Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

On 21/05/2018 at 20:27, Earthwatcher said:

Looking back at that thread it's amazing how people, presumably many with their own boats or they wouldn't be here, try to put you off. I've been a sailor for many years but my wife won't go to sea and I thought narrow-boating would be a thing we could do together in our retirement/semi-retirement since we both enjoyed narrow boat holidays in our youth. It all started with house-searching as I had itchy feet to move but, for the kind of house we've been looking at, moving costs and taxes were going to be around £80,000. That's a lot of dosh to throw away, particularly when you're happy in your existing house. The thing is, I bought a working Springer Spaniel around Christmas and, since he needs a lot of walking, I thought somewhere a little more rural would be better. So the new dog has led all this thinking, and quite literally so on a recent walk since, at his whim, we turned left over the canal bridge rather than right, as we usually do. This took us past the new canal basin. On the way home I called in and chatted to the owner who gave me some mooring prices. I can't deny I have these Mr Toad moments and this was one of them. But I'm not rash. I chatted with my wife and she seemed interested, so I booked a short-notice holiday on the Llangollen Canal and we really enjoyed it. The dogs enjoyed it too (we also have a Jack Russell). I like the idea of exploring the canal network, and come from the North of England originally, so wouldn't want to just potter down to Godalming and back. I agree that boats can be a money pit, but what's the alternative? A finance man has put a lot of our capital in to funds that, quite honestly, are pretty bloody boring. I spend about 30 days a year salmon fishing and narrow boating can't possibly be as barmy as that. We have three grown-up sons with wives who live not so far away. I thought a boat could be something they could enjoy too. One of them is extremely practical and understands boat electrics so he could hold my hand on that one. Also I don't want to fly around the world ticking off bucket lists, I've done lots of that, and there's nothing on telly so I wouldn't miss that. Furthermore, during our week on the Llangollen Canal we spoke to more people than I would chat to in a year in our Surrey neighbourhood. I loved the slowness of it all and fetching up at different places and chatting to people about their own choices and lifestyles. Still, it's all to play for, and I've no doubt I can be talked out of the idea.

Until 4 years ago we lived in Surrey. When I retired I Googled "canalside houses with moorings". There are usually half a dozen reasonably priced ones with moorings capable of taking a 60 foot boat.

Sold the Surrey house and bought our present (larger) house in Staffordshire, because of the price differential between the two counties, we bought the boat and paid the moving fees with the proceeds. Also having an end of garden mooring saves around £2000-£2500 per annum in mooring fees, despite having to pay CRT for the privilege.

We enjoy a much better quality and I talk to loads more people than I ever did in Surrey. The only downside is we could never afford to move back, not that we would want to.

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Until 4 years ago we lived in Surrey. When I retired I Googled "canalside houses with moorings". There are usually half a dozen reasonably priced ones with moorings capable of taking a 60 foot boat.

Sold the Surrey house and bought our present (larger) house in Staffordshire, because of the price differential between the two counties, we bought the boat and paid the moving fees with the proceeds. Also having an end of garden mooring saves around £2000-£2500 per annum in mooring fees, despite having to pay CRT for the privilege.

We enjoy a much better quality and I talk to loads more people than I ever did in Surrey. The only downside is we could never afford to move back, not that we would want to.

That seems an excellent idea, will Google same. I do like the notion of a boat at the bottom of the garden. Anyone who has negotiated the New Marton top lock on the Llangollen Canal is likely to have come across the delightful lady who lives in the old lock keeper's house. She and her partner own a small narrow boat moored close to the nearby bridge by land they own, so they can keep an eye on it every day. As she said: "Some people in lock-side houses grow high hedges to shield them from the narrow boat traffic. The first thing I did was to pull ours out." She proved a mine of info about canal life. I also saw her helping people at the locks. If this is how it is in narrow-boating I'd like to find a few more such windows in a society swamped by so much cynicism.

2 hours ago, Earthwatcher said:

That seems an excellent idea, will Google same. I do like the notion of a boat at the bottom of the garden. Anyone who has negotiated the New Marton top lock on the Llangollen Canal is likely to have come across the delightful lady who lives in the old lock keeper's house. She and her partner own a small narrow boat moored close to the nearby bridge by land they own, so they can keep an eye on it every day. As she said: "Some people in lock-side houses grow high hedges to shield them from the narrow boat traffic. The first thing I did was to pull ours out." She proved a mine of info about canal life. I also saw her helping people at the locks. If this is how it is in narrow-boating I'd like to find a few more such windows in a society swamped by so much cynicism.

When we bought our house there were 21 conifers planted along the canal edge.

