Upplandskubb

Caprifool

Featured Posts

One of our tv-chefs over here mentioned an old traditional bread from the region of Uppland, called Upplandskubb the other day. It has been listed in the Slow Food Foundation for Biodiversity's Ark of Taste.

The oldest documented recipe dated back to 1852. And it was invented by the housewifes of the region that did not have an oven. It was baked in a 3 liter cylindrical milk churn with a lid, placed in a bain marie. So there's no baking sheets lyeing around the kitchen, takeing space while proofing. No kneeding (to speak of) and it is boiled in a tin for four hours instead of baked in a oven. We keep our wood stoves in all day and it struck me that perhaps this recipe could be useful with narrowboat stoves as well. It does earn it's place as sloooooow food! But isn't labor intensive at all.

You need some tin foil, string or rubber bands. A cylindrical tin with a lid. Say, 12-15 cm's in diameter..... A pot that fits your tin under the lid. A wooden spoon and a mixing bowl. Kids or a partner to do the washing up.

Ingredients

3,5 dl water

50 g yeast

1 dl treacle

1 tsp salt

5-6 dl rye flour

5-6 dl wheat flour

For the tin

A knob of butter and some rye flour

First, butter and flour the insides of your tin

Heat the water to body temperature and mix it together with the yeast, salt & treacle. Mix the rye flour into the liquid first. Then most of the wheat flour. Leave a tbsp or two for kneeding and shaping. Mix into a dough. Pour it out on to your work space. Kneed it in the rest of your wheat flour and shape into a firm ball that fits into your tin that you have buttered and floured inside. Place it in the tin, put the lid on and go about your other business for 3-4 hours while the bread is proofing.

Take your pot out and fill it with enough water to cover 2/3 of your tin. Seal the tin with some tin foil inside the lid. Take some more foil and put it over the lid and secure it with string or a rubber band. You don't want any water or steam getting inside the tin. Place it in your now boiling water. And boil it under a lid for four hours. Do something useful.....or not...

When it's done. Tip it out and let it cool for several hours or over night wrapped in a baking cloth. Cut into quarters and put each quarter in a plastic bag.

You just made four loafes of moist delicious bread with no oven an very little work.

Enjoy! I know I did. A quarter is gone already :blush:

Edited by Caprifool

One of our tv-chefs over here mentioned an old traditional bread from the region of Uppland, called Upplandskubb the other day. It has been listed in the Slow Food Foundation for Biodiversity's Ark of Taste.

The oldest documented recipe dated back to 1852. And it was invented by the housewifes of the region that did not have an oven. It was baked in a 3 liter cylindrical milk churn with a lid, placed in a bain marie. So there's no baking sheets lyeing around the kitchen, takeing space while proofing. No kneeding (to speak of) and it is boiled in a tin for four hours instead of baked in a oven. We keep our wood stoves in all day and it struck me that perhaps this recipe could be useful with narrowboat stoves as well. It does earn it's place as sloooooow food! But isn't labor intensive at all.

You need some tin foil, string or rubber bands. A cylindrical tin with a lid. Say, 12-15 cm's in diameter..... A pot that fits your tin under the lid. A wooden spoon and a mixing bowl. Kids or a partner to do the washing up.

Ingredients

3,5 dl water

50 g yeast

1 dl treacle

1 tsp salt

5-6 dl rye flour

5-6 dl wheat flour

For the tin

A knob of butter and some rye flour

First, butter and flour the insides of your tin

Heat the water to body temperature and mix it together with the yeast, salt & treacle. Mix the rye flour into the liquid first. Then most of the wheat flour. Leave a tbsp or two for kneeding and shaping. Mix into a dough. Pour it out on to your work space. Kneed it in the rest of your wheat flour and shape into a firm ball that fits into your tin that you have buttered and floured inside. Place it in the tin, put the lid on and go about your other business for 3-4 hours while the bread is proofing.

Take your pot out and fill it with enough water to cover 2/3 of your tin. Seal the tin with some tin foil inside the lid. Take some more foil and put it over the lid and secure it with string or a rubber band. You don't want any water or steam getting inside the tin. Place it in your now boiling water. And boil it under a lid for four hours. Do something useful.....or not...

When it's done. Tip it out and let it cool for several hours or over night wrapped in a baking cloth. Cut into quarters and put each quarter in a plastic bag.

You just made four loafes of moist delicious bread with no oven an very little work.

Enjoy! I know I did. A quarter is gone already :blush:

Hi Caprifool,

We like rye bread, (its nice toasted for breakfast) especially the Swedish type, I find it less dense than the Danish and my girlfriend is Swedish so thought I would give this one a go.

We also keep wood burners in all day and several have nice big flat tops especially for cooking on.

Couple of questions:

Need to know exactly how big a tin all those ingredients fit into before I start mixing.

12 to 15 cm diameter you say but how deep, what size container did you use?

Any reason why it couldn’t be boiled in a plastic container?

Fresh or dried yeast?

Thanks

Joshua

Had to take the tape measure out :-) My milk churn is 15 cm's in diameter and 17.5 cm's high.

Plastic and high(ish) temps for 4 hours. Hm, I wouldn't.... But that might just be me being a little paranoid :blush:

50 grams of fresh yeast.

Edited by Caprifool