Getting into the bank and out again in wind

Matt72

Featured Posts

well the theory is all well and good but only a few days ago on an exposed stretch of canal the wind has us firmly pinned to the bank.

I did the forward/tiller away from bank to push stern off and slap it into reverse to continue to swing the back out. but as soon as I engaged forward the bow simply rubbed along the bank and we crabbed down the canal - just couldn't get the bow away.

even tried the 50ft mad dash after pushing bow off... (more out of desparation than any hope of success).

Eventually had to resort to poling the front off and holding it with the pole whilst giving it some welly (tiller to the bank ) and then bringing tiller to mid ships/away from bank bit of scaping along bank at the back and then we were off.

I don't know what else we could have done.. (should add that Mrs A couldn't hold the pole /keep the bow off the bank against the wind ) but would welcome some advice if there is a better way...

Did consider the kettle option but the days are pretty short this time of year...

ETA to correct awful spelling

Edited by jonathanA

well the theory is all well and good but only a few days ago on an exposed stretch of canal the wind has us firmly pinned to the bank.

I did the forward/tiller away from bank to push stern off and slap it into reverse to continue to swing the back out. but as soon as I engaged forward the bow simply rubbed along the bank and we crabbed down the canal - just couldn't get the bow away.

even tried the 50ft mad dash after pushing bow off... (more out of desparation than any hope of success).

Eventually had to resort to poling the front off and holding it with the pole whilst giving it some welly (tiller to the bank ) and then bringing tiller to mid ships/away from bank bit of scaping along bank at the back and then we were off.

I don't know what else we could have done.. (should add that Mrs A couldn't hold the pole /keep the bow off the bank against the wind ) but would welcome some advice if there is a better way...

Did consider the kettle option but the days are pretty short this time of year...

ETA to correct awful spelling

Because a NB has no "shape" it's impossible to spring away from the bank in a really high wind. Other "boat shaped" boats can usually be persuaded to point their bow into the wind with not too much effort. I have a theory that boats like mine which has a very pronounced bow are easier to get away in the wind. I certainly have never had any problem, once the bow is pushed away she tends to continue in that direction. Most modern narrowboats have very "understated", low profile bows and I wonder if there is some aerodynamic effect going on with more old fashioned designs. I'm sure a cratch cover makes matters worse as well.

If I was on my own I would put her in forward on tickover, step off onto the bank run forward and give the bow a really good shove. There's no mad dash back to the stern as she's still moving forward. Even if there's a boat ahead I usually find I can shove her into the wind stationary anyway.

From what you say I don't think you could have done anything else. The pole is supposed to be used for this type of manoeuvre after all. I'd be interested though in whether you think my theory makes any sense.

• Greenie 1

If I was on my own I would put her in forward on tickover, step off onto the bank run forward and give the bow a really good shove. There's no mad dash back to the stern as she's still moving forward. Even if there's a boat ahead I usually find I can shove her into the wind stationary anyway.

I've done this and it doesn't work in a high wind. The bows are still back against the bank by the time you reach the steering position (unless you've got a really short boat, I suppose). I'd imagine the reverse off technique more likely to succeed, but I've never tried it, tbh, so my experience is limited to knowing that "shove off, run back", doesn't.

We have found that NC reverses much better into the wind. When we went out at the weekend there was quite a wind blowing down the marina. By the time i had unroped the stern and walked her a foot or two down the pontoon the bow had headed straight down the marina heading for the dead end. Luckily she reverses well into the wind so we could reverse out and turn to face the right way in open water.

Didnt help on the way back in through as we had a very heavy and undignified landing back on our mooring. The wind blew her directly in, luckily the fenders were at the right height. :rolleyes:

We have found that NC reverses much better into the wind. When we went out at the weekend there was quite a wind blowing down the marina. By the time i had unroped the stern and walked her a foot or two down the pontoon the bow had headed straight down the marina heading for the dead end. Luckily she reverses well into the wind so we could reverse out and turn to face the right way in open water.

Didnt help on the way back in through as we had a very heavy and undignified landing back on our mooring. The wind blew her directly in, luckily the fenders were at the right height. :rolleyes:

FITF - isn't that what you GRP owners say?

Because a NB has no "shape" it's impossible to spring away from the bank in a really high wind. Other "boat shaped" boats can usually be persuaded to point their bow into the wind with not too much effort. I have a theory that boats like mine which has a very pronounced bow are easier to get away in the wind. I certainly have never had any problem, once the bow is pushed away she tends to continue in that direction. Most modern narrowboats have very "understated", low profile bows and I wonder if there is some aerodynamic effect going on with more old fashioned designs. I'm sure a cratch cover makes matters worse as well.

From what you say I don't think you could have done anything else. The pole is supposed to be used for this type of manoeuvre after all. I'd be interested though in whether you think my theory makes any sense.

I can see how a cratch cover would just add to the 'sail' effect of a bigger cabin. I suppose in theory if the bow was the right shape and the wind from the right direction you might find the bow doesn't move when its pointed straight into the wind but in the case were talkiing about - here wind blowing more or less at 90 degrees to the boat I can't see how the shape of the bow would affect things compared to the big square sides of the cabin.

so far looks like using the pole was the right thing to do, don't know what I would have done if I'd been on my own...

thks

Chuck a grapnel hook out on a long line and pull the boat in from the boat,its bound to snag on something or other to get a hold, maybe a jogger.

Ha ha

the problem was getting off the towpath side - I did consider chucking a line across to the off side but it was a long way to next bridge... Grappling hook might have worked would probably have got a cow in the field ! (milk for the brew maybe!)

Jon

On the Leeds & Liverpool there's a stretch between Gargrave and Niffany bridge where the wind can really catch you at swing bridges, its always a struggle, I wait for a lull if possible and do my best, always get off eventually. I hope no-ones out today!

There will be someone out there somewhere on the move. There always is :rolleyes:

Of course the boatmen of old had to boat in all weathers. If you were wind bound, using two top planks, push the fore-end, and stern away from the bank (using a pole, or the top plank), and then with the end of the planks tied to the boat (the mast, and the back-end rail) place them in the water between bank and boat. Set off at a pace now the boat is in the middle of the cut, the planks will tow alongside, and when you reach the next bridge 'ole, stop and pull them in.

Not sure it would work with a small GRP, and as already mentioned, I would reverse off - even if it meant you were facing the wrong way, a small enough boat will turn easily back around the other way with the bow on the up wind side of the canal.

Cheers,

Mike