Lakeland Leisure - Tattenhall

Annabell 2

Featured Posts

I saw the Blue and Yellow Annabelle II heading south below Whilton on the GU in November.

It's unlikely to be the same boat anyway because I don't think a shared boat would fall foul of a "High Use" mooring fee. A shared boat spends so little time along side in the marina they should get a low use mooring fee!

The other peculiarity is that the poster Annabelle 2 says that his (or her) location is Nantwich. Nantwich just happens to be the location of BCBM's office.

I'm not sure what Allan is suggesting by that association, so here are some facts.

I was local manager for Ownerships at Tattenhall from the time it opened until the collapse of the company, I then ran the 'interim plan' there to help keep the boats cruising and subsequently became BCBM's area manager covering Tattenhall and other bases.

Annabelle II, the 55ft ex-Ownerships boat, was commissioned by owners through Ownerships. She was never based at Tattenhall - although she may have visited. At the time of the collapse, she was based at Heritage. She left there as soon as possible, as most shared ownership boats did, for the reasons most shared owners will know about. Her owners chose BCBM to manage their boat, and she moved to Nantwich for the rest of the season and then on to Hillmorton Wharf, where she is now based.

Although there are a number of boats on the inland waterways called Annabelle, Jim Shead's boat listing gives only one Annabelle II and no Annabelle 2.

BC Boat Management has its head office at Nantwich Canal Centre and its branch and finance office at Braunston Marina. BCBM Boat Share - the sister company that offers shares in syndicate-owned boats whether they are self-managed or managed by BCBM or any other company - is also based at Nantwich Canal Centre.

No-one associated with BCBM or BCBM Boat Share posts under a pseudonym. BCBM has a good working relationship with many marinas and workshops, including Tattenhall, but has no reason to promote any one of them in preference to another. From next spring, BCBM managed boats will be based at Reedley, Tattenhall, Nantwich, Overwater, Aston, Great Haywood, Hillmorton, Wigrams Turn and Lower Heyford - plus two bases on the Broads, France and the Mediterranean. In most cases, BCBM has been able to negotiate a preferential rate for mooring the boats it manages. The choice of base for any boat is entirely that of the syndicate.

If anyone has any questions about the way these two companies operate, please come along to the open days at Nantwich (3rd and 4th March) or the Braunston Boat Share Show (24th and 25th March). We will be delighted to see you and happy to answer your questions.

Edited by andrewcooley

I'm not sure what Allan is suggesting by that association, so here are some facts.

Annabelle II, the 55ft ex-Ownerships boat, was commissioned by owners through Ownerships. She was never based at Tattenhall - although she may have visited. At the time of the collapse, she was based at Heritage. She left there as soon as possible, as most shared ownership boats did, for the reasons most shared owners will know about. Her owners chose BCBM to manage their boat, and she moved to Nantwich for the rest of the season and then on to Hillmorton Wharf, where she is now based.

It's good to see you posting again Andrew. You haven't been visible anywhere for a while. I would like to make a small correction. Most shared boats did not leave Heritage after Ownerships collapse despite the owner of the site using strong arm tactics to get his money back. The year after the collapse there were still eight shared boats on the wharf. Mike Douse, the base manager, and his team at Heritage did everything within their power to help the boats that chose to remain at Heritage and the sevice received there was second to none.

We have since moved on to explore new waters but I would have no problem recommending Heritage to anyone based on the skill and high levels of service offered by the workforce.

Edited by Cheshire cat

but I would have no problem recommending Heritage to anyone based on the skill and high levels of service offered by the workforce.

As an ex-moorer there I would agree with that statement. They have this odd attitude towards their customers, they give a damn and will always give a helping hand when needed. We were sorry to leave there but had reasons nothing to do with them.

Richard

As I've said before I believe it is someone from Tattenhall management who stated writing this post. There is no such boat called Annebelle 2 - Only Annebelle II as far as I'm aware. They are probably using a psuedonym.

Tattenhall is probably now, one of the cheapest marina's around this area.

It's good to see you posting again Andrew. You haven't been visible anywhere for a while.

