Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Our border terriers name is Moose, so that makes me Moosey!

Me and my precious gift, (and the hound) have just started the looking process and this is an early thank you for all the info we have already gleaned from here.

We live in a small canal town in Staffs and have long time considered doing what you all have already done, it just makes sense.

Kids are nearly gone so the empty nest syndromes kicking in......

I look forward to interacting with you all in the coming days, weeks, months and years ....

ttfn

Big Moosey!!

Our border terriers name is Moose, so that makes me Moosey!

Me and my precious gift, (and the hound) have just started the looking process and this is an early thank you for all the info we have already gleaned from here.

We live in a small canal town in Staffs and have long time considered doing what you all have already done, it just makes sense.

Kids are nearly gone so the empty nest syndromes kicking in......

I look forward to interacting with you all in the coming days, weeks, months and years ....

ttfn

Big Moosey!!

Welcome to the forum Moosey

Hello all,

I've been active in a few posts already, and thank everyone for their vast knowledge and patient support, but I've held off on introducing myself here because I didn't want to 'jinx' the purchase of a boat and securing a mooring.

I'm moving back to the UK in a couple of months, having spent most of my adult life here (Perth, Australia). I decided to move back to the UK for the weather and the beaches. I'll be living at Limehouse Marina, London, which I'm told doesn't have any sharks, crocodiles, dropbears or killer jellyfish - so I'm looking forward to a relaxed lifestyle in which the primary spoken language isn't screaming.

Will post photos of my boat when the ink dries!

-Ed

Dropbears may not but redbacks do:

A native of Perth, Western Australia, Ralph Ernest (Slim) Newton came from a family of three boys. He is a man steeped in the tradition of authentic Australian country music, and draws inspiration from artists of the genre of Hank Williams and Slim Dusty.

Hi all, I am at present contemplating taking the plunge, and buying a narrow boat to live apon as it really appeals to me, i am however very new to the whole idea , seems a bit of a minefield, what to buy, how much to spend, and where to moore etc ..... ! I will try not to ask questions that have been asked thousands of time before, i will use the

' search' button whenever possible .

Cheers all.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, andy4502 said:

Hiya, Andy and Sarah, just bought a 44 ft on Mon and Brec. OMG!

Big step but hope its the right one, what are peoples thoughts about this canal?

I would love to have a holiday on it but in a hire boat.

My understanding is that it is rather shallow and it is not connected to the rest of the system nor is it ever likely to be. I think I would get stir crazy stuck on one isolated and comparatively short canal but really its what you think about it that counts.

12 hours ago, andy4502 said:

we do know that, I am working there so will be staying there during week on boat!! plan is to 'have a go' before deciding to keep and move to main network or buy something 'retirey' (not sure if that is a word but should be).

Do you have a mooring that will officially or unofficially allow you to do that? CaRT require you to move every 14 days or less if so signed and be on a significant journey if you register as a continuous cruiser without a home mooring. Even if they relax their enforcement on an isolated canal a bit I suspect poor public transport may make getting from boat to work difficult. Probably fine if you cycle.

2 minutes ago, canal254 said:

Hey everyone, my name is Mike, recently got myself a new boat after a couple of years of saving. I am so eager to experience this new boating life. I hope to learn lots of skills in here from experts and also get to learn from their challenges.

Great time of year to get started,just in time for the spring. 

Enjoy!

59 minutes ago, Saffi said:

NB we are buying has pump out toilet is it worth spending approx £300 on pump out kit or just visit marinas?

It depends what you wish to spend your money on? Some people mess about with home brewed beer and others dont if you see what I mean.

I bought a pump out kit and used it twice....

Firstly it had layflat hose on the output side - which meant cleaning it out after use was very unpleasant

Secondly with any hose and particularly layflat - it thrashes around and 'somebody' has to hold it in place at the discharge point

More importantly there are (generally) very few places where you can 'legally' pump out.

So the short answer is don't bother unless you have a strategy in place to resolve the above.