renji

Featured Posts

Hi Iam new to this site and to boating,

I am hoping to buy a boat In Jan to live on.

My wife and I have been goin to the local marinas to view boat that are for sale aswel as walkin our dog up and down the canal paths to see if we can spot boat that are for sale.

I have a handfull of questions to ask, but hope to find the answers to them on the forum before I start to pester you all with questions that have most likely been answered already :D

thanks for reading

Andy

My wife and I have been goin to the local marinas to view boat that are for sale aswel as walkin our dog up and down the canal paths to see if we can spot boat that are for sale.

I have a handfull of questions to ask, but hope to find the answers to them on the forum before I start to pester you all with questions that have most likely been answered already :D

thanks for reading

Andy

Make sure its NOT a pump out bog........... ;)

thanks for reading

Andy

Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will find most of the answers to your questions on here but if not just ask and someone will be able to give you an answer I am sure.

But just like every other subject and internet forum there will be differing opinions on some subjects

Make sure its NOT a pump out bog........... ;)

HEHE have already looked into the cassette route, I belive this to be the better option for the winter/ ice months?! :D

Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will find most of the answers to your questions on here but if not just ask and someone will be able to give you an answer I am sure.

But just like every other subject and internet forum there will be differing opinions on some subjects

Thank you for the welcoming and your advice.

Depending on your budget and of course personal tastes, you may consider a boat in the Hudson range.

Having said that, enjoy your search and look forward to the unique emotion of finally realising that 'this is the one for us'.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

• 1 month later...

Been a while since i have posted on here, thought i would ask you guys about the continuous cruising rules as the broker at a local marina said british water ways are trying to enforce that you have to move 10 miles every 2 weeks....is this true? i have read british waterways but couldnt find anything to relate to it....please help

ps sorry if its posted in the wrong section :0

Been a while since i have posted on here, thought i would ask you guys about the continuous cruising rules as the broker at a local marina said british water ways are trying to enforce that you have to move 10 miles every 2 weeks....is this true? i have read british waterways but couldnt find anything to relate to it....please help

ps sorry if its posted in the wrong section :0

Ask him for sight of the evidence - web site details, copy of letter from BW or whatever.

It will be the first time CC requirements have been so tightly defined.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-it/boating-essentials/mooring-information#note2

The law requires that stops during such cruising should not be "in any one place for more than 14 days".

"Place" in this context means a neighbourhood or locality, NOT simply a particular mooring site or position. (See Note 6)

Therefore to remain in the same neighbourhood for more than 14 days is not permitted. The necessary movement from one neighbourhood to another can be done in one step or by short gradual steps. What the law requires is that, if 14 days ago the boat was in neighbourhood A, by day 15 it must be in neighbourhood B. Thereafter, the next movement must normally be to neighbourhood C, and not back to neighbourhood A (with obvious exceptions such as reaching the end of a terminal waterway or reversing the direction of travel in the course of a genuine cruise).

What constitutes a 'neighbourhood' will vary from area to area – on a rural waterway a village or hamlet may be a neighbourhood and on an urban waterway a suburb or district within a town or city may be a neighbourhood. A sensible and pragmatic judgement needs to be made.

It is not possible (nor appropriate) to specify distances that need to be travelled, since in densely populated areas different neighbourhoods will adjoin each other and in sparsely populated areas they may be far apart (in which case uninhabited areas between neighbourhoods will in themselves usually be a locality and also a "place").

Exact precision is not required or expected – what is required is that the boat is used for a genuine cruise.

A little early to go off topic Muddy,and stop strikes please its harming our country.

Ian

thanks for reading

Andy

Welcome to the site and have a wonderful time searching for your boat, you will find the perfect one if you take your time and plan ahead :)

Ask him for sight of the evidence - web site details, copy of letter from BW or whatever.

It will be the first time CC requirements have been so tightly defined.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-it/boating-essentials/mooring-information#note2

The law requires that stops during such cruising should not be "in any one place for more than 14 days".

"Place" in this context means a neighbourhood or locality, NOT simply a particular mooring site or position. (See Note 6)

Therefore to remain in the same neighbourhood for more than 14 days is not permitted. The necessary movement from one neighbourhood to another can be done in one step or by short gradual steps. What the law requires is that, if 14 days ago the boat was in neighbourhood A, by day 15 it must be in neighbourhood B. Thereafter, the next movement must normally be to neighbourhood C, and not back to neighbourhood A (with obvious exceptions such as reaching the end of a terminal waterway or reversing the direction of travel in the course of a genuine cruise).

What constitutes a 'neighbourhood' will vary from area to area – on a rural waterway a village or hamlet may be a neighbourhood and on an urban waterway a suburb or district within a town or city may be a neighbourhood. A sensible and pragmatic judgement needs to be made.

It is not possible (nor appropriate) to specify distances that need to be travelled, since in densely populated areas different neighbourhoods will adjoin each other and in sparsely populated areas they may be far apart (in which case uninhabited areas between neighbourhoods will in themselves usually be a locality and also a "place").

Exact precision is not required or expected – what is required is that the boat is used for a genuine cruise.

Thanks for the advice, I thought travelling 10 miles was a bit excessive, I knew you could do A - B - C then back to area but wasnt sure what the distance had to be between them.

Welcome to the site and have a wonderful time searching for your boat, you will find the perfect one if you take your time and plan ahead :)

thank you for the welcome, we are hoping to find our boat mid January, have been lookin since October now and have sine a few lovely one's, we are slowly getting there :D

Thanks for the advice, I thought travelling 10 miles was a bit excessive, I knew you could do A - B - C then back to area but wasnt sure what the distance had to be between them.

I think one thing has been established, following the Davies case...expecting to travel more than 10 miles at a time and keep returning is notexcessive.

There is nothing that says you can do "A-B-C-then back to A" either...unless "A-B-C-A" is a pretty huge loop.