12V Lighting

Flocal

Featured Posts

My boat still has very ancient 12v Fluro lighting throughout. When i try and use the fluro tubes, they are very dim and now and again flicker very bright like they should always be then go back to dim.

I have bought two new bulbs and tried it in some of the fixings, but the same thing happens.

My batteries are charged and it does this when engine is running.

Could it be the old wiring not being upto the job?

Wiring and connectors are feeling their age.

Loosen and re-tighten every screw in every connector, switch and 12v light fitting you can find.

Look for green or black "fungus" on what should be shiny copper of tinned cable, light fitting, 12v plugs and sockets, then scrape it off.

Check for broken and distorted springs and clips in the light fittings.

and so on...

Would fitting LED lights solve this problem?? I use some LED lights & in certain places found no difference in preformance compared to other light opitions..

My boat still has very ancient 12v Fluro lighting throughout. When i try and use the fluro tubes, they are very dim and now and again flicker very bright like they should always be then go back to dim.

I have bought two new bulbs and tried it in some of the fixings, but the same thing happens.

My batteries are charged and it does this when engine is running.

Could it be the old wiring not being upto the job?

This type of light is often temperamental, they have a small inverter which generates a high voltage to light the tube, and can be affected by damp or corrosion as mentioned above.

I have just fitted these:

Bedazzled link

they are expensive but I am very happy with them and expect them to last a long time.

m@

This type of light is often temperamental, they have a small inverter which generates a high voltage to light the tube, and can be affected by damp or corrosion as mentioned above.

Bedazzled link

they are expensive but I am very happy with them and expect them to last a long time.

m@

Nice one. Thanks' for the link.. You may have just solved a problem in my truck.

Taslim.

But don't ignore checking the switches and wiring, it could be very frustrating for you if you found your nice new lights did more or less the same thing because a switch was handing its notice in...

Agreed. Check the lot in one hit by measuring input voltage at the lamp with it switched on.

Bedazzled link

m@

Or these from Baddie

I dumped the original LEDs when they started to fail as they required 12v and not down to 10v lately on finding that the newer led where more tolerant of voltage I dug the old expensive swivel fitting out of the garage. They all had one pin of the old lamps rusty strange or what? the new ones have a gentler light as well.

I dumped the original LEDs when they started to fail as they required 12v and not down to 10v lately on finding that the newer led where more tolerant of voltage I dug the old expensive swivel fitting out of the garage. They all had one pin of the old lamps rusty strange or what? the new ones have a gentler light as well.

How often do you drop to 10 volts?