looking into buying

xadmx

Featured Posts

hi i no nothing about boating :) but iam thinking of buying one what sort of fees are involved with keeping one on the water. ive seen bcs licence in a few ads on the net what does this involve. iam thinking of bying one thats in need of work, iam not put off by a lot of work because i want to use it as a hobby as iam shop fitter/carpenter by trade but currently working as a welder fabricator so i think i have everything i need to make a boat nice. plus will give me something to do on the weekends. any advice welcome.

thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Running costs, if you have a permanent mooring, will be in the region of £5,000 to £6,000 per year may be more.

As to BSC (Boat Safety Scheme) look here: http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/site/HowtheBSSWorks_4.asp

Other sites to search for info on owning a boat:

http://www.waterscape.com/

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/home

You could also search this forum but the search engine is not that good, sometimes google will find it better.

ps. B O A T stands for Bring Out Another Thousand. ;)

• Greenie 1

thanks guys and girls some very good info. ill keep reading and finding as much info as possible. theres a mooring yard just up the road from me do you think it would be ok for me to ask there if anybody on there might have a possible boat for sale. or if i could have a chat to some of the boat owners on there about the boats. i dont want to come across as a weirdo lol.

Hire first. You don't need to go on an epic cruise, the idea is to see if you actually like it once you've spent a few nights on a boat at this time of year and how much space you really need. Preferably do the hire in the area you would like to start your life afloat.

thanks guys and girls some very good info. ill keep reading and finding as much info as possible. theres a mooring yard just up the road from me do you think it would be ok for me to ask there if anybody on there might have a possible boat for sale. or if i could have a chat to some of the boat owners on there about the boats. i dont want to come across as a weirdo lol.

Might be best to call it a marina but of course depending on which one it is, it may well be a yard. ;)

Probably the best way to do it, you may even get invited aboard.

Then why are you buying a boat. :lol:

Do try to hire for at least a week, a bit late this time as 'stoppages' (when BW carry out maintenance) start to happen at the beginning of November, these can be checked on Waterscape.

Do a lot of research and in the spring start thinking of buying if you still think it is a good idea.

hi i no nothing about boating :) but iam thinking of buying one what sort of fees are involved with keeping one on the water. ive seen bcs licence in a few ads on the net what does this involve. iam thinking of bying one thats in need of work, iam not put off by a lot of work because i want to use it as a hobby as iam shop fitter/carpenter by trade but currently working as a welder fabricator so i think i have everything i need to make a boat nice. plus will give me something to do on the weekends. any advice welcome.

thanks

Hi xadmx,.

I am bit of a Newbee to all things Canal/Barges.

I have been thinking about buying a boat for a while now as a Perm Home. My reasons are purely because I can not afford get anywhere near Property ladder & this way living seems very appealling alternative! What I have found out so far their seem to be a lot of Pro's then Con's seem equal the barges. I am slightly different 2 you xadmx as I am lookin buying 1 that is ready really..

I would love 2do 1 Up from stratch like you as I am a Pratical person but never had real opportunity to see if I got any skills this way. I would love have a go at 1 from stratch like you if I had some hands-on friendly help along way!?!

Anyway,. what I find out so far about them xadmx - Is the Boats 2nd hand are not they expensive buy, but to me it seems Other Costs around them!?? Also, little worrying to me is also what about happen - with Whole Canal system (..I don't know if heard?). But it seems in a while the British Waterways are thinking selling off the canals system to someone else. I have been told this might put UP Costs a lot for people &boaters. Maybe making it 2 expensive people live on them!? Also, 1 other thing is that is seems very Expensive to stay in the Marina's! then maybe got Council Tax cost on Top?

To me the Canal system could be a easy soultion for lot people like me who can not afford get near Property ladder &live off land. Well, anyway thanxs for reading & I would love to know your views on what I said here xadmx...

Cheers

Daz

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyway,. what I find out so far about them xadmx - Is the Boats 2nd hand are not they expensive buy, but to me it seems Other Costs around them!?? Also, little worrying to me is also what about happen - with Whole Canal system (..I don't know if heard?). But it seems in a while the British Waterways are thinking selling off the canals system to someone else. I have been told this might put UP Costs a lot for people &boaters. Maybe making it 2 expensive people live on them!? Also, 1 other thing is that is seems very Expensive to stay in the Marina's! then maybe got Council Tax cost on Top?

To me the Canal system could be a easy soultion for lot people like me who can not afford get near Property ladder &live off land. Well, anyway thanxs for reading & I would love to know your views on what I said here xadmx...

Cheers

Daz

Daz

Let me try and answer some of the above, as there are quite a few misconceptions.

I am sure that when you first joined the forum you were told that living on a boat is not any cheaper than 'living on the land', the only reason to buy a boat is because you want to live the lifestyle.

British Waterways are not thinking of selling off the canals, it is being transfered to the 'Third sector', a bit like The National Trust, costs will go up but they will also go up if BW was to carry on.

Marinas are expensive, they vary depending on the location, 'on-line' moorings are available a little cheaper but usually do not have any facilities.

Living on the canals is not an easy option.

I'm sure there must be loads of frustrated would be home owners who are tempted by the idea of buying a boat for a fraction of the cost of a house and achieving independance, especially down south. But there's so much more to it than that. It is impossible to imagine what it might be like, especially if you have no experience life afloat. It's been said before but the best way you can spend your money is by hiring a boat for as long as possible, and preferably in the colder darker wetter months.

Second point, as anyone who has ever "done up" a boat will tell you, it's not about having the skills, though it helps, it's having the time. Working on a boat is much more time consuming compared with working on a house.

Lastly, I've met many liveaboards who are quite happy to potter around the system with no permanent base, but I've met a hell of a lot who would be much happier if they had a friendly marina in the winter. Three hard winters have made life on the cut very hard for even the most resilient liveaboards.

thanks

As this seems a perennial question would it not be a good idea to have a pinned topic somewhere?

thanks for the replys guys/girls iam looking into buying one as a sort of get away for me the wife and kids, iam not planning on living on one just yet.

my nan used to live on own many moons ago and i can remember visiting her with my mom and dad. so now that iam older its got me thinking into getting one. iam looking into hiring one so i will see how it gos.

dave69700 the mooring yard is halesowen heres a pic of it but the pics about 3 years old now.

7PICT0001.jpg

thanks for the replys guys/girls iam looking into buying one as a sort of get away for me the wife and kids, iam not planning on living on one just yet.

I am in a similar position to yourself and looking at buying one for the same reasons. I have little experience, haven't hired one but have spent day trips out with my Dad on his narrowboat and have walked the towpaths envying those that pass me by waving and smiling.