How kind. We were all a bit busy last year, and this year looks like being the same. I'm supposed to be retired and just working part time, but.... :)

... despite the owner of the site using strong arm tactics to get his money back...

Correction accepted - I didn't check the numbers.

I'm sure the work force at Heritage are splendid, but the owners - along with another yard - did try to persuade other marinas to adopt the same unhelpful and aggressive line. Fortunately they refused. That episode left a very unpleasant taste.

• 7 years later...

First of all apologies for resurrecting an old thread ..... Shoot me if you want.

Does anybody here have any comment to add to the current situation at Tattenhall Marina , There seems to be a new management philosophy whereby they do seem to think it is acceptable to hike the bollard electricity prices up by 50% and then tamper with the meters making a change from 12PPU to 18PPU this after the prepay card has been registered. Additionally they have taken the free lift facility away from  the agreed twelve month  agreement  again without telling anyone.

Recently appointed Marina Manager has left...

On site cafe prices though the roof ...

etc etc 

Generally there is a lot of unrest and boats moving out..... Just wondering if news has filtered elsewhere at all.

Andy

43 minutes ago, andybarrett1 said:

There seems to be a new management philosophy whereby they do seem to think it is acceptable to hike the bollard electricity prices up by 50% and then tamper with the meters making a change from 12PPU to 18PPU this after the prepay card has been registered.

They can only (by law) charge electricity prices the same as they are paying themselves.

They can charge a 'surcharge' to cover the cost of installing and maintain the infrastructure.

They may well have had a big increase in electricity charges as one contract runs out and another comes into force. (We have)

You can quite legally go and ask to see their bills from the electricity supplier to ensure they are not charging more than they are paying and to ask for a breakdown of the costs + surcharge.

We spent £30,000 installing the infrastructure and charge a 'premium' of £35 per unit per year, it is crazy really as with 12 units it will take 71 years to get our investment back (let alone recover the lost interest) Some sites will add (say) 5p per unit for recovery of service provision costs.

'Bollard users' have no comprehension of the costs involved in the provision of power, maintenance of broken bollards, electricity inspections etc etc.

Isn't :

.....hike the bollard electricity prices up by 50%

exactly the same as :

making a change from 12PPU to 18PPU

Are you trying to double count ?

The fact someone has bought a (say) £10 card does not make any difference.

If the price goes up from (say) May 1st on a new contract that's the way it is.

You may find this a useful 'read'

BWML and the recharging of electricity to our customers MASTER DOC 23-02-2017 VSH.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You may find this a useful 'read'

The point here is regardless of my ranting (sic).   Tattenhall management  did not on any count tell us moorers that this was happening or planned.

That seems in contrast to be a well written informative document,  Maybe we should let Lakeland see it as an example !

Thank you

2 hours ago, andybarrett1 said:

First of all apologies for resurrecting an old thread ..... Shoot me if you want.

Does anybody here have any comment to add to the current situation at Tattenhall Marina , There seems to be a new management philosophy whereby they do seem to think it is acceptable to hike the bollard electricity prices up by 50% and then tamper with the meters making a change from 12PPU to 18PPU this after the prepay card has been registered. Additionally they have taken the free lift facility away from  the agreed twelve month  agreement  again without telling anyone.

Recently appointed Marina Manager has left...

On site cafe prices though the roof ...

etc etc 

Generally there is a lot of unrest and boats moving out..... Just wondering if news has filtered elsewhere at all.

Andy

Here is a sample of electricity prices, I know its 5% vat on energy but I dont know if the marina would have to charge 15% for supplying it 

Capture.JPG

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Here is a sample of electricity prices, I know its 5% vat on energy but I dont know if the marina would have to charge 15% for supplying it 

Capture.JPG

But there would be 20% to add on (rather than 5%) as it is not a domestic property.

So 13p would become 15.6p add 2.5p per unit for the service charge and its up at 18p PPU

The marina would reclaim the input VAT at 20% and pay the output VAT at 20% so a nett effect for them.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But there would be 20% to add on (rather than 5%) as it is not a domestic property.

