Dating Engines

furnessvale

Featured Posts

My new boat has a 2LW installed.

Does anyone have access to any means of dating this engine, either by serial number or otherwise?

Thanks,

George ex nb Alton retired (now Badger)

Ignore me. Wrong make of engine. :blush:

Edited by Rod a mod from Tod

Does anyone have access to any means of dating this engine, either by serial number or otherwise?

Thanks,

well ,if you quote the said number, it may help......... ;)

Ignore me. Wrong make of engine. :blush:

it is the RIGHT make of engine,so we will ignore you. :rolleyes:

Edited by matty40s

Thanks,

Hi,

Gardner Enthusiast used to do this but I'm not sure whether they still do.

You could contact the 'Anson Engine Museum' who may be able to help you but will charge a fee.

My 2LW (112695) is dated March 1957.

Hope that helps.

Leo.

Mine is 105962 and left the factory in late 1955 although it was not commissionned until 1956.

I got in touch with an organisation called something like the Industrial Engine Society, who not only discovered tese dates for me but also supplied me with a photo (now framed and hanging in my engine room) of a mining locomotive of the type in which my engine was originally installed. Unfortunately I no longer have the Society's details, but I'm sure that one of m'learned friends on here will know.

Thanks to all who replied.

I have managed to escape from house decorating to get to the boat. The serial number is 175833.

Judging from the two previous numbers quoted, it would appear to be quite a late engine, unless the numbering system changed.

George

Thanks to all who replied.

I have managed to escape from house decorating to get to the boat. The serial number is 175833.

Judging from the two previous numbers quoted, it would appear to be quite a late engine, unless the numbering system changed.

George

Yes indeed.

They were built until 1973, then revived in the 1990's. Yours may well be one of the later examples of the original (41 year) production run.

Thanks,

Drop Marine Power Services (info@marinepowerservices.co.uk) a line. Martyn has a load of Gardner date info. Tell him his dad sent you :rolleyes:

Drop Marine Power Services (info@marinepowerservices.co.uk) a line. Martyn has a load of Gardner date info. Tell him his dad sent you :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tipoff. I contacted Martyn and from info immediately to hand he was able to date it between April and November 1970, close enough to satisfy my curiosity.

George