I had to apply to CRT for permission to develop an end of garden mooring (accompanied by a letter from the seller giving his permission to apply), as i didnt want to buy and then find i couldnt get permission to moor. 3 months later CRT finally gave permission, stating rather obviously that the conifers must be removed. The only stipulation was that they wanted photographic evidence that the conifers must be removed out of bird nesting season (1st March to end of August). I decided to buy. We moved in on 28th February 2014, fortunately February had 29 days that year so I had arranged for a local tree surgeon to remove them on the 29th and sent the CRT moorings manager the photos as soon as they were down. ?

Edited by cuthound
Grandma

On 22/05/2018 at 10:19, Earthwatcher said:

I hate it where genuinely interesting threads are interrupted by name calling, ego-boosting, know-alls, post-addicts, last worders and over-sensitive types who think you're inforadig

Run away, run away... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I was an active member of the CW Forum about 10 years ago. After years of caring for old mum and Grandchildren, the old dreams of buying a narrowboat are resurfacing. I’ve holidayed with families often on various bits of the system and in all weathers. As I live in West Sussex I’m looking probably in the K&A area. Ken, my friend will join me as we intend to make some progress around the system for the greater part of the fair weather months. 

Just the paperwork to sort after Mum sadly died....and then we will be off boat hunting ?

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:29, cuthound said:

...  We moved in on 28th February 2014, fortunately February had 29 days that year ...

Only if you were working on a different calendar to the rest of us ! :D

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

42 = the answer to life, the universe and everything

But not in this case... 40 & 44... but I’ll be long gone so won’t care...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello their, My name is Jack. Im 21 years old, Sorry juvenile delinquent alert!!! ??

Im a horticulturalist ?, and im looking into potentially purchasing a narrow boat for myself to live aboard in the next few years after some hardcore saving up! 

Its quite likely that ill be asking some pretty Dumb questions - sorry! Im still learning stuff :P

Im looking forward into partaking into some interesting discussions about fridges and washing machines, and what engine is most likely not to break down 10 minuets into ownership :)

1 hour ago, 1233jackb said:

Hello their, My name is Jack. Im 21 years old, Sorry juvenile delinquent alert!!! ??

Im a horticulturalist ?, and im looking into potentially purchasing a narrow boat for myself to live aboard in the next few years after some hardcore saving up! 

Its quite likely that ill be asking some pretty Dumb questions - sorry! Im still learning stuff :P

Im looking forward into partaking into some interesting discussions about fridges and washing machines, and what engine is most likely not to break down 10 minuets into ownership :)

Welcome, this is the place for dumb questions and sometimes, dumb answers.

Hi, I’m JB, an American who’s setting out on his 1st narrowboat trip in a month, and doing it the hard way!

- I’ll be afloat for a month

- and alone for most of that time.

I’ve already posted in General about my plans to do Fairport’s Convention in Cropredy, but in general, I’m going in to this as an eager, under-educated (but I still have a few weeks to study!), good-natured fool. :)

I can’t even guess most of what I don’t even know to ask yet.

But I’m very VERY excited by this whole thing.

Notes: The boat is 27’, and it’s for sale as my Aunt has reached the age where she feels it’s time to stay on land full time. Part of the deal I’ve got on using it is that I show it to any interested potential buyers. I’m working on getting details of the listing and will be happy to share them if anyone’s interested.

Hi, all!!

So...My business partner went to a pub (The Boat in Berkhamstead - Lovely if you are ever in the area), had a couple fo pints....went for a walk along the canal and, er bought a boat!

She is an 1974 Eastwood 24 and we are both excited and terrified in equal measure!

The plan is for her to become a little project, somewhere to take the kids, friends and family on the weekends and generally learn and have fun. 

• Greenie 1

On 22/06/2018 at 02:14, JB Segal said:

Hi, I’m JB, an American who’s setting out on his 1st narrowboat trip in a month, and doing it the hard way!

- I’ll be afloat for a month

- and alone for most of that time.

I’ve already posted in General about my plans to do Fairport’s Convention in Cropredy, but in general, I’m going in to this as an eager, under-educated (but I still have a few weeks to study!), good-natured fool. :)

I can’t even guess most of what I don’t even know to ask yet.

But I’m very VERY excited by this whole thing.

Notes: The boat is 27’, and it’s for sale as my Aunt has reached the age where she feels it’s time to stay on land full time. Part of the deal I’ve got on using it is that I show it to any interested potential buyers. I’m working on getting details of the listing and will be happy to share them if anyone’s interested.

Hi, all!!

Good luck with your trip. A month is a nice period to get used to a boat and take in some of the sights.

4 minutes ago, JamieClaret said:

So...My business partner went to a pub (The Boat in Berkhamstead - Lovely if you are ever in the area), had a couple fo pints....went for a walk along the canal and, er bought a boat!