So 13p would become 15.6p add 2.5p per unit for the service charge and its up at 18p PPU

The marina would reclaim the input VAT at 20% and pay the output VAT at 20% so a nett effect for them.

As I said I didn't know the VAT position

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly, I think the electricity prices are the least of their "crimes". 

Banning dogs in the boathouse seems to be the final nail in the coffin for many people, it would seem. It's very sad for Anne and her team who, in reality run a quite pleasant little drop-in cafe, with good food and a pleasant atmosphere but, with Lakelands apparent total disregard for their main clientele (the moorers), there will be little more than a small cafe on an island in the middle of a big, empty pond in a few months time. At least 10% of their complement of boats have left since December and more are planning to leave. It's almost as if Lakeland actually want the place to fail. No-one with any real business sense would continue to treat their customers with as much disregard and distain as they have shown if they wanted their business to succeed. Closing the workshop, raising electricity costs, removing free lift-outs, increasing mooring fees, increasing prices in the cafe - all done with no notice or formal warnings or announcements, apparently in the hope that no-one would notice? It beggars belief. 

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 16:51, Alan de Enfield said:

They would pay input VAT at 20% but charge output VAT at 5%, so they should be charging at the 5% rate

Edited by mayalld

3 hours ago, andybarrett1 said:

Not if they got any sense..... Move on by.

Not a happy Marina at all !

I agree. Aqueduct isn't too far away. Much better maintained and is now offering (surprise!, surprise!) free lift-outs for 12 month moorings.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2019 at 12:13, steve7a3 said:

I agree. Aqueduct isn't too far away. Much better maintained and is now offering (surprise!, surprise!) free lift-outs for 12 month moorings.

Well we have moved on.... Best part of 8-9 years spent at Tattenhall, most  of it happy, The very recent management changes are tearing the place apart, just recently 18 boats left just from one jetty.  They have done a U-Turn on the dog ban. But it is far too little too late, their recent lack of consultation with the moorers over significant  changes, not to mention the attitude of the acting manager are doing them no favours whatsoever. 

To anybody thinking of mooring there or even just passing though ..... Just have a long think about it first.

Andy

Edited by andybarrett1
bad link

3 minutes ago, andybarrett1 said:

Well we have moved on.... Best part of 8-9 years spent at Tattenhall, most  of it happy, The very recent management changes are tearing the place apart, just recently 18 boats left just from one jetty.  They have done a U-Turn on the dog ban. But it is far too little too late, their recent lack of consultation with the moorers over significant  changes, not to mention the attitude of the acting manager are doing them no favours whatsoever. 

To anybody thinking of mooring there or even just passing though ..... Just have a look at Unhappy Boaters first.

Andy

It is a closed group so not much to see.

1 hour ago, andybarrett1 said:

To anybody thinking of mooring there or even just passing though ..... Just have a long think about it first.

Andy

Wise move Andy, not that you had much choice from what I hear! I visited there again early this week and was amazed at just how empty it is. I recall having to wait for an empty berth on J Jetty when I wanted to move just over a year ago. Now there are so many empty berths you could change your mooring on a daily basis and not have to repeat for a good while! Interestingly though, my two boats are still listed on the board weeks after I took both of them out, as are a few others that I know have left, so I think they are trying to kid themselves, or more likely potential new moorers, into thinking things aren't as bad as they really are.

2 hours ago, steve7a3 said:

Wise move Andy, not that you had much choice from what I hear! I visited there again early this week and was amazed at just how empty it is. I recall having to wait for an empty berth on J Jetty when I wanted to move just over a year ago. Now there are so many empty berths you could change your mooring on a daily basis and not have to repeat for a good while! Interestingly though, my two boats are still listed on the board weeks after I took both of them out, as are a few others that I know have left, so I think they are trying to kid themselves, or more likely potential new moorers, into thinking things aren't as bad as they really are.

Hi Steve You got me !

We really don't know what their end game is... The favourite theory at the moment is they want to backfill and make it into another  caravan park. 

We thought about new short term moorers making them more monies but Tattenhall is not on a cruising route, so no value there really ?

Who knows ....But certainly is a lot emptier than I remember  this time previous years , Huge congratulations to all concerned :-)