Double Mooring

Dalesman

Featured Posts

I totally agree.

I have met Carl (long time back) and Cotswoldman (more recently), but never Dave, and I actually thing sitting over a meal with Carl, John and Dave would make for a very entertaining evening.

Despite Carl and Dave regularly being on completely different poles of a particular argument very frequently, they can both argue their case maturely with most people, (there have been exceptions!), and I can't see it being anything other than a good natured event. I don't think we would necessarily end the evening with consensus on BW's powers, for instance, though!

But then as I'm almost surprised not to have made it on to the bad boys list myself, (I don't know whether to be relieved or offended!), I would say that wouldn't I!

Tell you what - throw in Chris Pink, and it will be an even more interesting night out! I'm up for it!

I meant that Mr Mayall on his own might be heavy going. He does like to be right all the time, though I admit the possibility that in the flesh he might be very different. Having him and Carl together though would be another matter altogether.

It wasn't really a bad boys list, and on balance all three are A Good Thing, in my view. They just happen to be opinionated people who post a lot and don't feel a need to be excessively polite. And they are not alone in that. ;)

You are on a slightly different list, that of Forum Stalwarts, without whom the place would not be worth visiting.

Wood burner :- Somerton Deep single lock going uphill. We are in front, other boat crew open top paddles really fast, I mean both up in seconds! My boat rushes forward hits cill followed by the boat behind hitting me. Wood burner smashed off its base along with stove pipe/chimney. I didn't see the damage until later.

Jammed in lock :- Side fenders down on the other boat.

Bent Swan neck :- Again going uphill, paddles opened to quickly by other crew. Boat behind me (GRP Cruiser with steel front railing) smashes into my swan.

Dented roof :- In lock, side by side with another boat, going uphill. One of the crew operating the lock decides he wants two get two bikes to the other side of the lock, as I am going up, he picks up the two bikes (heavy old things)and jumps down onto my roof with them, causing the roof to get dented.

That's why I hate sharing locks.

:(

Sharing a narrow lock going uphill is a recipe for disaster. When I had a 20ft GRP cruiser, I would always refuse - which got me into some arguments with short narrow boat owners sometimes. (short boats that is, not the owners...)

Edited by billS

You are on a slightly different list, that of Forum Stalwarts, without whom the place would not be worth visiting.

"Ah! Forum Royalty!", was the reaction I got when I introduced myself to someone at Blue String Pudding's banterette a few weeks back.

That said, I'm perfectly prepared to accept they were taking p***!

OK so here goes:

If I was stuck with a broken down car at 2 in the morning the first person I would call is Dave Mayall, while we were frozen in in winter he brought us water in a caravan water container daily until it thawed, even though he had to drive through ice and snow, he has offered incredible advice whenever asked to people who don't have his eye for detail and smallprint, he was the first person to take the trouble to befriend us when we bought our boat and has remained a friend ever since. He has faced down extraordinary trials over the past 2 years with patience and humour and contiues to do so, I would trust him and the fair Mrs M with my life - is that the sort of thing you were thinking of.

That'll do just fine.

And you're neither an animal nor an old lady!

• Greenie 1

I meant that Mr Mayall on his own might be heavy going. He does like to be right all the time, though I admit the possibility that in the flesh he might be very different. Having him and Carl together though would be another matter altogether.

It wasn't really a bad boys list, and on balance all three are A Good Thing, in my view. They just happen to be opinionated people who post a lot and don't feel a need to be excessively polite. And they are not alone in that. ;)

Oh God! Now that Bowler Hat I gave him will never fit!

img_1378.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

Hey Guitar doctor,

Thanks for the advice from the helpful, friendly folk...

Hi,

I haven't noticed that "helpful" and "friendly" always go together this forum.

I am reasonably friendly - but of almost no help whatever. On the other hand, the person who has been a source of extraordinary help to me (Gibbo), has never struck me as particularly friendly. The usefulness of his site outweighs almost any peculiarity of personality, as far as I am concerned.al

Only my opinion of course but all opinions are not of equal value.

Sharing a narrow lock going uphill is a recipe for disaster. When I had a 20ft GRP cruiser, I would always refuse - which got me into some arguments with short narrow boat owners sometimes. (short boats that is, not the owners...)

Nice to know that someone has the same problem as me.

:)

If a GRP insists on sharing the narrow lock with me going uphill, I insist they go in first.

:)

Hi,

I am reasonably friendly - but of almost no help whatever. On the other hand, the person who has been a source of extraordinary help to me (Gibbo), has never struck me as particularly friendly. The usefulness of his site outweighs almost any peculiarity of personality, as far as I am concerned.al

But alas, all men are created equal, thus all opinions are created equal also. Only those who choose between opinions give weight to them. This however is no guarantee that it is indeed correct, only more favoured.

And regarding the double breasted boats. Surely if you ask the owner of the boat you wish to moor against if it is ok to cross his vessel, then respect his decision, regardless of your then formed new opinion, it would solve most issue.

