Where's Gibbo?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Hear Hear! I agree entirely. As a reasonably competent electrical engineer (retired from National Grid) I thought I knew quite enough to do a safe and effective boat electrical installation. That was until I joined CWDF, started reading Gibbo's posts (plus the splendid arguments discussions with others) and his Smartgauge website. As a result I have learned so much more and will have a better boat in the end.

Even some of the non PC comments/opinions could prompt amusing and interesting discussions.

I didn't follow many of those perhaps and must have missed the one where he decided to leave the scene however I sincerely hope he can eventually return if only to continue to offer his splendid (if sometimes slightly grumpy!) electrical/electronic systems advice on here.

Richard

Exactly the same here and couldn't agree more. Hope he is back soon. tosher.

I also never saw the joke but can imagine.

I have had my ups and downs with Gibbo but do miss his posts. I does take all sorts to make a forum work and as far as I am concerned though some of his posts shocked me at times I respected his right to post them.

It would seem as on this occasion Gibbo knew his joke might be over the top (going by his threat) it is a shame he stuck to his threat as this forum will miss him and hopefully he changes his mind.

That may be the case, but none of the people named in your list (I don't even recognise two of them!) ever offered any advice on the alternator, and inverter problems that I was experiencing, the only people who ever tried to help were Gibbo, Sir Snibble, and ChrisW. The problems were eventually solved as a consequence of thier detailed advice, but two of them have gone now.

Two plus me were probably not forum members then.

However they,and many more folk on this forum are very knowledgeable, not only about electrical matters,but a host of different trades and skills,but not everyone is confident, perhaps bold enough and a little''shy maybe'' to post their views and suggestions for fear of a possible onslaught of snipers,instead of a pleasant discussion and a swopping of each others views and ideas on the problem in hand.And indeed the names that i've mentioned including SNibble do all seem to be prepared to listen to each other and try to jointly solve an elec problem without getting heated.

A case in point. Sebrofs bow thruster. bizzard

Edited by bizzard

I did see the joke Gibbo posted, and it's not true that worse ones have remained up. He posted it to be deliberately provocative, and I assumed charitably that he was p*ssed at the time. His acompanying comment:

See how long this one stays up for...

It this gets deleted I'm leaving. My world will not be run by PC girlies.

I don't care!

implied that 'his world' was CWDF, which I'm sure it wasn't.

Lady Muck's reply:

Our FAQ's say nothing about p.c. but they do say you agree not to post anything that is 'obscene, profane, sexually oriented' I don't think our site owner, Dan, is a p.c. girly.

So Bye bye then!

was in fact the revised version, the original being:

I don't care either. So Bye Bye then!

An understandable reaction, exasperated by a series of attempts by various people to push the boundaries in The Friday Joke.

Gibbo would have been better to have come back next morning with an apology. He would have shown himself to be a bigger person, and the forum would have retained his expertise. As it was, he preferred not to lose face, and flounced off, leaving everyone diminished.

I did see the joke Gibbo posted, and it's not true that worse ones have remained up.

That is a matter of opinion.

I see no point in identifying jokes, still on that thread, that I believe are worse but I had no trouble finding them.

That apart I believe you are agreeing with all of my other points.

He'll be back. Apparently he is lurking as a guest so is probably still smarting from not getting his own way with the forum admin.

I work in the same industry as Chris albeit in a different sector.

There are lots of clever people in the industry like Chris and I have the privilege of working with some of them.

The British Marine industry is a world leader. However, most people are busy making a living and spending hours on forums answering electrical questions, usually repetitive ones, is something more suited to the retired.

His electrical advice was always welcomed. His opinions on just about everything else sucked, as did his 'jokes'.

I've had plenty of stuff on here removed and you don't hear me wailing about the PC Brigade. The only people that do are offensive bigots who don't realise how bloody offensive and bigoted they are.

Moaning about calling a spade a spade is just another way of asking why can't I call him a nigger. And if you don't know why then you fall into the category I just described.

I've not seen the joke btw but I'm happy to trust the mods on this, just like I'm happy to be reminded of the forum boundries myself. If you want offensive jokes go to http://www.sickipedia.org/ or 4chan, not the canalworldforums. There are times and places for these things.

I did see the joke Gibbo posted, and it's not true that worse ones have remained up. He posted it to be deliberately provocative, and I assumed charitably that he was p*ssed at the time. His acompanying comment:

implied that 'his world' was CWDF, which I'm sure it wasn't.

Lady Muck's reply:

was in fact the revised version, the original being:

An understandable reaction, exasperated by a series of attempts by various people to push the boundaries in The Friday Joke.

Gibbo would have been better to have come back next morning with an apology. He would have shown himself to be a bigger person, and the forum would have retained his expertise. As it was, he preferred not to lose face, and flounced off, leaving everyone diminished.

It this kind of pedantic crap that encourages most to think about leaving, input deletion I sure was just a clear cut, undisputable reason for making it so. Unfortunaly I dont have a problem with stuff being deleted really, after all it is the moderators job (apart from the stuff that doesnt contravene any T&Cs yet gets deleted away beacuse 1 or 2 complain they dont like reading it).

I'm pretty sure the "bye bye then" and now this thread put the nails in the coffin so to speak. lol :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Two plus me were probably not forum members then.

