trying to find a map that has both the river network and canal network on it - to compare them.

Just wondering how much I will be limited by if I got a cabin cruiser that could only go on rivers ? I assume it would limit me greatly compared to the canal system ?

If I had a map that overlaid both it would be brilliant.

Cheers

By definition "if I got a cabin cruiser that could only go on rivers" then it would be precluded from the canals.

Here is a picture of a cabin cruiser that can go on rivers & canals, alongside one that can only use Rivers

One is 32 foot long x 6'10" wide, the other is 35 foot long and 14' wide.

Perhaps if you gave your dimensions someone would be able to help further (there are lists available of canal & river dimensions, but as far as I am aware not overlay maps)

CAM00019.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Hello! Newby here! Not new to Narrowboats but thinking of buying our first. Looking at one built in 1991 by D&A marine according to spec. Anyone heard of them? Can’t find anything that matches up or makes sense of the name online. Would be v grateful for any thoughts! Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Catali said:

Hello! Newby here! Not new to Narrowboats but thinking of buying our first. Looking at one built in 1991 by D&A marine according to spec. Anyone heard of them? Can’t find anything that matches up or makes sense of the name online. Would be v grateful for any thoughts! Thanks!

Hi Catali and welcome to the forum, you've caught us an a bit of a slow night, we're have a wedding do and most of the forum is there tonight, of course they may all be back here later but by that time they'll all be a bit tiddly. 

If you don't have much luck getting the info you need this evening try posting a new thread tomorrow, where you could post link to the advert of the boat you're interested in, it's pretty save to do that. 

Sorry I can't be more help but I'm sure someone will have the info you need. 

Tumsh :)

4 minutes ago, Catali said:

Lol! Hope everyone has a good time...no falling in the water!! Thanks for the heads up tho! Will do as you suggest. Cheers,

I think they're having an alright time  :D

If you click the arrow in the top right hand corner of the boxes it will take you to some piccies.

30 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Hi Catali and welcome to the forum, you've caught us an a bit of a slow night, we're have a wedding do and most of the forum is there tonight, of course they may all be back here later but by that time they'll all be a bit tiddly. 

If you don't have much luck getting the info you need this evening try posting a new thread tomorrow, where you could post link to the advert of the boat you're interested in, it's pretty save to do that. 

Sorry I can't be more help but I'm sure someone will have the info you need. 

Tumsh :)

Bloomin' 'eck. Last time I looked there were over 20,000 member on this forum. Sorry Tumsh, just had to be pedantic ? xx

• Haha 1

Taken in the spirit the comment was meant Tumsh :-) Best wishes to the happy couple xx

eta: Welcome Catali and sorry for diverting your post. No idea about the builder but that's not to be negative. There have been loads of builders who have only done a few boats but that's not to say they're no good. Build spec, recent survey etc. Look at those.

Edited by BilgePump
  • Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Catali said:

That all looks rather wonderful. May they be very happy!.....and there’s a duck!

Oh yes there's a Duck - it's a thing... he's a valued member of the forum. :D

The Duck and @Dr Bob have been on many an adventure but the duck has gone off by himself for a bit, visiting other forum members and having a jolly old time. 

If you put duck into the search facility at the top right hand corner of the site header you will find a whole strew stuff about him, but be carful it's a bit of a rabbit hole..... duck hole?:blink:

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

The Duck and @Dr Bob have been on many an adventure but the duck has gone off by himself for a bit, visiting other forum members and having a jolly old time. 

If you put duck into the search facility at the top right hand corner of the site header you will find a whole strew stuff about him, but be carful it's a bit of a rabbit hole..... duck hole?:blink:

He's a duck, not a wabbit!

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

at least the plastic duck is only one step removed from a real duck and not that strange place called apolloduck

Yesterday on the Peak Forest I saw a weird purple/green/blue duck. It shimmered like covered in fuel but obviously healthy. Now I look on Google they're quite common!

We like ducks! I’m interested in the builder more than put off. Looks a bit like a one off build tbh. Old but rather pretty especially inside. Think she’s been well looked after by a quirky but reasonably knowledgable owner. Just can’t resist delving a bit into her story.

2 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

at least the plastic duck is only one step removed from a real duck and not that strange place called apolloduck

Yesterday on the Peak Forest I saw a weird purple/green/blue duck. It shimmered like covered in fuel but obviously healthy. Now I look on Google they're quite common!

Maybe a Black East Indian (duck!) ....we used to keep them!

• Greenie 1

I've seen home builds that have been incredibly well thought out labours of love and the next owner is grateful to get the opportunuity to take it on. Maybe they only built one, but heck, it was a good one. On the other hand anyone could string together some oil drums with a bit of scaffolding, a shed, and call it a 'desirable floating abode'.

9 minutes ago, Catali said:

We like ducks! I’m interested in the builder more than put off. Looks a bit like a one off build tbh. Old but rather pretty especially inside. Think she’s been well looked after by a quirky but reasonably knowledgable owner. Just can’t resist delving a bit into her story.

D&A marine aren't a builder I've heard of, they are probably know by someone here. Is she a cream and blue cruiser stern by any chance?

An interesting stern at that. ?

Edited by Tumshie

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

D&A marine aren't a builder I've heard of, they are probably know by someone here. Is she a cream and blue cruiser stern by any chance?

Yes, and quite recognisable by a motorbike platform at the stern

1 minute ago, Catali said:

Yes, and quite recognisable by a motorbike platform at the stern

To make life a little easier I'm going to post a link to the boat then - hope that's ok.. I would like to ask @BilgePump something and the link would help. 

• Happy 1

Realistically, D and A are both probably retired by now. But, in 1991, if they were very good at welding, had an understanding of the NB evolution, had marine engineering contacts who could fit appropriate engines and others who could fit them out then it could well be a good boat. If if is nearly three decades old, well kept and you like it, I guess it's not a basketcase.

12 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

I've seen home builds that have been incredibly well thought out labours of love and the next owner is grateful to get the opportunuity to take it on. Maybe they only built one, but heck, it was a good one. On the other hand anyone could string together some oil drums with a bit of scaffolding, a shed, and call it a 'desirable floating abode'.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/narrow-boats-cruiser-stern/607779

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but I wonder if there is a connection between D&A Marine and JD Narrowboats, it just there seem to be some similarities I'm the cut at the cratch and the shape of the bow. 

The picture below is a JD boat. 

IMAG0014_1600x926.jpg

Not quite the same, I know there are some obvious differences.