Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, bodysnatcher said:

Hi I'm Alastair,

A couple of months ago me and my wife June bought our first boat. It is a narrowboat but not a proper one. I doubt we would ever be able to afford a good STEEL one, so we bought a 32ft GRP [I can hear the booing and hissing already] Highbridge. I think I paid over the odds for it but I had a time constraint and had just missed 2 the previous month [none have come up since].

The boat is I think 1982 ish and although quite original, it has been un-loved even neglected for the last few years and we are hoping to get it back up to scratch in time. BUT I'm new to boats and very much a novice at DIY. I WILL have lots of stupid very basic questions the first one of is,

I have made up 2 seats/steps for the front well deck out of Buffalo board. I have searched the forum and found that I should use epoxy to seal the edges [great].

Would that be epoxy paint, epoxy glue, epoxy fiberglass resin, epoxy sealer or do I just go into B+Q and ask for a big tin of Epoxy and they'll give me the right stuff

THANKS for any advice

Alastair

Welcome, you will be treated to applause, ridicule, complacency and I hope many laughs and great advice- Mr Trump may lack the last bit (or not!).

On Tue Feb 28 2017 at 09:10, Saffi said:

NB we are buying has pump out toilet is it worth spending approx £300 on pump out kit or just visit marinas?

No get rid of the smelly tank and buy 3 Elsan Cassettes, then enjoy moving your boat all year around while traveling to Elsan Holes.

Pump out tanks Stink of sh1t and sick.

I feel very rewarded when my cassettes are empty. (But am kinda strange)

Enjoy your boating :-)

4 hours ago, bodysnatcher said:

Hi I'm Alastair,

A couple of months ago me and my wife June bought our first boat. It is a narrowboat but not a proper one. I doubt we would ever be able to afford a good STEEL one, so we bought a 32ft GRP [I can hear the booing and hissing already] Highbridge. I think I paid over the odds for it but I had a time constraint and had just missed 2 the previous month [none have come up since].

The boat is I think 1982 ish and although quite original, it has been un-loved even neglected for the last few years and we are hoping to get it back up to scratch in time. BUT I'm new to boats and very much a novice at DIY. I WILL have lots of stupid very basic questions the first one of is,

I have made up 2 seats/steps for the front well deck out of Buffalo board. I have searched the forum and found that I should use epoxy to seal the edges [great].

Would that be epoxy paint, epoxy glue, epoxy fiberglass resin, epoxy sealer or do I just go into B+Q and ask for a big tin of Epoxy and they'll give me the right stuff

THANKS for any advice

Alastair

It matters not what you use just as long as you seal the edge to prevent ingress of water . Nowt wrong with a Highbridge and oh yes welcome

Phil 

9 hours ago, brassedoff said:

No get rid of the smelly tank and buy 3 Elsan Cassettes, then enjoy moving your boat all year around while traveling to Elsan Holes.

Pump out tanks Stink of sh1t and sick.

I feel very rewarded when my cassettes are empty. (But am kinda strange)

Enjoy your boating :-)

We had full kit on the Nene years ago incl long flat (firemans type) hoses etc - so from experience - using pump out kit is pretty crap (someone had to say it!) the only good place to store it all is on the roof cos it smells so that's even worse and then people will assume you occasionally pump out where you shouldn't so I would leave it well alone.

Some swear by Endsel,a product designed for sealing end grain. I think Screwfix & Toolstation stock it. I used some West Systems Epoxy but then I had it already. I think you may have to google for stockists. It will come in two parts that you mix in the correct proportions and have limited time before it hardens. if you use Epoxy it will stay workable longer if you mix it and work from a large area container and keep the amount you mix to the minimum. Keeping it shallow helps to slow the heating effect of the catalyst.

I think you  would do just as well with polyester GRP resin form your local car spares place.