She is an 1974 Eastwood 24 and we are both excited and terrified in equal measure!

The plan is for her to become a little project, somewhere to take the kids, friends and family on the weekends and generally learn and have fun. 

Hope all goes well, its an adventure that I'm sure you'll enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I've just rented my first narrow boat in my own name in London and I've got a few little concerns. Does anyone have a fear of sinking at all? And how much water under the engine at the back is acceptable? Did I make the right decision? Haha peace and love x X x

49 minutes ago, Blue Haired Girl said:

Hi everyone! I've just rented my first narrow boat in my own name in London and I've got a few little concerns. Does anyone have a fear of sinking at all? And how much water under the engine at the back is acceptable? Did I make the right decision? Haha peace and love x X x

Welcome to living on water.

Your primary concerns should be, is the documentation all correct, (otherwise if it sinks you have no insurance and lose everything) and that the boat meets all safety requirements.

Ask the Landlord (Boatlord) to show you :

1) The Gas Safe certificate showing the boat has been tested in accordance with the GSIUR regulations.

2) The Boat safety certificate which should be conducted to the higher level 2002 'commercial' hire boat standards (not the 2015 Leisure standards)

3) The C&RT licence must be a 'commercial Boat licence' (not a leisure licence)

4) The Insurance stating that it is a boat for 'hire or reward'

Do you have an official mooring or are your expected to move every 14 days ? 

What conditions has your boatlord given you ?

There are so many 'rouge boatlords' operating in London renting out unsafe boats, Air BnB etc that are deathtraps (gas leaks, fumes, etc etc) and C&RT are trying to tighten up on them but as one is closed down another springs up - this is worse than renting out spare rooms or sheds as at least they are unlikely to sink.

On 17/06/2018 at 17:53, 1233jackb said:

Sorry only just read the thread.

The answer to the engine question is one that is a diesel and  has been well looked after, starts easily from cold, produces little smoke when running develops enough power and consumes betenn1 and 2 litres per hour on canal work. However be aware that some/one engine marinser thinks all boat owners are near millionaires so if you need anything that is branded you paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. Service items can usually be obtained at far less cost.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

We are Steve and Sandra, living in North Wales. Hired in the past, but as we approach early retirement looking to take on a boat full time, so many questions, just starting to go through the 87 pages on this topic! Occasional personal use/hiring out, looking for advice and pitfalls.

Looking at buying next year and see how we go from there. Loads more questions to come.

Thanks

• Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/08/2018 at 18:34, steve joyce said:

Hi all,

We are Steve and Sandra, living in North Wales. Hired in the past, but as we approach early retirement looking to take on a boat full time, so many questions, just starting to go through the 87 pages on this topic! Occasional personal use/hiring out, looking for advice and pitfalls.

Looking at buying next year and see how we go from there. Loads more questions to come.

Thanks

Well we have just done it we are now liveaboards on our 60ft semi-trad.

All going well, 

My tips.

1.Get used to spiders

2.Learn to duck your head when entering and leaving the boat.

3. Do the RYA IWHC boat handling course.

4. Make sure you have a spare cylinder of gas.

5. Get your engine and Heater serviced in the summer ready for winter.

6. Get a survey done and if you can get it blacked and all other out of water jobs done at the same time ( new anodes, top/bottom tiller bearing replaced and prop shaft replaced if required as its expensive to pull a boat out for such repairs)

6. Get safety critical things checked smoke alarms, extinguisher, gas equipment etc.. anything that if not working could kill.

Regards Matt 

21 hours ago, Matthew77 said:

Well we have just done it we are now liveaboards on our 60ft semi-trad.

All going well, 

My tips.

1.Get used to spiders

2.Learn to duck your head when entering and leaving the boat.

3. Do the RYA IWHC boat handling course.

4. Make sure you have a spare cylinder of gas.

5. Get your engine and Heater serviced in the summer ready for winter.

6. Get a survey done and if you can get it blacked and all other out of water jobs done at the same time ( new anodes, top/bottom tiller bearing replaced and prop shaft replaced if required as its expensive to pull a boat out for such repairs)

6. Get safety critical things checked smoke alarms, extinguisher, gas equipment etc.. anything that if not working could kill.

Regards Matt 

Matt thanks for the reply, especially about spiders!!

We spent a day around local boatyards and marinas, with the intention of buying a boat to rent out and use ourselves, but the costs of the extras for renting out are huge, so any future plans will be for our use only, it would be a lot cheaper. So for now we are going to dip out and revisit the purchase of a boat in a couple of years, thanks again for the advice and have a great time.

Steve