Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hello everyone! We have hired in the past and would like to find a good second hand boat to buy to cruise the Lancaster (and beyond in a couple of years). Have found lots of interesting info here so have taken the plunge and joined you! Look forward to reading lots more stuff (and asking lots of questions in the future!)

On 04/09/2018 at 10:42, juragirl said:

Hello everyone! We have hired in the past and would like to find a good second hand boat to buy to cruise the Lancaster (and beyond in a couple of years). Have found lots of interesting info here so have taken the plunge and joined you! Look forward to reading lots more stuff (and asking lots of questions in the future!)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your boat hunting ⛴

6 hours ago, Mister P said:

Hi there

Sean here. Not yet boating but intend to be very soon hopefully. Based in the midlands and on the lookout as we speak for a GRP cruiser for our first boat.

Very informative site this!

Welcome aboard, hope all goes well ?

• 1 month later...

Morning

I'm Anna-Claire and i recently got my boat, she's a 43 foot dutch barge project boat.

I'm looking for someone who can help me move it asap she's currently at hampton court palace, I need to get her onto the grand union canal to uxbridge.

If anyone know of any experianced boaters who may be able to help I'd be very greatful.

(please note I am also willing to pay for thier time)

Anna-Claire,

I think the person for the job would be Ian, whose user name is "The Boater". Your boat move is practically on his doorstep, he's helped out other people on the forum with this sort of thing, and I'm sure he knows his stuff including doing the tidal stretch between Teddington and Brentford.

I'm going that way myself later this week with the Narrow Boat Trust on their pair of coal boats, so not able to help you out at present. But if needed, I can probably turn up for a day or two some time during 20-25 October.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm Andy a total novice here who has just taken the plunge and bought a 20' Norman Cruiser, I'm finding lots of useful information here and looking forward to my first baby steps on the waterways I will be starting off on the Avon at Evesham as I'm currently based there. I will be predominantly be boating alone so won't be rushing into any great adventured for a while! 

IMG_20181005_223804.jpg

Edited by Wolvesinwales
Added a bit
  • Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

Hello, after several weeks of trawling the forum i thought it best to join and introduce myself. My wife and i live in our motorhome and travel extensively around europe chasing the sun, but due to the uncertainty of whats happening with regard to you know what!! we think a narrowboat and exploring the UK from a different perspective is the way to go. So i hope you can pass on your collective knowledge when i start asking questions.

Cheers and merry christmas

Jinna

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

joined a week or so ago.  I am first engineer on a gas bunker vessel (big tanker).  I have boated on canals a few times and find it a massive stress reliever.  Intend to buy a boat when I have learnt more about narrowboat life and had a couple more hires under my belt.

regards

• Happy 3

10 minutes ago, Fungusp said:

Hi,

joined a week or so ago.  I am first engineer on a gas bunker vessel (big tanker).  I have boated on canals a few times and find it a massive stress reliever.  Intend to buy a boat when I have learnt more about narrowboat life and had a couple more hires under my belt.

regards

Welcome

40 minutes ago, Fungusp said:

Appreciated.  I am good at 100,000 DWT and above but narrowboats are a law unto themselves!

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will be fine with your deep sea experience.  You may find the following useful if you haven't already seen them

The boaters handbook and an accompanying video - links below - will give a flavour of what to expect:-

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/141.pdf

https://www.drifters.co.uk/boating-video.html

Good luck & happy boasting,

Howard

Edited by howardang

Hi All

I'm a 50-something gongoozler who is looking to take the leap and become a liveaboard in 2019. I've been enjoying a few vlogs on YouTube and have now found this forum, so I should be well informed when the time comes to buy.

Sadly my job means I can't be a continuous cruiser just yet, so I'll be looking to buy and moor in Leics/Northants and any cruising will be limited to weekends or holidays.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the cut :)

2 hours ago, Tanukichan said:

Hi All

I'm a 50-something gongoozler who is looking to take the leap and become a liveaboard in 2019. I've been enjoying a few vlogs on YouTube and have now found this forum, so I should be well informed when the time comes to buy.

Sadly my job means I can't be a continuous cruiser just yet, so I'll be looking to buy and moor in Leics/Northants and any cruising will be limited to weekends or holidays.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the cut :)

Welcome to the forum, Tanukichan.

The members here love chatting about buying boats so you should find lots of helpful advice, but there's also lots of interesting stuff to be found in the older posts so having a rummage about using the search function can be really worth while. 

Good luck 

Tumsh. 

2 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Welcome to the forum, Tanukichan.

The members here love chatting about buying boats so you should find lots of helpful advice, but there's also lots of interesting stuff to be found in the older posts so having a rummage about using the search function can be really worth while. 

Good luck 

Tumsh. 

Thanks.

Already picking up some useful nuggets :)