Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

I bought a pump out kit and used it twice....

Firstly it had layflat hose on the output side - which meant cleaning it out after use was very unpleasant

Secondly with any hose and particularly layflat - it thrashes around and 'somebody' has to hold it in place at the discharge point

More importantly there are (generally) very few places where you can 'legally' pump out.

So the short answer is don't bother unless you have a strategy in place to resolve the above.

I have a pump laying in the shed that I bought 15 years ago, I have never used it to pump the toilet tank, the mice have eaten the lay flat hose.

48 minutes ago, Saffi said:

Thanks point taken who can tell me best way of checking emails with out visiting marina or pubs?

A smartphone is a good option.

Or a tablet/laptop/computer connected via a router (or mifi) with a data sim.

Scrub that, I didn't see the WIFI bit (or you added it after I replied)

Edited by rusty69

8 hours ago, Saffi said:

Thanks point taken who can tell me best way of checking emails with out visiting marina or pubs? For wifi

I don't see how you can check emails without using some form of connection to the internet. I assume visiting local libraries si also out.

I think most of us either tether a mobile or use a dongle or MIFI device to get internet via the mobile phone network. I use a 4G mifi unit on 3, my son uses a 2G one on Vodaphone. There are some dead spots but nowhere near as many as you may think nowadays. If you use BT internet at home you may be able to pick up BT Fon from close by domestic BT customers.

13 minutes ago, Saffi said:

Thank you has been helpfull

If you do decide to go the data sim route (as opposed to wifi hotspots),and want a fair chunk of data each month, then this is a pretty good deal imo (subject ,of course to signal availability):-

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/32gb-4g-data-simo-half-price-now-14-50pm-ee-rolling-contract-2625582

Edited by rusty69

22 minutes ago, Saffi said:

Thank u is it time restricted ? Looks Excellant value for money

I think the offer ends on the 7Th March. The data is on a monthly rolling contract. What you don't use in the in the month is lost, and the data allowance reset.

There is another thread somewhere. Watch the billing closely in the first month, they have a habit of messing it up!

Edited by rusty69

• 3 weeks later...

Yup we sure are, well not really I've been boating for 20 years or so, but we are new to ownership !!!

We currently have made an offer for a narrowboat, as we need a bolthole from work.

Will report back as to how we progress along the waterways.

Jem'n'Kaz

hi everyone my name is 

steve.

i am new to boating as i bought my boat on the 10/march it still needs sorting out a bit as it was bought as a project

i have been looking at the ww mags and found that on june 11 and may the 11 they done an article on a diy sofa /bed

has anyone got a copy of the designs as i really need to make one i think it may be possible to email me but i am not sure

thanks in advance

Hi All, 

After years of talking about it me and my partner Grace are finally about to embark on our life afloat. We're soon to move on to our beautiful 50ft Trad Colecraft. 

It's reassuring to see this great community here to turn to when the going gets tough, or we just need a good pub recommendation! 

See you around! 

Hi all, just got my first boat after dreaming and Gongozzling for the last 20 years, so thought I would join here and introduce myself. 

My names Aj I'm 41 and need some advise, dose anyone know someone around Banbury- long Itchington area that supplies and fits Victron inverters and solar systems to boats, also galvanic isolators. Do I need one? 

Finally, multi fule stoves, any advise on good models and people who install them in the Banbury- long Itchington area? 

Thanks for your time, hope to see you all on the water soon 

Aj 

1 hour ago, Marley Blue 6 said:

Hi all, just got my first boat after dreaming and Gongozzling for the last 20 years, so thought I would join here and introduce myself. 

My names Aj I'm 41 and need some advise, dose anyone know someone around Banbury- long Itchington area that supplies and fits Victron inverters and solar systems to boats, also galvanic isolators. Do I need one? 

Finally, multi fule stoves, any advise on good models and people who install them in the Banbury- long Itchington area? 

Aj 

If you NEVER use a shoreline for onboard 240V AC then you do not need a GI or isolation transformer. If you do use a shoreline they are not mandatory but under certain conditions your hull could get eaten away.

1 hour ago, Marley Blue 6 said:

Aj 

Dave Reynolds, moors just outside Calcutt Marina on the GU, not at Stockton Top Marina as his web site suggests.

http://narrowboatelectrics.co.uk/

Edited by Ray T

On 22/03/2017 at 19:08, steve 24 said:

hi everyone my name is 

steve.

i am new to boating as i bought my boat on the 10/march it still needs sorting out a bit as it was bought as a project

i have been looking at the ww mags and found that on june 11 and may the 11 they done an article on a diy sofa /bed

has anyone got a copy of the designs as i really need to make one i think it may be possible to email me but i am not sure

thanks in advance

Hello everyone,

I have been enjoying browsing the content on the forum and adding a couple of comments...  Tomorrow I have the handover of Tichitoro, a 43 foot Piper narrowboat to look forward to!

The survey indicated overplating needed on the base and a few other details, not terminal by any means but quite expensive :)  I had a lovely chat with Martyn Kedion yesterday who was very positive and will be doing the work for me when workshop space becomes available.

We anticipate moving Tich from Heritage Narrowboats marina to her mooring on Shutts Green (only 52 miles and 31 locks - should do it in a week!) a week on Saturday - should be fun as the last time I was behind a tiller was nearly 40 years ago :blink:  If any of the skilled members just happen to be passing next Saturday lunchtime we'd really appreciate some hand-holding...

Looking forward to joining life in the slow lane...

David & Trudi