Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Jo Mallory said:

I know Right. I've found one in newbury; leisure mooring with no amenities, no parking, with access down a hill, 3K - i'm almost convinced thats a bargain. ?

That IS a bargain. My CRT unserviced on line mooring near Newbury costs £3,500 a year. 

31 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I won't pursue it. I wasn't 'that' interested to be honest. Just wondered where the moorings were/are. I now know as I googled it.

It because you are not a member of that group I suspect, not everything is there for all to see

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Jo Mallory said:

Howdy, we've been lurking round quite a few boat yards and marina's for months now, but we're just not finding a boat that has that 'right' feeling. We have found one for sale privately, which is why I'm trawling through all the forums here - as i don't know how safe i feel buying a boat that way. 

We have a couple of marinas where we can moor her, (they're pricey though, as its down south) and i'm in the process of trying to find a standard online mooring on the kennet and avon. (Which i'm getting the feeling are like gold dust.) 

My brain is fried to be honest.

Hi I've just read your post re mooring on the kennet and avon. Have a look at gumtree bristol. There is a boat with possible mooring in Wiltshire. I think it's in pewsham? The boat is a little yogurt pot but the ad does mention that the mooring may be available. Near the pub too.

• Happy 1

On 27/04/2019 at 11:35, Jo Mallory said:

I know Right. I've found one in newbury; leisure mooring with no amenities, no parking, with access down a hill, 3K - i'm almost convinced thats a bargain. ?

I'm not convinced

23 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That IS a bargain. My CRT unserviced on line mooring near Newbury costs £3,500 a year. 

gotcha, i'll stop moaning. :) I originally started researching moorings at Leic and up, and they were £1500 ish. Everything's more expensive down here. 

8 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

gotcha, i'll stop moaning. :) I originally started researching moorings at Leic and up, and they were £1500 ish. Everything's more expensive down here. 

Just to clarify, I'm talking about a mooring for a full length boat. Are you?

Boat moorings are generally rented by the foot, so if your £3,000 mooring is for less than 71ft then it looks proportionally more expensive. 

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just to clarify, I'm talking about a mooring for a full length boat. Are you?

Boat moorings are generally rented by the foot, so if your £3,000 mooring is for less than 71ft then it looks proportionally more expensive. 

Boat length is 60ft - i've not found anything around newbury, basingstoke or Guildford for less than £2800.00 -- and that's IF they have any vacancies for long term, leisure. (A year at a time) -- We're trying to get the mooring pinned down before we lay down a deposit on a boat. 

21 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

Boat length is 60ft - i've not found anything around newbury, basingstoke or Guildford for less than £2800.00 -- and that's IF they have any vacancies for long term, leisure. (A year at a time) -- We're trying to get the mooring pinned down before we lay down a deposit on a boat. 

Par for the course really. That's what moorings cost!

You could just buy the right boat if it comes along and CC it (i.e. moor for two weeks at a time on the public CRT towpath and move it every two weeks) while you seek a mooring, but you won't find one any cheaper south of Birmingham.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Minihaha said:

Hi my name is Linda,and in the process of buying a 32 dawncraft highbridge.Im knocking on abit and I hope I've not left it too late and still able to maintain it .

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum. imho you've made a good choice to start with. That's a great boat and being GRP relatively simple to maintain on a DIY basis.

Well I went for the Highbridge but it needed more work than expected,it would have been costly getting the jobs done.The next day I went and looked at a viking 26 ,cheaper than the Highbridge and in good condition,with many upgrades  all it needs is the upholstery and curtains replacing to liven it up .Will be looking for any cheap ways and ideas on this.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Minihaha said:

Hi my name is Linda,and in the process of buying a 32 dawncraft highbridge.Im knocking on abit and I hope I've not left it too late and still able to maintain it .

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum. :)

Everybody here (except me) is nocking on a bit so 1) I wouldn't worry about it and 2) you should fit right in. 

11 hours ago, Minihaha said:

Well I went for the Highbridge but it needed more work than expected,it would have been costly getting the jobs done.The next day I went and looked at a viking 26 ,cheaper than the Highbridge and in good condition,with many upgrades  all it needs is the upholstery and curtains replacing to liven it up .Will be looking for any cheap ways and ideas on this.

Most of the boat owners on the forum own narrowboats, I assume, but there are still loads of folks with other types, or who have owned the types of boat at one time or other. 

Good luck with the search. 

• Happy 1