Last one of the year?

nigel carton

Featured Posts

Just taken on a boat delivery from Shardlow to Uxbridge starting on the 31st, can't go down the Leicester line so its going to be Trent and Mersey, coventry, Oxford, Grand Union. Here's the break down:-

Total distance is 162 miles, 4¾ flg and 123 locks. There are at least 7 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open; 19 small aqueducts or underbridges and 3 tunnels.

This is made up of 63 miles, 1¼ furlongs of narrow canals; 98 miles, 3¾ furlongs of broad canals; 0 miles, 7¾ furlongs of small rivers; 28 narrow locks; 95 broad locks.

This will take 85 hours, 54 minutes which is 12 days, 1 hour and 54 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 12 days.

12 days!!! bugger that, I'll have it there in 9! :boat:

Guest Quo Vadis

Update from BW on the Leicester line

Not sure if the 2'4" draught restriction still applies

Grand Union Leicester Line - Lock 18 Kibworth to Lock 30 Kilby

Friday 7 October 2011 until further notice

UPDATE (20 October 2011): Further to this advice note, a full stoppage at this location will not now be progressing on the 24th October 2011.

The section will remain open to navigation between 10am and 2pm only.

We will continue to review the situation on a weekly basis and advise when further information is available.

I've just delivered a boat from Stretton under Fosse to Newbury, I was doing 12 hour days but this meant starting and finishing in the dark.

Just spoke to BW and the Foxton staircase is shut, tried to explain i'm on a trade licence and deliver boats for a living etc but its shut.

Just taken on a boat delivery from Shardlow to Uxbridge starting on the 31st, can't go down the Leicester line so its going to be Trent and Mersey, coventry, Oxford, Grand Union. Here's the break down:-

Total distance is 162 miles, 4¾ flg and 123 locks. There are at least 7 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open; 19 small aqueducts or underbridges and 3 tunnels.

This is made up of 63 miles, 1¼ furlongs of narrow canals; 98 miles, 3¾ furlongs of broad canals; 0 miles, 7¾ furlongs of small rivers; 28 narrow locks; 95 broad locks.

This will take 85 hours, 54 minutes which is 12 days, 1 hour and 54 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 12 days.

Please slow down through Tamworth! <_<

:P

Allways abide by the rules thank you :P and if your out boating and want to tick over at 1mph and I'm behind you, can you let me past please ;)

1 mph? That's me. I'll happily let you pass the minute I can. In return please don't drop the paddles instantly on me if you're helping me get through the lock faster and out of the way, like somebody did to me last week. As I reclosed a bottom gate that had reopened itself, the top paddles were opened for me, the boat shot backwards a fair distance and then charged forward and walloped the gates. All my fine bone china was destroyed! (zero pieces) And my unfinished game on the snooker table was disturbed, Some people just have no consideration.rolleyes.gif

Almost on topic, does anyone know whether the restrictions through Claydon are still in force. I would doubt it, but we may be passing that way before too long.

There was a stoppage notice lifting the restrictions on Claydon and Napton. I guess they reckon there'll be relatively little traffic at this time of the year.

Taking it steady then. I recon it's just as quick the T+M way, just becuase the locks are easier to single hand.

I've done Burton to Brentford in 10 days with a pair of loaded boats with national rally traffic and very short days, so 9 days would be a holiday.

If you want to work, I would go for Shardlow to Tamworth, Tamworth to Braunston, Braunston to Fenny, Fenny to Apsley, Apsley to Uxbridge for a short day at the end. Dead easy in a pleasure boat.

Cheers,

Mike

Taking it steady then. I recon it's just as quick the T+M way, just becuase the locks are easier to single hand.

I've done Burton to Brentford in 10 days with a pair of loaded boats with national rally traffic and very short days, so 9 days would be a holiday.

If you want to work, I would go for Shardlow to Tamworth, Tamworth to Braunston, Braunston to Fenny, Fenny to Apsley, Apsley to Uxbridge for a short day at the end. Dead easy in a pleasure boat.

Cheers,

Mike

Yeah but I was thinking about doing the trip in reverse :P

drat nigel, if i could i would have come to give you a hand doing some of the locks :( take care and i hope you find lots of folks to help you out at the locks :)