Survey Booked

theguitardoctor

Featured Posts

Things have come together and the survey is now booked at Audlem for 7th November. Hopefully Dominic can see the deposit in the client account by now (or Monday at the latest). If not, then I'm driving down with cold hard cash rather than trust NatWest again..!!

Out of the water and on the blocks as apparently the trailer obscures the sides of the hull which are more prone to wear yet allow access to the vulnerable hull parts - (seems to make sense). The survey is going to take a day and a half, so he seems thorough...!! Post-survey he wants me to meet up at the boat and he'll go through everything with me. I expect the surveyor prefers to get on and do the work and then summarise all he's found, if anything...? Is this the normal way...it certainly saves me taking 2 days off work, even though I could without a problem. It just means playing catch up when I get back......

I'll likely meet him there the first morning to introduce myself and then speak to the guys (and girls) doing the rest of the work so if all goes well (I'm sure it will), then onto the blacking and remedial paint repairs etc, whilst transferring the rest of the balance to the broker. Again, it might be in used non-consecutive notes in a black briefcase such is my trust in banks at present... :rolleyes:

One step closer..... B)

I expect the surveyor prefers to get on and do the work and then summarise all he's found, if anything...? Is this the normal way...it certainly saves me taking 2 days off work, even though I could without a problem. It just means playing catch up when I get back......

Most surveyors seem to prefer not having the customer present for the whole survey. But you are the one who is paying, so you choose.

Dominic

Most surveyors seem to prefer not having the customer present for the whole survey. But you are the one who is paying, so you choose.

Dominic

I understand completely...I hate having customers over me when I'm repairing their guitars...!! Very off putting... :blink:

I'm just happy that he's not coming down wielding a hammer...!!

The summary meeting after suits me fine. :cheers:

I understand completely...I hate having customers over me when I'm repairing their guitars...!! Very off putting... :blink:

I recall the legendary Malcolm Braine using a hammer rather than one of those new-fangled electronic ultrasonic testers. And he was a brilliant surveyor. Mind you, he probably used a canary to test the gas system :D Great man.

Hope it all goes to plan for you...a very exciting time !!

I would do as you suggested in your initial post. Go along at the start of the survey and

introduce yourself to your surveyor. It will give you the chance to have a quick chat about

the boat, and you can mention any specific areas of concern you may have, or anything in

particular you would like checked.

I was present for my survey. I did, however, leave the surveyor to it once I had had a quick chat

with him. I left it to him to give me a shout when he had anything to tell / show me though, as you

are correct about having customers 'looking over your shoulder', can be a bit off putting.

That said, I often have to perform caravan repairs under these circumstances, as the customers

are usually staying in the caravan at the time !! You do get used to it ! lol ....

Good luck !

Andy

I recall the legendary Malcolm Braine using a hammer rather than one of those new-fangled electronic ultrasonic testers. And he was a brilliant surveyor. Mind you, he probably used a canary to test the gas system :D Great man.

I think he probably still does

You not being there and meeting afterwards is fine - as long as the vendor isn't going to be there either. I'm sure your surveyor is reputable, but I had a bad experience about 12 years ago after making the mistake of leaving the vendor and surveyor alone together for a couple of hours.

I wouldn't do that again.

Edit: Sorry, I just realised it sounds like the vendor is a forum member. I certainly didn't mean to cast any aspersions Dominic - apologies for that. Let's put my attitude down to me getting stung.

Edited by blackrose

Yes it's brokered through Rugby boats and they have a very good reputation and generally if you don't, then it's soon passed through channels such as this forum. There will be an RB representative to hand if needed, but the surveyor will be free to do what he needs I'm sure. I'll do what's been suggested and meet him first thing to raise a couple of points then leave him to it. We're getting together post survey to go over everything anyway. Reserved excitement as I only believe things when they actually happen..!!

You not being there and meeting afterwards is fine - as long as the vendor isn't going to be there either. I'm sure your surveyor is reputable, but I had a bad experience about 12 years ago after making the mistake of leaving the vendor and surveyor alone together for a couple of hours.

I wouldn't do that again.

Edit: Sorry, I just realised it sounds like the vendor is a forum member. I certainly didn't mean to cast any aspersions Dominic - apologies for that. Let's put my attitude down to me getting stung.

No offence taken, Julian. Your advice is sound, although I would be appalled if a vendor could influence a surveyor's objectivity. I have a simple view of surveys: if the surveyor finds something that is a serious problem, then that is life. I don't want anyone to buy a boat and inherit a huge problem rather than something to enjoy.

No offence taken, Julian. Your advice is sound, although I would be appalled if a vendor could influence a surveyor's objectivity. I have a simple view of surveys: if the surveyor finds something that is a serious problem, then that is life. I don't want anyone to buy a boat and inherit a huge problem rather than something to enjoy.

Mike actually - Julian is Idleness.

My fault for never signing off my posts.

Edited by blackrose

• 2 weeks later...

Boat is coming out of the water in preparation for Monday's survey....I really hope it flies through with nothing major as we've held off looking for boats until we get the report...

If it's bad news, we're back to square one, although I expect that means a postponement until January as the 7 days a week working schedule kicks in on Dec 1st....doh..!!

Boat is coming out of the water in preparation for Monday's survey....I really hope it flies through with nothing major as we've held off looking for boats until we get the report...

If it's bad news, we're back to square one, although I expect that means a postponement until January as the 7 days a week working schedule kicks in on Dec 1st....doh..!!

Good luck with the survey, you hopefully will be a very happy man next Monday.

Peter.

Good luck with the survey, you hopefully will be a very happy man next Monday.

Peter.

It will be Tuesday, but thanks...apparently the survey will take a day and a half....?? I'm not arguing as I'm presuming the surveyor is obviously very thorough... :P

If all is well blacking will commence....

Must remember to pack a rag and white spirit to check what it's coated with already....

He certainly did so Summer 2010, when he surveyed Hart of Gold. Bashed it with his hammer, and picked the weak section out no problem.

A good surveyor will start with a hammer, and use ultrasonics to confirm his diagnosis ;)

Tim

I remember when taking in our cars to the MOT station, and seeing them using hammers, and pointy ones too !!

I started to have to use stronger mix of cement in the cills and wings lol. Waiting for the crap we put on, to fall off lol

Those were the days you undersealed your car, to hide the fact is held together with sticky back plastic

:smiley_offtopic:

Forgot to add

I wonder if similar things are done to boats these days,or days gone past ?

Col

Edited by bigcol