Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Morlulon said:

Hello everybody, my name is  Justin. Nice to meet. I will be glad to meet new people and get new experience.

Hi and welcome - until our official 'meet and greater' comes along (she is Scottish but we all have our problems) you'll have to put up with the rest of us.

@Tumshie is the one that you want O' - O' - O'.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

@Tumshie is the one that you want O' - O' - O'.

O'- O'- O'. ??? I get the distinct impression you might be muddling me up with Olivia Newton-John ?

I was a bit slow of the mark - I do apologise, but I'm only just back in and being in the frozen north my internet's being a bit norty. 

13 minutes ago, Morlulon said:

Hello everybody, my name is  Justin. Nice to meet. I will be glad to meet new people and get new experience.

Hello Justin and welcome to the forum, as you can see there are lots of "interesting" people here and participation in this forum is certainly an experience :giggles:

I'm not really the official "meet and greeter" it just kinda happened by accident (sort of)........

Anyway warmest welcomes and come away in. 

26 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

O'- O'- O'. ??? I get the distinct impression you might be muddling me up with Olivia Newton-John ?

I was a bit slow of the mark - I do apologise, but I'm only just back in and being in the frozen north my internet's being a bit norty. 

Hello Justin and welcome to the forum, as you can see there are lots of "interesting" people here and participation in this forum is certainly an experience :giggles:

I'm not really the official "meet and greeter" it just kinda happened by accident (sort of)........

Anyway warmest welcomes and come away in. 

Oh, I'm sorry I have a mixed topic. Thank you for understanding.

6 minutes ago, Morlulon said:

Oh, I'm sorry I have a mixed topic. Thank you for understanding.

You didn't, it's fine - this is where new members introduce themselves and we say hello - this usually involves some banter and occasionally some leg pulling but it's all good fun. 

It would probbly make more sense if the title said new to the forum rather than new to boating ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2019 at 21:16, TheBiscuits said:

I'm a bloke over 6ft and over 16 stone, but I was trained by ex-working boatmen:  "You've got a friggin' engine and some bloody rope! Use 'em!"

There isn't a bloke on the planet that can stop a 40 ton laden L&L shortboat by pulling on a rope that isn't strapped round a bollard or fed through a ring, and you can't always rely on them as the coping stones get ripped out! 

My technique is to slow the boat right down using it's own power, and then give it just that little bit longer so it is actually stopped.  I despair at seeing 4 ft 6 stone women being screamed at by their 6ft 20 stone husbands that they are not pulling hard enough.

Don't apologise for being female - just use the brains us blokes were not given(!) and don't try and make excuses for lack of upper body strength.  It's much easier if you learn some of the more advanced rope & engine techniques ... for example tie the centre line to a bollard with some slack and then just power forward until the boat touches the side all the way along it's length.

ETA:

Not a dig @BlueStringPudding, just a general thing about women not handling boats like most men (who usually do it wrong anyway!)

And when there isn't a bollard?

Or on a windy day?

I'm not sure you actually read the examples I gave  ? 

My ex steered the boat without a tiller extension. He was physically strong and found that suited his upper body strength.  I couldn't do that so I extended the tiller. That is using my brain. 

• Greenie 1

Stopping a heavy boat is hard work and should indeed be done wherever possible by using an engine or a rope round a bollard (and usually letting the rope slip a bit depending on circumstances so as not to put too much strain on it). But there comes a time when someone pulling a rope is the only way, when there's no engine and no suitable bollard. When bringing a butty into a single lock, and often when pulling it from one lock to the next if they're close together, I'll be walking slowly along the towpath and relying upon the physics F=ma. There's one man's force, a lot less than a horse could exert, pulling a lot of mass, maybe 35 tonnes if Brighton is loaded, so the result is very gradual acceleration. Ideally the butty steerer gets it into the lock neatly so as not to bang the hull on the corner or waste speed, then when it's part way in I stop pulling, wait a bit then pull back to stop it before it reaches the gates. If there's a post/bollard in the right place I use that to stop the boat, but often there isn't, so it's important to judge carefully when to pull; that comes with practice.

All of this is of course not very relevant to this topic, as anyone new to boating nowadays is unlikely to start out on a pair! But the NBT is always looking for new members.

19 minutes ago, Kiron123 said:

I need some advice because I'm planning to be a fisherman and what kind of boat do I need?

Yeah - that one's gonna be anything from a sit on kayak to a trawler till you get a little more specific. ?

iu.jpeg

22 hours ago, Peter X said:

Stopping a heavy boat is hard work and should indeed be done wherever possible by using an engine or a rope round a bollard (and usually letting the rope slip a bit depending on circumstances so as not to put too much strain on it). But there comes a time when someone pulling a rope is the only way, when there's no engine and no suitable bollard. When bringing a butty into a single lock, and often when pulling it from one lock to the next if they're close together, I'll be walking slowly along the towpath and relying upon the physics F=ma. There's one man's force, a lot less than a horse could exert, pulling a lot of mass, maybe 35 tonnes if Brighton is loaded, so the result is very gradual acceleration. Ideally the butty steerer gets it into the lock neatly so as not to bang the hull on the corner or waste speed, then when it's part way in I stop pulling, wait a bit then pull back to stop it before it reaches the gates. If there's a post/bollard in the right place I use that to stop the boat, but often there isn't, so it's important to judge carefully when to pull; that comes with practice.

All of this is of course not very relevant to this topic, as anyone new to boating nowadays is unlikely to start out on a pair! But the NBT is always looking for new members.

Oo, you mathematician, you! During my education years it was

P = mf   

8 minutes ago, Dearhound said:

I'm sorry  - I've no doubt this is a really stupid question, but as I don't know the answer I'm gonna ask it anyway :  what does 'greenie' mean please?

You my dear Dearhound have been giving out greenies every time you click the arrow in the bottom right corner of a post box. It doesn't matter if its a red heart, a green arrow or an emoji we refer to them as greenies.

ETA I think at some point you could only give green or red arrows for up and down votes respectively. 

Have a greenie ♥️

Edited by Tumshie