Helmsmans Courses / ICC Certificate

airborne

Featured Posts

Hi All ,

I am totally new to this forum , so hello everyone ! I will be retiring from the Fire Service next year , and if things go according to plan , I would like to purchase a small recreational / semi-liveaboard dutch type barge , moor it up in France or Holland and cruise the european waterways in my spare time .

I intend to take a barge helmsmans course before then and get an ICC Certificate to help qualify me for this . I was all ready to book a two day course through ABC with Bob Strachan , but he has just informed me that due to ill health he will have to cancel his courses for next year (so I wish him a speedy recovery).

With this in mind , can anyone recomend a good simmilar two day course preferably no further down the Country than the Midlands as I am from the North East !The good thing about Bobs course was that it was residential , allieviating the need to book accomodation .

I would be gratefull for any help in this matter.

with thanks

Mike

Hi All ,

I am totally new to this forum , so hello everyone ! I will be retiring from the Fire Service next year , and if things go according to plan , I would like to purchase a small recreational / semi-liveaboard dutch type barge , moor it up in France or Holland and cruise the european waterways in my spare time .

I intend to take a barge helmsmans course before then and get an ICC Certificate to help qualify me for this . I was all ready to book a two day course through ABC with Bob Strachan , but he has just informed me that due to ill health he will have to cancel his courses for next year (so I wish him a speedy recovery).

With this in mind , can anyone recomend a good simmilar two day course preferably no further down the Country than the Midlands as I am from the North East !The good thing about Bobs course was that it was residential , allieviating the need to book accomodation .

with thanks

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome. Just to be sure, you are talking about an ICC plus Cevni endorsement if you are going continental aren't you?

Roger

Hi All ,

with thanks

Mike

I sent you a private mail, but the number of characters is restricted and it looked a bit terse. You don't say if you have previous boating experience, but I don't think it would be a good idea to jump on a boat for the first time and take to France/Holland etc where you would be mixing it with the big boys of 2000+ tonnes. Also the way of working locks is very different to what you will learn in the UK, plus you are obliged to have a competent crew person on board when you are on rivers. Unless you are thinking of having it roaded right down to the Canal du Midi, which is not so significantly different to the sort of boating in the UK, I'd strongly recommend you get in plenty of experience in the UK before coming to the Continent.

Edited by Tam & Di

Hi All ,

Thanks for your replies to my enquiry , just to answer Roger , yes I Willbe taking the ICC with CEVNI endorsement .And for Tam and Di thanks fo that usefull info , I intend , hopefully to visit Europe and do a bit barging with some one I am in contact with , but I will certainly take on board your advice .

ATB

Mike

Hi All ,

Thanks for your replies to my enquiry , just to answer Roger , yes I Willbe taking the ICC with CEVNI endorsement .And for Tam and Di thanks fo that usefull info , I intend , hopefully to visit Europe and do a bit barging with some one I am in contact with , but I will certainly take on board your advice .

ATB

Mike

Mike I suggest you read Tam's sig and look at the web site listed