However they,and many more folk on this forum are very knowledgeable, not only about electrical matters,but a host of different trades and skills,but not everyone is confident, perhaps bold enough and a little''shy maybe'' to post their views and suggestions for fear of a possible onslaught of snipers,instead of a pleasant discussion and a swopping of each others views and ideas on the problem in hand.And indeed the names that i've mentioned including SNibble do all seem to be prepared to listen to each other and try to jointly solve an elec problem without getting heated.

A case in point. Sebrofs bow thruster. bizzard

You may be right, but frankly I find it difficult to take anything you say seriously whilst you persist in using that hideous avatar.

Edited by David Schweizer

he was very helpful if you sat in on one of his little clicks..the mods are volunteers and have lives away from this forum..if you post somthing and its taken down man up and take it on the chin...i found gibbo arrogant which i had no problems in telling him on open forum....if he wants to come back all well and good if not so what theres plenty of others that are more helpful and have less of an ego.......grow up and stop being a big baby gibbo......

His electrical advice was always welcomed. His opinions on just about everything else sucked, as did his 'jokes'.

I've had plenty of stuff on here removed and you don't hear me wailing about the PC Brigade. The only people that do are offensive bigots who don't realise how bloody offensive and bigoted they are.

Moaning about calling a spade a spade is just another way of asking why can't I call him a nigger. And if you don't know why then you fall into the category I just described.

I've not seen the joke btw but I'm happy to trust the mods on this, just like I'm happy to be reminded of the forum boundries myself. If you want offensive jokes go to http://www.sickipedia.org/ or 4chan, not the canalworldforums. There are times and places for these things.

Ahh Nigger...now that was a proper dog........and a bloody good film.

he was very helpful if you sat in on one of his little clicks..the mods are volunteers and have lives away from this forum..if you post somthing and its taken down man up and take it on the chin...i found gibbo arrogant which i had no problems in telling him on open forum....if he wants to come back all well and good if not so what theres plenty of others that are more helpful and have less of an ego.......grow up and stop being a big baby gibbo......

Ah, but he was arrogant because he was right when it came to electronics and electrics. He clearly had little time for idiots and people with less (or no real) knoowledge, who challenged him. I don't have a problem with that.

Ahh Nigger...now that was a proper dog........and a bloody good film.

Please don't take this one any further.

The word which, although derived from the Latin word for black, has always been used in the English Vocabularty to describe people of African heritage, and just because people called their dog by the same name, it does not make it's use any more acceptable.

Ah, but he was arrogant because he was right when it came to electronics and electrics. He clearly had little time for idiots and people with less (or no real) knoowledge, who challenged him. I don't have a problem with that.

What is the problem with so many people. Nigger was a dog owned by Gibson of Dambusters fame it was a real dog and was killed in 1943 the night before their fantastic raid. It was a black labrador......and a bloody good film.

What is the problem with so many people. Nigger was a dog owned by Gibson of Dambusters fame it was a real dog and was killed in 1943 the night before their fantastic raid. It was a black labrador......and a bloody good film.

Please see my ammended post:-

The word which, although derived from the Latin word for black, has always been used in the English Vocabularty to describe people of African heritage, and just because people called their dog by the same name, it does not make it's use any more acceptable.

the thread that rattled me was when he started about people not using there real names.....if he is great with electronics or not he is egotistical and arrogant....we all have the right to an opinion and this is mine.....it'l be cool if he comes back because he is/was popular with alot and did help alot......

Guy Gibson was one was one of my boyhood heroes and when we had a black dog (Lab/Collie Cross) I wanted to call it Nigger but I was over-ruled. This was back in the early 1960s! (The 1960s IMHO is the period when standards began to drop and PC rubbish began to take over.)

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Edited to add; GIBBO, PLEASE COME BACK!

Edited by ditchdabbler

]

the thread that rattled me was when he started about people not using there real names.....if he is great with electronics or not he is egotistical and arrogant....we all have the right to an opinion and this is mine.....it'l be cool if he comes back because he is/was popular with alot and did help alot......

But that is a misrepresentaion of his objections. His main disaproval was aimed at people hiding behind pseudonyms whilst using that coverage to insult others.

You may be right, but frankly I find it difficult to take anything you say seriously whilst you persist in using that hideous avatar.

Ok my Avatar Cleopatra could do with a little more make up perhaps,but don't despair she's off to a beauty spa soon to be ''done up a bit''. :closedeyes:

Guy Gibson was one was one of my boyhood heroes and when we had a black dog (Lab/Collie Cross) I wanted to call it Nigger but I was over-ruled. This was back in the early 1960s! (The 1960s IMHO is the period when standards began to drop and PC rubbish began to take over.)

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Edited to add; GIBBO, PLEASE COME BACK!

As someone who had to tolerate frequent xenophobic insults during my childhood years because of my surname, I was rather glad that by the 1960's, such behaviour was beginning to become unacceptable.

Is there a list of acceptable words we can use, I wouldn't want to use any unacceptable ones. Whats acceptable to me might be unacceptable to others, who says whats aceptable and what is unacceptable. Where do i get a copy of this English vocabularty..??

Is there a list of acceptable words we can use, I wouldn't want to use any unacceptable ones. Whats acceptable to me might be unacceptable to others, who says whats aceptable and what is unacceptable. Where do i get a copy of this English vocabularty..??

Sorry, are you trying to argue that nigger is an acceptable word to use or are you trying Reductio Ad Absurdum?