Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Honest Walt said:

Hi all.  New member here.  Is this the right place to introduce myself?  If not, please move/delete as necessary.

We are not on the water yet but we have the house up for sale (currently sold STC).  Our long term aim is to fit out our own narrowboat and become continuous cruisers.  In the short term I still have two years to do at a school on the Devon/Somerset border.

We are currently looking at options for those two years - undoubtedly I'll be asking for advice!

Jack

If you have sold the house do you plan to live on the boat while you fit it out?

Hi Brian

We would probably aim to rent a house for a couple of months while we buy a suitable boat and get it in a "livable-in" state.  We'd then live on it while we completed the work.

we are not planning anything solid until contracts are exchanged though!

Jack

Hello everyone, My name is Dave I am 53, live in Hertfordshire and work for the NHS.i have been thinking of buying a boat for a year or so having attended the crick boat show for a couple of years the whole thing of owning and living aboard really dies appeal. I will be looking to buy a project boat in the next few months, as fortunately for me i have a mate that is extremely handy and does  refurbishment work, mainly wood work, if there is a job he can't and if he can't do, he usually knows of a person that can. I will be using the search to do some research, as there seems to be a wealth of information. 

Cheers All 

Davec

Edited by Dave V
typo

My name's Piers. I lived on a narrowboat years ago, just moored up, but I loved it...  not so much when the heating broke when the canal was frozen over. A few interesting nights, and mornings scraping ice off the inside of the windows (no solid fuel stove!!)... Bit it didn't put me off, and i promised myself I'd do it again one day. And that day is now

I've already had some useful feedback on a thread I started regarding what boat will be best for me, and I'm now trawling ads, but want to get on the water before summer's out...

Hellooo my name is robbie, wouldn't say i was new to boating as ive hired before (yeah i was one of them...) but recently my dad bought me my own place...

ALLY'S MIST!!!

My partner and i have been liveaboards for just over a month, and we already have our battle scars so to speak. Would love a pow wow with a veteran boater as im very shakey and have a few things i want to change/improve about her.

Image 1 is us the day we boarded. Image 2 is pretty much the work load in a nutshell.

received_10210322244116850.jpeg

received_10210322244356856.jpeg

9 hours ago, Theonlymalewhodoesthelocks said:

...Image 1 is us the day we boarded. Image 2 is pretty much the work load in a nutshell...

Please explain. As image 2 is taken (apparently on the same day and in the same place?) with you getting aboard, you seem to be implying that your partner standing on the towpath has her doubts about the wisdom of this boating malarkey.

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

Please explain. As image 2 is taken (apparently on the same day and in the same place?) with you getting aboard, you seem to be implying that your partner standing on the towpath has her doubts about the wisdom of this boating malarkey.

They are both in the same place, what I was implying Is I'm currently rolling up the rope while she watches which is pretty much how all the work gets done. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Where are you?

We were on the grand union just past bridge 21 opposite an expensive pub called the boat inn

5 minutes ago, Theonlymalewhodoesthelocks said:

They are both in the same place, what I was implying Is I'm currently rolling up the rope while she watches which is pretty much how all the work gets done. 

Perhaps your partner lacks the confidence/ability. Maybe a helmsman course,or team up with an experienced couple through some locks could help.

You are in the honeymoon period with good weather at the moment.It will be a long Winter for you both if you don't work together.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Perhaps your partner lacks the confidence/ability. Maybe a helmsman course,or team up with an experienced couple through some locks could help.

You are in the honeymoon period with good weather at the moment.It will be a long Winter for you both if you don't work together.

It was meant to be a joke, she does her fair share hence the name she drives while I do the locks and she cleans up too

On 18/07/2017 at 11:51, rusty69 said:

Oh, ok,I got the wrong end of the stick:)

How DO you spot the wrong end of a stick.....unless it smells, looks sharp, is burning or has a self detonating charge attached... I mean, given a good old British countryside stick, which end and how do you decide to grab? :huh:

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

How DO you spot the wrong end of a stick.....unless it smells, looks sharp, is burning or has a self detonating charge attached... I mean, given a good old British countryside stick, which end and how do you decide to grab? :huh:

The one with no sh@t on the end

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Have you got that boat yet? 

I can't comment on that just yet......but maybe, just maybe, I will be on with a major update on Monday ;)

....don't want any last second hitches.....not been a smooth ride but!

....I know you will all disown & ignore me but!!....I NEED A HOME!!!!!!! :D

....once afloat I can stay afloat.....or get harpooned by a lost whaling ship :huh:

1 minute ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I can't comment on that just yet......but maybe, just maybe, I will be on with a major update on Monday ;)

....don't want any last second hitches.....not been a smooth ride but!

....I know you will all disown & ignore me but!!....I NEED A HOME!!!!!!! :D

....once afloat I can stay afloat.....or get harpooned by a lost whaling ship :huh:

Ok, good luck with it. 

3 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Will be back soon to plague you with stupid questions :cheers:

Actually - quick question....which thread is good for finding a novices mate for the first few days of single handed + Dadin tow?

Have spent a lot of time up and down the Thames on a short nb and also a wide beam but been a while, so some basics in training while running would be good.

will be heading from Cheshire towards Worcester in August

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I've still got plenty of stupid answers! 

Glad to hear it :cheers:

5 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Actually - quick question....which thread is good for finding a novices mate for the first few days of single handed + Dadin tow?

I expect when you amaze the forum with tales of your new boat in a brand new thread with all the details, that would be a good time to ask. 

Someone in the area may be able to help out for a morning /afternoon (that's probably all you will need) 

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I expect when you amaze the forum with tales of your new boat in a brand new thread with all the details, that would be a good time to ask. 

Someone in the area may be able to help out for a morning /afternoon (that's probably all you will need) 

Hmmmm....not sure amaze will be the reaction ......but hopefully I will be on the edge of a community, yet to prove myself at the tiller.....and if in 18 years, if I last that long....not...., I can finally move into the, almost crew :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Youtube Gongoozler here. I have loved all the Youtube canal boat videos from Dan on Narrowboat Tilly to Cruising the Cut and Journey with Jono. Always interested in boats, used to race dinghies (Streaker and Lightning 368), passed my basic level Canoe/Kayak course a year or two ago and have lived within 200m of the cut for the past 15yrs and for years. I am definitely selling up but the choice is between living on the cut or a small flat in Ryde (on the Isle of Wight). I'm looking forward to reading the forums, asking stupid/impertinent questions and generally getting some good advice...