In his absence, common sense should prevail.

Again....you may disagree below....

Edited by theguitardoctor

Hi,

I suppose it depends what we mean by "friendly." To use your example of Gibbo: Whenever I asked him (often by pm) any questions regarding boat electrics, he always answered me promptly,in depth, accurately and free of charge. Now that is what I call a friendly thing to do. His replies were never full of jokes, smilies and stuff, but always patient and polite. So I for one found Gibbo extremely helpful and friendly, as I have found many other forum members to be. I have seen people who tried to outsmart Gibbo take a kicking though!

I suppose it depends what we mean by "friendly." To use your example of Gibbo: Whenever I asked him (often by pm) any questions regarding boat electrics, he always answered me promptly,in depth, accurately and free of charge. Now that is what I call a friendly thing to do. His replies were never full of jokes, smilies and stuff, but always patient and polite. So I for one found Gibbo extremely helpful and friendly, as I have found many other forum members to be. I have seen people who tried to outsmart Gibbo take a kicking though!

Seconded on all points.

But alas, all men are created equal, thus all opinions are created equal also. Only those who choose between opinions give weight to them. This however is no guarantee that it is indeed correct, only more favoured.

Leaving the “alas” aside, your statement that “all men are created equal” is itself only an opinion. It may be one I share with you but there are respectable arguments to the contrary. In any event, it does not logically follow that all opinions are equal. A persons opinion will necessarily influenced by their experience of the world, their intelligence etc. These factors differ unequally from person to person.

In my view:

You are entitled to your own opinion.

You are entitled to express that opinion (though you may be locked up for expressing certain types of opinion).

The opinion expressed may be brilliant or may be completely and obviously barmy.

The opinion which you express will be compared with “reality” by others in accordance with their knowledge of the subject concerned. A philosopher (or a quantum physicist) will tell you that there are no guarantees of correctness but the chance of a judgment of your opinion being correct grows in proportion to the knowledge of the person doing the judging. Not by mere weight of numbers.

There are subjects where my opinion will be better than your's and vice versa, depending on our areas of expertise.

My expertise does not lie in waterways legislation - that's why I have not posted more often in my four and a half years on the forum.

• Greenie 2

Leaving the “alas” aside, your statement that “all men are created equal” is itself only an opinion. It may be one I share with you but there are respectable arguments to the contrary. In any event, it does not logically follow that all opinions are equal. A persons opinion will necessarily influenced by their experience of the world, their intelligence etc. These factors differ unequally from person to person.

In my view:

You are entitled to express that opinion (though you may be locked up for expressing certain types of opinion).

The opinion expressed may be brilliant or may be completely and obviously barmy.

The opinion which you express will be compared with “reality” by others in accordance with their knowledge of the subject concerned. A philosopher (or a quantum physicist) will tell you that there are no guarantees of correctness but the chance of a judgment of your opinion being correct grows in proportion to the knowledge of the person doing the judging. Not by mere weight of numbers.

There are subjects where my opinion will be better than your's and vice versa, depending on our areas of expertise.

My expertise does not lie in waterways legislation - that's why I have not posted more often in my four and a half years on the forum.

I was gong to post something like that but you beat me to it, and as your observations were probably more considered than mine would have been, you deserve a greenie.

Edited by David Schweizer

In my view:

Obviously this will be my opinion....and likely :wacko: but "all men are created equal" stands for me, as at time of birth we are all the same with regards to our possible contribution to society...many a great person rose from an unprivileged background. However, social advantages such as country of birth, parents and their wealth etc, all serve to offer us greater stepping stones to achieving our full potential.

I admit that my opinion is one of those speculative, "it could happen" type of approaches and that has ruffled a lot of feathers as many have seen this as crazy talk...but then they said that about George Orwell's novel 1984, regarding big brother scenario's of society, and these days we each appear on CCTV many, many times a day. I think I read it was an average of 200 per person, but I can't substantiate that exact figure as it was an old report - however, it is still a lot..we all know how many CCTV cameras and ANPR/Gatso's there are. However, the premise is still there, even when it was seen as total fiction not that long ago. My job in some ways is design based and a lot of what seems impossible to many, I strive to make possible....a guitar made from a washing machine drum...? No problem, I'll certainly try and make it happen.

I guess this leaves me to have an open mind, albeit a suspicious one of authority whether that be commercial, political or otherwise. I have never gelled well with authority which is why I have worked for myself since I was 18 as it was a constant clash until that point.

I accept that certain opinions are driven by knowledge, but equally, and certainly in modern society, I think opinions are driven by media, perception, image and popularity, so in effect we're both correct (again my opinion).

Politics obviously forms 2 or more opinions, by it's very existence as people rarely agree about everything. Waterways politics seem to have the same split opinions and this causes tensions, especially when someone has a different opinion to the usual ones....but that's also how the "side" parties in politics pick up a number of votes. Being in the minority leaves you open to the majority attacking your ideas or perception of the future.....

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth and as a minority view, I am used to being cajoled and attacked.