Coolant Drain plug on a BMC 1.8

Flocal

Featured Posts

What side :blush: ?

Theres all sorts of taps and valves ha.

I know that i need to take the skin tank plug out, bottom hose, filler cap on engine ect i just cant seem to locate the plug!

And would recommend filling from engine filler or thru the skin tank bleeder?

There may not be one, there certainly isn't one on our 1.5. The only way I can drain the engine in our boat is to loosen the bottom coolant hose and let the water run out into the bilges, and if you leave the expansion tank cap off it should drain the skin tank as well, leaving a lot of water to mop up!!

Having been and had a look I think this may be it:-

bl18drain.jpg

Right hand side of the engine as viewed from the flywheel end, Immediately below the Oil pressure switch/gauge connection you can just make out a plug, I suspect I would have to remove either the starter or the oil filter to get at it !

springy

Edited by springy

• 10 years later...

No idea where it is on the 1.8, but the operators handbook for the 1.5 shows a tap fitted just above the starter motor flange. Real pity they remove such useful parts along with the sump plug when the engine is marinized. The coolant is supposed to be changed every 600 hours according to that very useful book.

5 hours ago, TNLI said:

No idea where it is on the 1.8, but the operators handbook for the 1.5 shows a tap fitted just above the starter motor flange. Real pity they remove such useful parts along with the sump plug when the engine is marinized. The coolant is supposed to be changed every 600 hours according to that very useful book.

On the boat I had the BMC 1500's drain tap was as above.

However,it was very difficult to reach,because of diesel pipes in the way and the closeness of the swim.

When I finally managed to get my hand on it,I found that the lever was broken off and was impossible to move.

Drained it by simply removing the hose on the water pump.

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

On a tank or heat exchanger cooled engine that is what I would do and if really dirty remove the thermostat and flush with a hose. The antifreeze will stop the engine from freezing. it is Direct raw water cooled engines that need the drain tap (plus one on any wet exhaust manifold). I think the change from drain taps to drain plugs was brought about by the almost universal use of antifreeze.

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

On the boat I had the BMC 1500's drain tap was as above.

However,it was very difficult to reach,because of diesel pipes in the way and the closeness of the swim.

When I finally managed to get my hand on it,I found that the lever was broken off and was impossible to move.

Likewise