12 hours ago, bodysnatcher said:

Thanks Tony, will lookout for Endsel and if not will just use fibreglass resin. THANKS again

I kind if think that's what I said in my post " it doesn't matter what you use as long as you prevent the ingress of water "

Phil 

Hi all,

very new to boating! we have just last week taken delivery of an Aintree Beetle 25ft from their yard. I would be interested to know if there any Beetle owners on here or other small narrowboat owners?

cheers

wayne

• 2 months later...

Hiya Guys,

I am new to the forum and the Narrow boating scene. I have owned Fishing boats and a Yacht before but am looking fwd to getting my first NB. I really like Semi Trand Tugs with Lister or Gardner engines and traditional boat-mans cabin, Hopefully I can find something that suits my taste and pocket before 2019. I like reading through the all the threads for info on narrow boats, they are a great source of information and knowledge. Thanks to each and every member for their contribution to help us noobies out  :)

Kevin.

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, kevinm said:

Hiya Guys,

I am new to the forum and the Narrow boating scene. I have owned Fishing boats and a Yacht before but am looking fwd to getting my first NB. I really like Semi Trand Tugs with Lister or Gardner engines and traditional boat-mans cabin, Hopefully I can find something that suits my taste and pocket before 2019. I like reading through the all the threads for info on narrow boats, they are a great source of information and knowledge. Thanks to each and every member for their contribution to help us noobies out  :)

Kevin.

Welcome to the wonderful world of inland boating Kevin.

Likewise, welcome, but A semi-trad with a boatman's cabin and a Lister or Gardiner engine seems an odd mixture to me. Semi-trad usually means engine at the back under the "cockpit" floorboards is not where one usually finds Gardiners or the larger Listers normally associated with trad boats with a boatman's cabin. Still best of luck with your search.

Edited by Tony Brooks

56 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Likewise, welcome, but A semi-trad with a boatman's cabin and a Lister or Gardiner engine seems an odd mixture to me. Semi-trad usually means engine at the back under the "cockpit" floorboards is not where one usually finds Gardiners or the larger Listers normally associated with trad boats with a boatman's cabin. Still best of luck with your search.

In fact I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a semi-trad with a Boatman’s Cabin. 

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I wonder if Kevinm thinks that tread sterned boat with a more or less full length cabin is called a semi-trad rather that what is in effect a cruiser sterned boat with extended cabin sides.

Perhaps this may help...

https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/useful-info/narrowboat-basics.aspx

@kevinm

Hi all, my Name is Dirk and I live in Munich, Germany. I'm thinking about getting a boat (of some sorts) and living on it once I'm retired (still 15-ish years to go). Just recently I was aware of the british canals and their narrowboats. As my spring holiday comes up anyway, I decided to give the narrowboating a try and I booked a boat for a fortnight starting end of June. Let's see how I like it :)

11 hours ago, rawsondsr said:

Hello, name's Dave, and just started the buying process of my first nb - survey done, negotiations to come!  

Scary , but good scary!

Welcome Dave. Enjoy your new acquisition?

2 hours ago, Deltatango said:

Hi all, my Name is Dirk and I live in Munich, Germany. I'm thinking about getting a boat (of some sorts) and living on it once I'm retired (still 15-ish years to go). Just recently I was aware of the british canals and their narrowboats. As my spring holiday comes up anyway, I decided to give the narrowboating a try and I booked a boat for a fortnight starting end of June. Let's see how I like it :)

Welcome Dirk. In my experience most people who try a holiday on a narrowboat either love it or hate it.

Very few people seem to be able to do it occasionally. It either becomes an obsession or something never to do again!

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Very few people seem to be able to do it occasionally. It either becomes an obsession or something never to do again!

Am already afraid it becomes an obsession :) After all there's more than 200 miles of canal to visit. And if  I find some crew to share the hire fee, it is even cheaper (at least not more expensive) than the usual (spanish island beach) holiday.

• Greenie 1

Guys,

Thanks for pointing that semi-trad mix up out  :)

Guess what I mean is a Trad tug conversion then with about 10 foot of tug deck at the fwd end the rest being converted to accommodation to incl an engine room and a boat-mans cabin.

Still getting to grips with the terminology.